LOW CARB // GLUTEN FREE // VEGETARIAN & really really broke :(

Options
I am a long time vegetarian that recently went gluten free (I get migraines or stomach problems if I eat gluten, probably not celiac though)...

Any suggestions for really cheap proteins?
Occasionally I eat eggs, yogurt and cheese if a friend gifts me some...

I have about 10$ a week for food... what proteins/foods would you recommend...??

Replies

• littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Garbanzo beans. You can make it so many ways and they are cheap. I make burgers, falafel, stews, and cooked garbanzos. Pair with mashed potatoes, squash, gluten free tortillas and bread, salad, brown rice.. yummy. I eat them everyday. They are also alkaline.
  • Gotta_lose_it
    Gotta_lose_it Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too am gluten free and recently have discovered that corn is an issue as well and am giving the vegetarian diet a chance again. I did it years ago...thinking about trying again. Would love to add you as MFP friend
  • dianemcmurtrie
    dianemcmurtrie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennifer.
    Definitely any type of dried beans, peas and lentils.
    Canned Tomatoes can be added for soups/ stews and sauces.
    Frozen spinach/ peaa/ beans have some protein also.
    Search Google for lots of different recipe ideas.
    Di
  • spacebear47
    spacebear47 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dried beans are very cheap. Save up for a slow cooker to make them easier. I sub iceberg or romaine lettuce for chips and tortillas. Throw in some homemade pico de gallo to improve the flavor of the beans. I eat apples when they are a dollar per pound or bananas with peanut butter. Organic peanut butter at Walmart is $0.53 per 12 g of protein. They also sell organic soy milk which is $0.50 / 12 grams of protein. My meal diary is open feel free to friend me we are gluten free and on a budget as well.
  • Jennifer76elena
    Jennifer76elena Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to login for quite some time, due to broke person phone issues... but thank you so much for recommendations, I really appreciate it. ☺
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's hard to eat low carb when you're a vegetarian, because you're eating mostly plants, which is mostly carbs.

If you're low on money, you can't be too picky. But you still need good nutrition. You have to find cheap foods in general, not just protein foods. I don't think it's possible to feed oneself on 10 dollars per week.
  • Jennifer76elena
    Options
    Sometimes friends and family gift me food when they clean out their pantry
  • Jennifer76elena
    Options
    Because I have a huge stockpile of rice, oatmeal, beans, I use the 10$ a week for variety
  • Jennifer76elena
    Options
    I am going to make a list of vegetarian proteins organized by cost per gram of protein.

Was wanting any suggestions of what other people eat, who are on a budget....
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Because I have a huge stockpile of rice, oatmeal, beans, I use the 10$ a week for variety
    That's good to hear. This means that your situation isn't as dire as it sounded at first. Rice, oatmeal and beans would be your staples anyway.
    Was wanting any suggestions of what other people eat, who are on a budget....
    Sometimes friends and family gift me food when they clean out their pantry
    What other people eat, isn't going to be much help for you. You have to work with what you have. Apply some principles. You need to plan your meals to some extent, but also be flexible. "Reverse planning" and "shopping from your pantry" are good strategies. So is looking out for sales, but also making sure it's really a good bargain (how is the price per pound, and price compared to other brands?). Price per pound is usually lower for a bigger pack, so buy as large quantities as you can store and eat up before it spoils, but not so much that it crowds out other items you need.

When you cook, make appropriate amounts, either just enough for one meal, or make enough for leftovers, which you store properly and eat in a timely fashion. Eat up everything.

Stick to the cheapest acceptable alternative in every category - fruit, vegs, nuts, cheese, oils, but try to buy different items every time (what's cheapest, tends to vary, so use this to your advantage). Stick to foods that keep for a long time (potatoes, sweet potatoes, onion, cabbage, carrots, apples) and forever (frozen vegetables and berries). Eggs are usually cheap.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Have your explored the possibility of supplementing your food budget through such avenues as food pantries, soup kitchens, and government subsidies? Ten dollars a week for food is going to make it difficult, if not impossible, to eat a well-balanced diet. Your health is paramount!
  • Jennifer76elena
    Options
    During times that I am not working, I do go to a foodbank. Usually how I get the beans, rice, oats... and after I get food there, 1x a month, is when I buy food to fill in the gaps to be able to make meals.