100 pounds down ...If I can do it, so can you...

in 2014, i woke up one day and said 'i'm done'. I was tired of being fat, I was tired of hurting, I was tired of being tired... I was done. At the time (as my long time friends on here know), I was caring for my husband, who was partially paralyzed due to a stroke (hes now deceased), was in a *kitten* marriage at that, and also caring for my grandparents in ailing health. I worked from home and had 2 kids. it wasn't a new year, it wasn't any particular date. Just a random day at some point where I ... was done. I didnt go crazy. I made small changes. mastered those, add more. so on and so on. I didnt make myself crazy by depriving myself of anything. If i ate too much one day. no biggie. its one day. if i ate too much one WEEK. okay, pull it in, Deb. And I did.

Three years brings lots of changes. My grandparents passed, I left my husband, then he passed, met a (usually lol) pretty amazing guy, and bought a new car, and then a new house with him. In a new state. I'm obviously an idiot, cause we're getting married in a few months. Glutton for punishment, I suppose ;)

Over the past year, I have essentially maintained my weight. Havent logged much, exercised even less - time and life and stuff gets in the way for all of us. But .... I never STOPPED. I maintained. I didnt GAIN. That, in itself, is an accomplishment, especially for not tracking or logging or doing anything than intuitive eating and continuing to make the same food and portion choices I had trained myself to do.

And then, today, for whatever reason. Maybe its life settling back down, maybe it's just that time, whatever .... but I came to the realization that I almost to my goal. I started at 280 pounds. I am at 180. I ONLY have 50 more pounds to go. After losing 100, 50.... is not a scary number. and if i get to 130, nothing will happen its a number. the gravitational relation of my body mass to the Earth. And if i dont get to that number, thats okay too. it is, just a number. That number has no relation on my happiness, my self worth, my intelligence, sense of humor, or how much my fiance loves or wants me. But for ME, I have learned, if i want to lose at the rate I PREFER (and with the amount i still have to lose)... I have to workout. Ive MISSED it. not only for weight loss, but also for how it makes me FEEL. So, signed up at the gym today.

And this, my friends... especially my NEW friends, who are just starting and who are or will get discouraged (we ALL do).... is how its done. its a lifestyle change. not a 'im never eating ice cream or pizza again' change. Not coming up with some meticulous workout plan that youll never stick to. Not living off the same bland foods day after day. Its learning how MUCH to eat, period. Its moving MORE. period. Its WEIGHING your food on a scale to the point where it becomes habit and second nature. its knowing you CAN eat what you want - fast food, restaurants, alcohol ... you just have to PLAN for it.

Because if *I* can do this. If *I* can lose ONE HUNDRED *kitten* POUNDS..... you can too. Whether your goal is 5, or 300. Its easy to do, but it does take dedication and self accountability. It takes TIME. None of us got fat overnight. it took months, YEARS. You will NOT lose it quickly. And heres the thing ... the SLOWER you lose it, the more likely you are to KEEP it off. And thats the goal, isnt it? To KEEP the weight off. You dont have to cook yourself separate meals. My fiance needs to GAIN weight (the *kitten*). I give HIM more. larger portions, more dressing, more butter on his bread, etc. I give ME less. but we eat the SAME food. Its not rocket science.

I did it. I am DOING it. So can YOU. Hang in there.

qbmzxnadzgzx.jpg

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Great story &awesome results. Congrats on maintaining for a year. That's incredible & I know what a great accomplishment it is!!
  • 4gig
    4gig Posts: 22 Member
    That’s an amazing story’s you look happy. I wish you the best of luck as you continue to move forward with your life.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Well done
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Very inspirational! Thanks for sharing.
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Wow! You look like a completely different person. Thanks for sharing your awesome story. I needed the inspiration and motivation Tonight:)
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Totally unbelievable what you've done. Congrats on your success
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    I'm so happy to read this. Thank you for sharing.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited November 2017
    What a fantastic, motivational posting!
    Thank you for the inspiration and congratulations on your accomplishments!

