Looking for calorie intake help.

Options
would love some insight. Please. I posted this on someone else's thread unintentionally.
I would like to lose body fat and possibly after that gain muscle but one thing at a time.
I am female, 36. I weigh about 169lbs and am 5'4"
I am seeing a calorie intake of 1467 per day based on minimal excersise when I plug in my info. I do plan to increase my exercise but that is my current state.
Any info would be helpful and much appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So with less than 50 lbs to lose, set your goal to 1 lb per week. You may be able to do 1.5, but that would be the absolute most.

1500 plus exercise sounds reasonable. The key is to remember that all any calculator can do is give you a starting point. Give it 4-6 weeks and if your results don't come close to what you were expecting, tweak from there.

As soon as you can, start adding in more exercise, even if it's just a brisk walk every day. As a fellow not tall girl, I know every extra 50 calories helps!

If you don't have one yet, get a food scale and use it as often as you can. It made a huge difference for me in getting my portion sizes (and therefore my calories) in line.

Be patient, keep your focus on long term progress, don't let bad days derail you, and good luck!

^^Great advice.

Also, double-check the MFP database entries you use against package labels or the USDA nutrient database (ndb.nal.usda.gov). Avoid entries for home-made food entered by other users, because you have no idea the amounts of different ingredients they used, how they cooked it, etc.

Was there something else specific you want to know about, @larapringle?
  • larapringle
    larapringle Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks for both replies. Oh there is probably lots I need to know and I'll accept all the help I can get. The calories is a great start. I want to make sure I start out right.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Thanks for both replies. Oh there is probably lots I need to know and I'll accept all the help I can get. The calories is a great start. I want to make sure I start out right.

Check out the "most helpful threads" post at the top of this forum, and other "stickies" (threads users have voted to be pinned at the top of the forum, so they don't get pushed down if people aren't posting new comments on them).
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just to encourage and congratulate you on making a start. Also on asking advise from the right place and people. :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    So with less than 50 lbs to lose, set your goal to 1 lb per week. You may be able to do 1.5, but that would be the absolute most

Fifty pounds is the difference between healthy weight and obese. It would catapault most people right through the overweight category, and would possible put some short people into almost morbidly-obese.

You can absolutely lose 2 pounds per week with 50+ to go.

I don’t know if this applies to the OP (I didn’t see the goal weight) but for others reading this, that “50 lb” rule is bunk.

Another more specific guideline for healthy weight loss is to aim for no more than 1% of your body weight/week, which would max the OP out at about 1.5 lbs/week as @kimny72 said. It helps ensure a person's weight loss will be both safe and sustainable. I still have about 45 lbs to lose and I would be gnawing my own arm off on a 2 lb/week goal. I would say it's preferable to go with a less ambitious goal a person can actually stick with, not just what's possible, regardless of a person's starting weight.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I've been on a 2 lb. per week goal and it was fine until this week, I just changed it to 1.5 lb. My SW was 237, and I'm down to 209. (My goal weight is 137) I lost pretty steadily since July, with a 3 week maintenance break for vacation. I'm the same height as the OP, but 25 years older, so my calorie intake and TDEE will most likely be lower. I work out regularly now, about 6-8 hours per week. I had to change my goals since the MFP recommended intake before exercise was now down to 1200. I eat back all my exercise calories, and really was getting hungry this past week--I tend to eat mostly whole foods and cook my own meals. I knew it wasn't going to let me go below 1200 even though it should be to maintain the 2 lb. loss. I had planned to maintain the 2 lbs. until about 190, but it seemed too agressive.

Everybody is different, and the OP has youth on her hands, but I would tend to agree with the recommended loss of 1% of the bodyweight. She doesn't have that much to lose to be in the normal range.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    So with less than 50 lbs to lose, set your goal to 1 lb per week. You may be able to do 1.5, but that would be the absolute most

Fifty pounds is the difference between healthy weight and obese. It would catapault most people right through the overweight category, and would possible put some short people into almost morbidly-obese.

I don’t know if this applies to the OP (I didn’t see the goal weight) but for others reading this, that “50 lb” rule is bunk.

Another more specific guideline for healthy weight loss is to aim for no more than 1% of your body weight/week, which would max the OP out at about 1.5 lbs/week as @kimny72 said. It helps ensure a person's weight loss will be both safe and sustainable. I still have about 45 lbs to lose and I would be gnawing my own arm off on a 2 lb/week goal. I would say it's preferable to go with a less ambitious goal a person can actually stick with, not just what's possible, regardless of a person's starting weight.

A specific, non-validated, opinion-driven guideline that is. No evidence or physiologic rationale driving that. User experience at an individual level may make that more successful for some but not necessarily for others.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

MFP would have me eating 900 calories a day if I set my loss to 2 lbs/week (and it allowed goals that low). I have about 50lbs left to lose. I am obese. That 50 lbs will have me just shy of overweight. I'm short. Blanket statements and advice are bad.
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    One thing you could add right away for exercise if you have the time is walking. Walking is the best all-around exercise. I have walked off 37 lbs and I don't have a saggy belly. It's good for your body core.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

I didn't say anything about a rule. For many women, once you get within 50 lbs of goal weight, you would have to eat a dangerously low number of calories to stay in a 1000 calorie deficit. And OP is 5'4, 169 lbs and limited exercise so she fits right into that category.

I have seen countless young women come to this forum and ask about weight loss pills, dangerous supplements, working out for hours a day, and flat out giving up because they are trying to eat 1100 cals per day in order to try to lose 2 lbs per week. So thanks, but I'll keep telling them to stop rushing, just my opinion.

for sure. i have less than 50 to lose. i eat around 1200. i say AROUND 1200. sometimes more, rarely less. i still lose.

people forget that they didnt gain the weight quickly, and they wont lose it quickly, especially with less to lose
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    A permanent change to your body is more like a 50-mile hike than a 400 meter sprint. If you're so inclined, I'd encourage you to read this excellent and short article on how to approach your journey.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/walking/faq-20058345

Generally speaking, it discusses how dietary changes are more important for weight loss. Exercise becomes increasingly important on your journey to keep the weight off.