Mindful eating

Options
Does anyone have any tips or resources on how to eat more mindfully?

I'm a very fast eater. I notice that at times I eat compulsively fast, almost inhaling my food. I also tend to not really think about the food I'm eating while I do that. I tried to focus on what I'm eating but my thoughts drift off constantly. And I think that this leads me to not registering that I'm full and overeating.

Replies

• brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    tl;dr: yep, it's cico, but mindfulness helps.

This is an interesting question and one I've thought about. Years ago, I tried to follow Judith Beck's suggestions in one of her several books on cognitive behavior therapy and eating. I ate without reading, TV, phone, or computer to distract me, I sat down with a dish (i.e. no grazing in the kitchen), paid attention to every bite, and so on. This helped me recognize the link I have between reading and unconscious face-stuffing, but after a couple of successful months I slipped back into my old ways and weight.

At the moment I am eating breakfast while posting, haha! I have to agree with @YepItsKriss: serving myself only what fits in my goals for the day and logging on MFP have been the most effective way for me. No guesswork. My kitchen scale keeps me honest.

However, I do think paying attention to my food, sometimes praising a dish out loud, and focusing on the enjoyment of eating helps me see what I am doing now (counting and logging for slow steady loss) as self-care, not deprivation.
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I count. Every chew. I count how many chews it takes to finish a bite and that makes it very mindful for me. My mind will drift off too. And while im counting drop the fork and you can use your foot or hand to tap to your counts in your head as well
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Eating within my calories i find i never get to the point of over eating since the portions are regulated by my calorie goal, so i can either eat slow or fast or swallow it whole, my satiety will be the same.
    tl;dr: yep, it's cico, but mindfulness helps.

This is an interesting question and one I've thought about. Years ago, I tried to follow Judith Beck's suggestions in one of her several books on cognitive behavior therapy and eating. I ate without reading, TV, phone, or computer to distract me, I sat down with a dish (i.e. no grazing in the kitchen), paid attention to every bite, and so on. This helped me recognize the link I have between reading and unconscious face-stuffing, but after a couple of successful months I slipped back into my old ways and weight.

At the moment I am eating breakfast while posting, haha! I have to agree with @YepItsKriss: serving myself only what fits in my goals for the day and logging on MFP have been the most effective way for me. No guesswork. My kitchen scale keeps me honest.

However, I do think paying attention to my food, sometimes praising a dish out loud, and focusing on the enjoyment of eating helps me see what I am doing now (counting and logging for slow steady loss) as self-care, not deprivation.

I do prepare my food and count everything before I sit down eating, of course. However, sometimes I finish eating really fast and I still fill hungry, and at times I decide to eat something else because I think I'm hungry and not eating now will just lead to more hunger and overeating later on. But really I just needed to eat slower. And the habit of eating mindlessly and too fast makes it hard not too overeat when eating out and you don't know the exact calories or in super stressful situations or during the periods of increased PMS hunger when I often feel almost out of control of what I'm eating. I'm just trying to develop a a life long habit of mindful eating and healthier attitude towards food and eating

But anyway, thanks for the tips!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I'm still hungry after I eat too. It takes 20 minutes for the stomach to communicate "Full" to the brain. I think this is a cruel joke God plays on us.

So, set a timer?

I think the eating out part will come in time. You'll realize two things: 1. One big meal isn't going to sidetrack your progress. 2. You'll have a much better idea of how much to eat after logging your meals at home for a while. The restaurant food will look like a HUGE amount of food. Because it is. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating in front of the t.v. or on the run, sit down at the table and focus on the food.
    Being mindful in other areas of your day will help with food-mindfulness.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I practiced slow mindful eating of small bites when I first started losing weight as a means to get me used to eating less food. I chewed every mouthful so thoroughly, and it's become an established joke in the family how long it took me to eat.

To some extent, those days lingered a bit because I am a slower eater than I used to be, but since I've been at this three years, I pretty much rely on the control of my calorie limit and logging to keep things in check. I also pad my meals with lots of low calorie vegetables to help fill me up.

One of the things I do to help with that feeling of being still hungry after eating if and when it happens (it doesn't always, and it always passes) is to make a cup of herbal tea. Zero calories. It gives me something to take in and it feels filling and sipping it passes the time that it takes for the actual food that I've eaten to make me feel full.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    No clue. I'm either logging my food or eating like an *kitten*.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try eating with chopsticks, especially if you are bad at it.

Look up the mindful raisin exercise.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to do this recently. One tip I have for mindful eating is to think about what you're eating long before you sit down at the table (also, sit at a table, hopefully with other people eating the same thing). For me, thinking about my food makes it that much more satisfying when I eat it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I can't do mindful eating. I enjoy my food but am always doing other things at the same time and I hate my food going cold. I just know that what is on my plate meets my calorie requirements so eat it all. Sometimes I am still a bit hungry afterwards but know that it takes 20 minds for the brain to catch up with the stomach with that fullness feeling.
    Got to do what works for you. Saying that I would love to be able to do more mindful eating because it would mean relying less on counting calories and more on intuition long term.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    oat_bran wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips or resources on how to eat more mindfully?

For me it's always about getting back to my breathing. Before I eat, I take some deep mindful breaths to get centered...