P.S. You look amazing, beautiful and happy!
  • jmbeckford
    jmbeckford Posts: 22 Member
    wow! you are my hero! thanks for sharing this story, it really spoke to me on many levels.
  • jspecies19
    jspecies19 Posts: 21 Member
    Amazing transformation in your life on so many levels. It’s good to see that you are now taking care of you. Congratulations.
  • Bkind2meAli
    Bkind2meAli Posts: 38 Member
    Good for you!!!!You look awesome! Congratulations!!! :)
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    Bump - so motivating and true!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited November 2017
    in 2014, i woke up one day and said 'i'm done'. I was tired of being fat, I was tired of hurting, I was tired of being tired... I was done. At the time (as my long time friends on here know), I was caring for my husband, who was partially paralyzed due to a stroke (hes now deceased), was in a *kitten* marriage at that, and also caring for my grandparents in ailing health. I worked from home and had 2 kids. it wasn't a new year, it wasn't any particular date. Just a random day at some point where I ... was done. I didnt go crazy. I made small changes. mastered those, add more. so on and so on. I didnt make myself crazy by depriving myself of anything. If i ate too much one day. no biggie. its one day. if i ate too much one WEEK. okay, pull it in, Deb. And I did.

Three years brings lots of changes. My grandparents passed, I left my husband, then he passed, met a (usually lol) pretty amazing guy, and bought a new car, and then a new house with him. In a new state. I'm obviously an idiot, cause we're getting married in a few months. Glutton for punishment, I suppose ;)

Over the past year, I have essentially maintained my weight. Havent logged much, exercised even less - time and life and stuff gets in the way for all of us. But .... I never STOPPED. I maintained. I didnt GAIN. That, in itself, is an accomplishment, especially for not tracking or logging or doing anything than intuitive eating and continuing to make the same food and portion choices I had trained myself to do.

And then, today, for whatever reason. Maybe its life settling back down, maybe it's just that time, whatever .... but I came to the realization that I almost to my goal. I started at 280 pounds. I am at 180. I ONLY have 50 more pounds to go. After losing 100, 50.... is not a scary number. and if i get to 130, nothing will happen its a number. the gravitational relation of my body mass to the Earth. And if i dont get to that number, thats okay too. it is, just a number. That number has no relation on my happiness, my self worth, my intelligence, sense of humor, or how much my fiance loves or wants me. But for ME, I have learned, if i want to lose at the rate I PREFER (and with the amount i still have to lose)... I have to workout. Ive MISSED it. not only for weight loss, but also for how it makes me FEEL. So, signed up at the gym today.

And this, my friends... especially my NEW friends, who are just starting and who are or will get discouraged (we ALL do).... is how its done. its a lifestyle change. not a 'im never eating ice cream or pizza again' change. Not coming up with some meticulous workout plan that youll never stick to. Not living off the same bland foods day after day. Its learning how MUCH to eat, period. Its moving MORE. period. Its WEIGHING your food on a scale to the point where it becomes habit and second nature. its knowing you CAN eat what you want - fast food, restaurants, alcohol ... you just have to PLAN for it.

Because if *I* can do this. If *I* can lose ONE HUNDRED *kitten* POUNDS..... you can too. Whether your goal is 5, or 300. Its easy to do, but it does take dedication and self accountability. It takes TIME. None of us got fat overnight. it took months, YEARS. You will NOT lose it quickly. And heres the thing ... the SLOWER you lose it, the more likely you are to KEEP it off. And thats the goal, isnt it? To KEEP the weight off. You dont have to cook yourself separate meals. My fiance needs to GAIN weight (the *kitten*). I give HIM more. larger portions, more dressing, more butter on his bread, etc. I give ME less. but we eat the SAME food. Its not rocket science.

I did it. I am DOING it. So can YOU. Hang in there.

qbmzxnadzgzx.jpg

Absolutely positively W <3o:)<3 W--you're looking fabulous and your attitude and encouragement ROCKS, period. You look tremendous!!!
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Very inspiring read! Thanks for sharing your story. You look terrific!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    thanks! it takes time and dedication and patience, but most certainly CAN be done. :)
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    I see you have a daughter in the picture - she looks to be about the same age as my girls.
    How did you lose weight and also convey to your daughter that weight isn't what's most important?
    I am struggling with that now.
    Like, I just keep saying "I need to lose weight so I can be healthy and be around to see you guys forever" but I hope that's the message they are receiving!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    congrats that is amazing. you look magnificent
  • buddingrose
    buddingrose Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you so much for sharing... i needed the encouragement...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    I see you have a daughter in the picture - she looks to be about the same age as my girls.
    How did you lose weight and also convey to your daughter that weight isn't what's most important?
    I am struggling with that now.
    Like, I just keep saying "I need to lose weight so I can be healthy and be around to see you guys forever" but I hope that's the message they are receiving!

my daughter is now 19 LOLOL the baby in the stroller is 11 LMAO

focus it on being HEALTHY. so you can run, play, have energy, feel good.

i never made it a big deal in my house. if you dont make a big deal out of it, they wont either.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!