Need cooler ideas... Again

Options
2»

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of hours in my car and am also completely grain free. My main items are eggs, nuts, and cheese. And it does get really boring. To tell the truth, I spend hours hungry sometimes. When you don't eat grains, such as bread, it's harder to take things on the go that cannot be heated. I enjoy lettuce wraps with chicken, steak, or eggs. Veggies dipped in dressing, hummus, pb, etc can be pretty easy.

I'll be watching this thread as I could use ideas as well.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of hours in my car and am also completely grain free. My main items are eggs, nuts, and cheese. And it does get really boring. To tell the truth, I spend hours hungry sometimes. When you don't eat grains, such as bread, it's harder to take things on the go that cannot be heated. I enjoy lettuce wraps with chicken, steak, or eggs. Veggies dipped in dressing, hummus, pb, etc can be pretty easy.

I'll be watching this thread as I could use ideas as well.

I do eat bread... Just gluten free bread.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Make a large frittata in a square Pyrex dish then cut it into squares and portion it out. You can put any type of veg, cheese, meats, in. Or make an apple and cheese one, quiche Lorraine style( no pastry needed) Mexican beans and salsa.
    The variations are endless and it is knife and fork friendly.
    I find quiche/omelette type foods are as tasty cool as they are hot.

Make sandwiches as lettuce or seaweed wraps, wrap in grease proof paper to keep them from falling apart, and so you don't touch them.

Cold soups, oh sorry I can't think of the one I wanted to say, but there is one that is avocado and chicken stock based. Ah here we go gazpacho & vichyssoise, fruit soups are good too. You can just put them in a thermos or a ziplock container.

That is the best I can come up with for now.
    Cheers, h.
  • elphie754
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Make a large frittata in a square Pyrex dish then cut it into squares and portion it out. You can put any type of veg, cheese, meats, in. Or make an apple and cheese one, quiche Lorraine style( no pastry needed) Mexican beans and salsa.
    The variations are endless and it is knife and fork friendly.
    I find quiche/omelette type foods are as tasty cool as they are hot.

Make sandwiches as lettuce or seaweed wraps, wrap in grease proof paper to keep them from falling apart, and so you don't touch them.

Cold soups, oh sorry I can't think of the one I wanted to say, but there is one that is avocado and chicken stock based. Ah here we go gazpacho & vichyssoise, fruit soups are good too. You can just put them in a thermos or a ziplock container.

That is the best I can come up with for now.
    Cheers, h.

Thank you. I have never actually made a frittata before. Is it just egg and the fillings you chose to add? Also, are they able to be frozen? I find when ever I make large portions like that, a lot goes to waste, so being able to freeze them would cut down on that.

I am ashamed to say this, but I have never heard of fruit soup before. Is it like a fruit cup that gets blended into liquid?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hmm I rarely follow a recipe for a frittata, basically it is an omelette baked in the oven, or a quiche without cream and pastry.
    If you just made one with 6 eggs and the etceteras in one of those 8x8 Pyrex dishes it would be 4 servings. That amount would be enough to eat from the fridge in 1 week. They do freeze but are a little soggy, not my preferred way to eat them, but I have.

Fruit soups, especially berry soups are very refreshing and tasty. They are basically mushed fruits with either cream, yogurt, creme fresh, or other liqudish dairy and herbs or spices added. Some are cooked and cooled others are made cold.
    Oh do you like egg custard? You could bake them in individual pots and take them with you.
    Time to go to my Zumba class. I will check back later if you have any other questions.
    Cheers, h.
    Oh just thought, have you ever tried pastry made with lentil flour? I have had it in Indian restaurants and it is quite good, never tried making it myself though.
  • ruizv17
    ruizv17 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You could get a portable stove- plug it into the car so you can heat up stuff. I was thinking of getting this for my brother who drives trucks and has a hard time eating a healthy meal. It might help.

http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-12-Volt-Portable-Stove-Black/dp/B00030DLEE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418949488&sr=8-2&keywords=portable+oven+12v
  • elphie754
    Options
    Hmm I rarely follow a recipe for a frittata, basically it is an omelette baked in the oven, or a quiche without cream and pastry.
    If you just made one with 6 eggs and the etceteras in one of those 8x8 Pyrex dishes it would be 4 servings. That amount would be enough to eat from the fridge in 1 week. They do freeze but are a little soggy, not my preferred way to eat them, but I have.

Fruit soups, especially berry soups are very refreshing and tasty. They are basically mushed fruits with either cream, yogurt, creme fresh, or other liqudish dairy and herbs or spices added. Some are cooked and cooled others are made cold.
    Oh do you like egg custard? You could bake them in individual pots and take them with you.
    Time to go to my Zumba class. I will check back later if you have any other questions.
    Cheers, h.
    Oh just thought, have you ever tried pastry made with lentil flour? I have had it in Indian restaurants and it is quite good, never tried making it myself though.

The frittata sounds simple enough. Guess ill be burning down the kitchen.... Erm experiementing with cooking them tomorrow. As odd as it sounds, I almost never buy eggs, so old I am making something that calls for egg I have to go to the store. I'm just not a "plain egg" type of person.

The fruit soups sound really good, especially since I love yogurt. Ill start looking up some recipes.

I don't think I have ever tried egg custard. It was just something we never ate when I was growing up (my mom hated the taste).

Pastry as in crust for pies and stuff or as in baked deserts? If I bake, I typically make my own crust with rice flour. The brand cup4cup seems to be the best non-wheat flour so far (at least to me).

