Alternative to Yogurt?

Options
Hi. I’m new here. I love yogurt, but it’s so high in sugar. Is there a healthy alternative to yogurt that is not a pill or supplement? I’m looking for a food alternative. Please comment with any suggestions. Thank you.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to watch your sugar intake?

Unless you're buying flavored yogurts, the sugar in it is the lactose from the milk.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What yogurt are you buying? Anything that is already flavored/sweetened likely has added sugars. Buy plain, unsweetened and add your own fruits or flavoring syrups.

But, there isn't anything wrong with eating the sugar in the yogurt if you like it. I'm assuming the rest of your meals are balanced and that you hit your other nutrient requirements.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Alternative in what sense? How are you eating your yogurt (flavored yogurt straight from the plastic cup? flavored or unflavored mixed with oatmeal? plain yogurt as a savory topping? added to smoothies? etc.)? Are you looking for something you can use as a one-to-one swap in the meals you are using it in now, or looking for something that's a close nutritional match that might not taste similar to yogurt and might not work in the way yogurt does in the ways you eat yogurt? Are you specifically looking for something with probiotic bacteria?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt is lower in sugar. Yogurt is healthy as part of a balanced diet. I can’t imagine a creamy alternative that would be lower in sugar.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese?
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Some Greek yogurts have very low sugar. I eat Chobani plain (6g carbs, 4g sugar). I add in fresh berries, and walnuts. Fage plain is also low on carbs and sugar.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Silken tofu, or chia pudding made with some low sugar milk or plant alternative. I don’t understand your diet concerns, but those are both pretty creamy.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Get unsweetened plain yogurt and sweeten it yourself with stevia/splenda/monkfruit/honey or whatever floats your boat
  • gingerpus99
    gingerpus99 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been using plain quark with raspberries and cinnamon. Also I've whipped quark into sugar free jelly to make a mousse. Low sugar, low fat, high protein.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What are you looking for? Any other food for about 100-150 calories? Food with calcium? protein? Breakfast foods? Snack foods? Travel foods?
    Sugar doesn't mean a food is unhealthy. Weight loss is about calories not type of food.
    Cottage cheese could be an option but I don't know what you are looking for.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Most of the sugar in yogurts is natural.. its lactose. Most of the sweetened ones i get are done so with fruits or purees.

I personally increase my yogurt comsumptiom during weight loss because its low in calories and highly satiatimg to me. Often, i eat 10oz in the am and another 5.3oz for lunch.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Alternative in what sense? How are you eating your yogurt (flavored yogurt straight from the plastic cup? flavored or unflavored mixed with oatmeal? plain yogurt as a savory topping? added to smoothies? etc.)? Are you looking for something you can use as a one-to-one swap in the meals you are using it in now, or looking for something that's a close nutritional match that might not taste similar to yogurt and might not work in the way yogurt does in the ways you eat yogurt? Are you specifically looking for something with probiotic bacteria?
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    What are you looking for? Any other food for about 100-150 calories? Food with calcium? protein? Breakfast foods? Snack foods? Travel foods?
    Sugar doesn't mean a food is unhealthy. Weight loss is about calories not type of food.
    Cottage cheese could be an option but I don't know what you are looking for.

These are the questions I would ask.

But generally speaking, I'd say eat yogurt, plain, add some fruit if you want (or if you are low carbing full fat plain yogurt plus walnut butter is delicious, although not THAT low carb).
  • cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Skyr. Its high in protein - about 66% of the calories are proteina dn the rest carbs. Looks like yoghurt, tastes like yoghurt.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt has no sugar because the bacteria which convert the milk to yogurt do so by consuming the sugar in the milk. However, we have to like yogurt to consume it. Control the sugar in your yogurt by mixing your amendments yourself into your own plain yogurt.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    For probiotics/beneficial bacteria? Cultured buttermilk, cultured sour cream, uncooked saurkraut, kimchi, miso.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt has no sugar because the bacteria which convert the milk to yogurt do so by consuming the sugar in the milk. However, we have to like yogurt to consume it. Control the sugar in your yogurt by mixing your amendments yourself into your own plain yogurt.

The plain whole milk Greek yogurt I get (various brands) has 8 grams of sugar per cup and 220 calories. I add another 80-100 with fruit preserves. Full fat yogurt sweetened with real fruit preserves is so good it is worth finding somewhere else to compromise, IMO. I am spoiled by it and don't like that fat free junk anymore. Some fat and some sugar in the diet is not a bad thing.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I have been using quark recently because it is lower calorie and higher protein. The consistency is like thick yoghurt.