Favorite Subs for Making High Cal Food Low Cal?

Options
I really, really enjoy figuring out ways to make my favorite foods with the least number of calories possible.
Does anyone else do this? Have any suggestions?

Turkey (or shrimp) Tacos
I used Mission low carb wraps- they have 11 grams of fiber and only 130 calories.
I take three turkey meatballs, chop them up and mix them with fresh bell pepper, onion and a few tablespoons of salsa
Then I spread 1 tablespoon of fat free cream cheese on my heated wrap (I usually just let it sit on my pan of peppers for a minute)
The cream cheese tastes just like sour cream for only 15 calories.
This whole thing is under 250 calories- (You can do shrimp instead!)

I also really enjoy my version of mac and cheese:
2 oz of pastina mixed with 2 tablespoons of Locatelli Romano cheese (20 calories per tablespoon) a little "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray and some red pepper flake to taste. SO good. Under 300 calories

Replies

• sasham100
    sasham100 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.greatist.com/health/healthy-recipe-substitutions/

They have substitutions for cooking, baking, sweeteners, etc. Great resource.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    -ground turkey or ground chicken instead of beef
    -part skim shredded mozzarella instead of whole fat cubed cheese
    -1 egg & the rest egg whites instead of 2 or 3 eggs
    -I add cinnamon to my oatmeal so that I don't feel deprived in flavor by only using 1/2 my regular amount of brown sugar
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt for sour cream pretty much changed my life!!
  • syates83
    syates83 Posts: 87
    Options
    Found some great alternatives on this website...

www.skinnytaste.com
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes
    Greek yogurt instead of sour cream
    Sunflower seeds instead of chips
    I think those are my main ones. I try not to use too much sweetener, but Splenda does a great job when I do use it.
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    I think those are my main ones. I try not to use too much sweetener, but Splenda does a great job when I do use it.

Whenever try to use cauliflower instead of potatoes it never works. How do you cook 'em?
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Whenever try to use cauliflower instead of potatoes it never works. How do you cook 'em?

The other day I cut up a cauliflower and an onion and just threw them in a big pot of boiling water. I let it boil until the cauliflower was very, very soft. Then I drained it all using a colander, then I mashed it up with a masher. I added some fat-free greek yogurt and I had mashed potatoes. I put some buffalo sauce on them (I know, I'm weird) and they were really good.

I got that idea from a post a couple weeks ago.