Tipping

Options
What should one tip a pizza delivery person?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It depends partly on the employer. The drivers at the place we order from get paid tip wage, which means they are not making minimum wage and depend on their tips for income. They used to get gas money but don't anymore. So we tip them substantially - at least 20%. As a result we get very, very good service.

If the drivers get minimum wage or more, you can get away with tipping less. I would consider a minimum 1 dollar per item.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Are you being charged a delivery fee when place your order? Ask the person taking your order, or call them if you are ordering on line.

I still tip anyways and one reason is they still deliver to me although I live just outside the pizza delivery's zone.

Maybe go with 25% excellent service, 20% normal service, 15% poor service..
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Are you being charged a delivery fee when place your order? Ask the person taking your order, or call them if you are ordering on line.

I still tip anyways and one reason is they still deliver to me although I live just outside the pizza delivery's zone.

Maybe go with 25% excellent service, 20% normal service, 15% poor service..

The delivery fee is not a tip. It goes to the company, not the driver.

All things depend on if the tipping you give the driver goes back to the company or not. You need to ask if you want to tip on top of delivery fee..

Small chains here are different than larger chains. Not an argument, just saying ask up front so you know policy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Don’t ask a Canadian.
  • AidenT94
    AidenT94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Since I used to work as a pizza delivery driver, I always tip very well, at least 25% of my bill. If the weather is bad (rain, snow, etc.), tip more. I used to get stiffed all the time on tips from people when the weather sucked.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The drivers at the place we order from get paid tip wage, which means they are not making minimum wage and depend on their tips for income.

Funny how we don't tip most service workers, like teachers, police, cashiers, chefs, etc - only the ones whose employer underpays them. What a strange arrangement.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I tip 3-5 dollars, depending upon the service and the weather. If it's truly nasty outside (heavy rain, snow, or really cold), I will tip more. For reference, I'm usually ordering one pizza and a 2L of soda, which runs around 15-17 dollars including delivery fee.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I tip five bucks.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I usually do like 2.50$
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    What does this have to do with weight loss?

You can reduce your tip and burn some extra calories by meeting the driver at his car?