Introduction for Jim

Options
Hello, my name is Jim and I am a 50+ male. I decided back in May to do my first Spartan Race which I completed 29 Oct 17. I chose to use it as an opportunity to lose some body fat and get in better shape. I used a different app and did an LCHF diet which was very successful but I am now pursuing a higher calorie carb based diet to gain muscle mass and changed over to MFP to do so. I am doing this to get ready for my next Spartan and see how my body responds to a different diet style. My goal is to improve my finish in my age group which was #12 of 72 and my overall finish of of 492 of 1875 males in addition to cutting 15-20 mins off my run time. I am excited to read about other people pursuits, successes and challenges.

Replies

• hcoleman232
    hcoleman232 Posts: 95 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have to admit I had to look up what a Spartan Race was. Congratulations! That's quite an achievement. I hope your new diet yields the results you're looking for. As for myself, my challenge is to break up with my couch. I spend way too much time sitting on it and not exercising. Lol!! Actually, once I hit 50 the weight started to creep on and I've loss muscle mass from a sedentary lifestyle so I've been using MFP to get a feel of actual portion sizes and calories; what an eye opener. I've lost 10lbs and now need to incorporate strength training to gain back muscle mass. My goal is 30 minutes of cardio a day and strength training 3 times a week.
  • jestog63
    jestog63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Great job and good luck to your endeavors, I always worked out but as I got older it got easier to skip so adding an athletic goal made it much easier because I had something to work toward. Plus several of my family members also joined me in getting ready and doing the race so it also turned out to be a great family get together.