Creatine questions.

Options
5'11 male.
140 lbs.
Goal weight is 160 lbs.
I got a micronized creatine monohydrate.
Have decided not to load it.
Please let me know the quantity, when to take it and how to take it.
Also, what results can I expect after a month?
Thanks.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    One teaspoon every day, whenever you want.

You'll likely gain a little water weight over the course of a month. But you probably won't see any big changes just because of creatine.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    5g every day is a safe bet, timing doesn't matter. Unless you're a non-responder you'll notice some weight gain (water weight) until your tissues are fully saturated with creatine. Any extra strength/muscle gain will be negligible from only a month. Creatine might work, but supplements are there to supplement your nutrition and training, not cover for any lack of them.
  • saurabhdadhich26
    saurabhdadhich26 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My trainer has told me to take 5 grams pre workout and 5 grams post workout, making it 10 grams a day.
    Will that be okay?
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a waste of creatine to me. After about 5 days or so your muscles will be saturated... You're just going to waste 5g of creatine into the toilet every day. You might (big maybe) be able to "supersaturate" for a very brief period of time (like a day or two) but there's no way you will get any measurable benefit from more than 5g per day unless you are well over 200 lbs... It just doesn't have anywhere to go.
  • saurabhdadhich26
    Options
    Also, should I drink a lot of water?
    Can anyone tell me the exact amount of water I should be taking?
  • tomjanecourtney
    tomjanecourtney Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    3 litres per day.
    Not easy to do, takes determination and ‘Flavour Drops’ from MyProtein.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My trainer has told me to take 5 grams pre workout and 5 grams post workout, making it 10 grams a day.
    Will that be okay?

Timing isn't relevant for creatine. When you get to the muscle saturation point you don't get any benefit from more or timing it around workouts. Your trainer should know this so be dubious about any nutrition advice he/she may give.

5g daily should be plenty for your size. I know it's very inexpensive but pointless to take more than you need or can use. Beware not everyone is a responder (or may get enough from their usual diet already) and it can cause stomach upsets for some - another reason not to take too much.

You just need to stay hydrated there isn't an exact amount of water needed. Enough is enough,
    There's no benefit from chugging down excessive amounts and too much can mess with your electrolytes.
  • saurabhdadhich26
    Options
    Also if you could tell me should I take it on non training days?
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Yes, every day.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Also, should I drink a lot of water?
    Can anyone tell me the exact amount of water I should be taking?

i looked it up when i bought my first can, and i think i found 'half a cup of water per gramme of powder'. i usually drop my teaspoonfull into twice that, personally. partly just because i'm extremist, but also partly because i seem to feel optimal when i'm at about 4l of water per day.

i'll stress that that's pretty personal though. i'm somewhere between 130 and 140 pounds and not massively muscular, so obviously i just have a system that likes me to drink a whole whack of water. anyway. half a cup was the baseline standard i found.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Will that be okay?

Timing doesn't matter. Although if you're doing 10g a day... that's loading.
  • stanmann571
    Options

ERRRDAAY!!!
  • stanmann571
    edited November 2017
    Options
    3 litres per day.
    Not easy to do, takes determination and ‘Flavour Drops’ from MyProtein.

No less than 2 no more than 5. Its not really that hard.

I generally drink 1L every 2-3 hours throughout the day... spread out..

Your body can't process much more than 1L an hour of total fluid intake; which includes food/water/soda/beer/wine/etc. IF it's not dry, it counts. Which is why I wouldn't recommend any more than 1L every 2 hours, because water poisoning is a real thing.