Thank for the suggestions and taking the time to answer my questions. Hope Zumba is fun :).
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much time you have but if there's time to reheat meals: I have a thermos that keeps soup hot for about 7 hours. My husband didn't have access to a microwave at work for a period of time, so I put his hot lunches in the thermos. I would make a giant pot on Sunday so I'd just have to heat it up in the morning for a few minutes before packing it. I've also put other things in it like pasta or rice and veggies. As long as you heat it up enough before putting it in the thermos, you should be ok!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    You could use a thermos-just add hot water to the thermos-microwave the food-then dump the water out of the thermos and add the hot food. I use thermoses with metal linings-not the old fashioned glass kind. If you want to eat out of thermos look for the wide mouth kind.
    Then you can have soup, or hot meals ie chili, casseroles, meatballs or whatever you desire.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    looks like emmaline and I not only think alike but we were typing at the same time.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I don't know how much time you have but if there's time to reheat meals: I have a thermos that keeps soup hot for about 7 hours. My husband didn't have access to a microwave at work for a period of time, so I put his hot lunches in the thermos. I would make a giant pot on Sunday so I'd just have to heat it up in the morning for a few minutes before packing it. I've also put other things in it like pasta or rice and veggies. As long as you heat it up enough before putting it in the thermos, you should be ok!

Unfortunately there is never a guarentee if I have access to a microwave or not. Sometimes we are lucky if we get a chance to eat lol. I usually bring cold food but might mix it up.
    meritage4 wrote: »
    You could use a thermos-just add hot water to the thermos-microwave the food-then dump the water out of the thermos and add the hot food. I use thermoses with metal linings-not the old fashioned glass kind. If you want to eat out of thermos look for the wide mouth kind.
    Then you can have soup, or hot meals ie chili, casseroles, meatballs or whatever you desire.

I will look for one on amazon later for one, although very water soup may not work since I usually have to eat while the vehicle moving.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I know this is from 3 years ago, but once again looking for cooler ideas for work.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So if I understand correctly criteria are:
    - cooler friendly
    - not eaten with hands (I assume fork/knife/spoon are available for use)
    - gluten, wheat, barley, oat and red dye free

The place where I tend to eat my lunch has 1 microwave for over 1000 students. I don't have the patience to wait for said microwave to be available. So the ideas below are all things I eat regularly for lunch without heating/reheating. I tend to eat them for supper the night before, then again for lunch. Some keep well for 2-3 days in the fridge, so I'll have them as a supper/lunch again later in the week without having to prep again.

Ideas:
    - chickpea/lentil salad with veggies and a yogurt dressing
    - Tabouleh (made with bulgur. Does that work with your allergies?)
    - veggie/chicken stirfry
    - Fresh fruit mixed with yogurt. Add some roasted almonds/walnuts before eating for a bit of crunch
    - Cheese/breakfast sausage salad with veggies and a light ranch dressing (rather calorie high depending on how the veggie to cheese/sausage ratio is)
    - Mashed potatoes with a veggie and chicken sauce (yes. I like cold mashed potatoes...)
    - Risotto (my current favorites are pumpkin with pomegranate seeds and dried tomatoes)
    - Wraps made with omelette instead of wheat flour wraps (I usually put ham, cheese and veggies in while it's still warm. The cheese them melts around everything. I usually wrap it in grease proof paper to keep it holding together, then place in a tupperware to prevent it getting smashed up)

(Let me know if you're interested in any of those, and I'll type out the recipes)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How do your colleagues manage their eating? Can you eat enough before and after work instead of during? Bulgur is wheat.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    How do your colleagues manage their eating? Can you eat enough before and after work instead of during? Bulgur is wheat.

Brain fail from me then and I was too lazy to look it up. :smile:
  • elphie754
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    So if I understand correctly criteria are:
    - cooler friendly
    - not eaten with hands (I assume fork/knife/spoon are available for use)
    - gluten, wheat, barley, oat and red dye free

The place where I tend to eat my lunch has 1 microwave for over 1000 students. I don't have the patience to wait for said microwave to be available. So the ideas below are all things I eat regularly for lunch without heating/reheating. I tend to eat them for supper the night before, then again for lunch. Some keep well for 2-3 days in the fridge, so I'll have them as a supper/lunch again later in the week without having to prep again.

Ideas:
    - chickpea/lentil salad with veggies and a yogurt dressing
    - Tabouleh (made with bulgur. Does that work with your allergies?)
    - veggie/chicken stirfry
    - Fresh fruit mixed with yogurt. Add some roasted almonds/walnuts before eating for a bit of crunch
    - Cheese/breakfast sausage salad with veggies and a light ranch dressing (rather calorie high depending on how the veggie to cheese/sausage ratio is)
    - Mashed potatoes with a veggie and chicken sauce (yes. I like cold mashed potatoes...)
    - Risotto (my current favorites are pumpkin with pomegranate seeds and dried tomatoes)
    - Wraps made with omelette instead of wheat flour wraps (I usually put ham, cheese and veggies in while it's still warm. The cheese them melts around everything. I usually wrap it in grease proof paper to keep it holding together, then place in a tupperware to prevent it getting smashed up)

(Let me know if you're interested in any of those, and I'll type out the recipes)

Those all sound good (with the exception of the bulgar).

Many of my coworkers with grab fast food or food from a deli (if we have time).
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Batch cook a bunch of veggies - I like zuchinni, butternut, eggplant, mushrooms and bell peppers and put in Tupperware containers. Eat cold with a fork. They last for up to 5 days. Easy, peasy and filling. Add (keep in a separate Tupperware or ziploc) chicken, beef, shrimp, whatever. Finish with a Greek yogurt -- via spoon. Boom.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Great ideas everyone. Will be trying them out this work week. Thank you !!