Back injury need motivational friends

Options
Hello all! I need some friends. My situation is a little different than many. I have a back injury that keeps me from doing much. I am a 54 yo female and have realized I can't live the rest of my life in bed. So I have joined the gym and am spending my time in the hot tub and walking in the water. I could use some motivation because I have no friends who live near me and have to go to the gym alone. Also could use help trying to eat better. My diet is supposed to be high protein, low carb, no sugar. I hope to add more water exercises over time. Friends needed!!

Replies

• Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Despite being very active until my early 40's, I've struggled for the last 6-7 years with piriformis syndrome, and last year thought I'd never be active again after herniating 3 discs in my neck. Rehabilitation was slow, but I'm finally on the mend, and I'm back to Pilates twice a week. I'll probably never run again, but I walk 5 km every single night. There is hope :-) Feel free to add me.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    At 66 y.o., I'm not only naturally a couch potato but I have pretty severe scoliosis that now hurts so I am really the definition of "sedentary." I've lost 32 pounds since June simply through eating at a 500 calorie/day deficit most days. (I try not to go over more than once a week but a girl's gotta eat with reckless abandon on occasion.)

You don't have to have any particular percentages of protein, carbs, etc., to lose weight so make choices of what to eat based on your druthers, health factors, and how it affects your hunger pangs. For example, I avoid artificial sweeteners or carbohydrates at breakfast because both make me hungry all day long. Each of us finds a different thing that works for us.

32 down, 111 to go. We can do it!!
  • sunnyg1861
    sunnyg1861 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to be active, but, I have had more surgeries than I can count from cervical vertabre fusion to surgeries on my arms, a rod in my femor, foot surgery and the list goes on. I have motility disorders and sleeping disorders and arthritis and fibro. and most days it would be easier to stay in bed, when I just had another scan and surgery is in my near future for the 2 herniated discs in my lubar regrion. I feel like I can't win but I cannot give in. I have for too long. Some days I feel like even walking is painful! I am tired of living like this. I need to lose this. It would be easy for me to just say it's ok, obesity is a family thing that they see as ok. I just cannot. I do not have a accountability buddy. That is why I was looking at this board to see who was here. I am not generally one to post on boards but I think I need to find accoutabliity for my self and maybe try to help someone else if I can.
  • alexzwk
    alexzwk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dumb question here but ... I received a friend request and the person had written a note. I accepted the request before reading it and now I can find what was written. Is there a place to see things like that?