I need help guestimating this unique dish from a local restaurant.

Options
Hi,

DH and I went on a date last night to a restaurant that caters to Paleo and Whole30 type folks. First let me say how amazed I was at how delish it was.

but problem is that I had the below and have ZERO clue how to log it.

Anyone want to over estimate how many calories/fat grams/carbs were in this dish:

1/3lb Kobe beef burger patty

THE TRUE GRIT
poblano-cauliflower “grits,” sautéed
rainbow chard with mushrooms,
caramelized onion & herb salad

I can probably look up the hamburger patty. but the "true grit" I'm baffled. It was made with coconut oil and no sweatners.

Replies

• coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    maybe cauliflower "grits" are just riced cauliflower that has been sauteed? if so, then most of your items are really low calorie....poblano peppers, cauliflower, mushroom, onion, chard have few calories. So you would have to estimate how much oil and it's also possible the carmelized onions were helped to carmelize with sugar added. Even though they said no sweetners, they might not be considering that if they buy the onions already carmelized.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If I go out to eat and have a mystery food, I’ll usually just log random calories to max out my day, or even add a couple hundred calories. If you are going to go back and get that all of the time, you might want to call and ask bc it could have a lot of butter, or oil, and be deceptively high calorie.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry if I were you. I stopped estimating (up or down) restaurant's food without nutritional information in their website or in MFP. No matter what you log, it would not be accurate at all; specially with all the oil used in the cooking. Glad that you enjoyed.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would probably guess around 200-300 calories for the sauteed cauliflower grits.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So please don't take this flippantly, but if you call that restaurant I am certain they'd be willing to help you estimate it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Sounds Delish. Quick add 500 is my best guess
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The burger patty about ~400-450 (kobe beef would have more fat than normal/lean beef)

As to the rest, depends on the dressing for the salad and oil used for the sauté pan.
    The veggies depending on quantity would not be much more than 100-200 Cal
    So ~500 depending on serving sizes and what you think they used in terms of oil and dressing..

In all it sounds like a ~800 to 1000 Cal meal.

And quite tasty!