losing weight without food scale

Options
2»

Replies

• baoyaoren
    baoyaoren Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you lost several inches, it means you should be doing something right.

Basically, if you started a new exercise regime, your body needs to build the muscle suited to that exercise.

You started about 6 weeks ago, meaning that if you keep the same level of exercise you should probably see weight loss soon.

If don't start losing weight and stop losing circumference over a week or two, and you don't want to deal with a kitchen scale (I don't) you can try to change the nutrient ratio of your meals. Look at what you have logged now, if you tend to surpass the preset nutrient goal with sugar, carbs or fat. Change the meals to reduce that one, and instead add more vegetables and protein. Even if your measurement isn't exact, as you homecook it should be relatively consistent.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You would probably be shocked how your portions will be different than eyeballing while using a scale. Not just food scale but measuring spoons as well.
    A food diary is a mandatory tool too!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is eat less than you burn. That said a scale is a super useful cheep too. It is silly and much harder to go without.
    Can you build a shed without a hammer? Perhaps but it is a cheap easy tool that would make it much better so why would you skip it?
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    A food scale is a great tool. As others have mentioned you would be very surprised at how much a serving of something is when weighed.

As for the weight and inches. It is better to believe what you see in the mirror and when you measure then what the scale says. Muscle weighs more then fat so it could be that you have started to gain muscle.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing inches! I am happier about losing girth around my waist than hitting a particular weight. My clothing is definitely fitting better. I would agree with those who recommend buying a food scale. I made very good progress without one for three months, then seemed to stay at the same weight. I started using a food scale and discovered I was overeating calorie-dense foods like cheese because I underestimated what a one ounce serving looked like. I wasn't accurately logging in my calorie intake because I was making guesses.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Concur with many posted comments.... in the beginning just cutting out processed foods, booze, takeaways, sodas, ice cream etc works - and amazingly so! I lost 60lbs in 7 months doing that alone. However there comes a time when you're leaner and leaner bodies require more hands-on management. In a sense every calorie counts. Now 3.5 yrs and 99lbs down I weigh pretty much everything I eat. That includes having a scale in my drawer at work which makes the team giggle as they call it my druggie scale.
    The beginning of the journey is tough, the end of the journey requires grit and focus.
    For me the last 5lbs are elusive.
    Will my body co-operate... probably not.
    Will I give up.... probably not.
  • neerajanarayan1967
    Options
    Excellent comments and advises. Thank you very much for the overwhelming response.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I did but halfway through I plateaued and it wouldn't budge. Changing my workout routine and getting that scale not only jumpstarted the loss but took me all the way to the finish line.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Some do but I can't. I slide right back up to eating like a 280 pound woman and become a 280 pound woman. I'm finally accepting that I will always need to weigh and measure both my food and myself. If I could do it without those tools I wouldn't have spent the last 50+ years of my life fat.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Just start out with measuring spoons and cups. If you use them faithfully, and you're not getting the results that you want, then invest in a food scale. I use both, and my problem is not that my equipment isn't accurate enough, it's that I get tired and just start eating without even trying. So I'd say the first step for both of us (maybe) is just get used to taking the time to measure and write down what you're eating. I gained a lot of weight just trying to eat less without actually quantifying anything.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, what worked for me so far has been reading the labels on everything BEFORE I buy it. I spend a lot of time at Trader Joe's (thank the good Lord above for the TJ here in Winston-Salem). I have spent a lot of time and money on things not from Trader Joe's but have had really good luck there. In that they have the things that I like. I am a creature of habit, which I think is helpful as well.

I also - when making something - have my measuring cups. Both the spoons and the cups. So, I have it all covered. There are no excuses any more. Also, been doing this for almost two years at this point so have a pretty good idea by eyeballing things. Still, I don't trust that *IF* I can measure it.

Portion size and control is super important.

Also, taking the time to experiment with what works for me and what does not work for me has been a blessing. I was out of the gym for three months and spent a lot of time playing with things. What happens if I eat more than 3,500 calories for a week? What is my true maintenance caloric intake? What happens if I eat 1,700 calories for a week. So, real world stuff. I know the answer to those questions....and to many many more.

Using an on-line TDEE Calculator - as I have stated at least 1,000,000 times - is a great starting point and a great way to start close. But, you HAVE to invest the time in figuring out these things for you for real....which means that you use an on-line TDEE calculator, track / log your weight using that number for two or three or four weeks (the longer the better) and see what happens for you. And then adjust accordingly. Once you graph stays flat you know that you have pretty much found your maintenance number. Opps....this is MFP where they do things a bit differently (bmr + eat back a % of work out calories burned). Same concept applies.

Weighing myself every day and having the mind set that each day is simply a data point on the graph for the week is HUGE. Mind set is everything.

Logging is really important, as well. I have helped several people who had no idea what they were eating (and their guesses were WAY OFF). I was not much better. And, I do not use MFP for logging food. I use another way, one that works much better for me. But, the point is, I log my caloric intake each and every day.

Getting good at logging was also really helpful. At first you think that you are doing a good job but you really suck at it. It takes a little bit of time and practice to get good at logging food. Both in doing it (how many 'meals' do you skip in the beginning?) and in doing it accurately. Was one serving one tsp or one Tbsp? HUGE difference.

Anyway, just my experience......

And, finding what works best for YOU is key. What works for your buddies is great....for them. May or may not help you. Lots of people get offended when you ask them what they do and then you do not follow suit. I just tell people - as I have said in here 1,000,000 times - that everyone is different and I tried that for three weeks or whatever but it did not work for me. if you frame things that way then people will understand that their input is valuable to you and will not get <kitten> off when you ask them for the 10th time 'What are you doing about this or that?'.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!