How to cook squash?

Alright, I guess when i attempted it yesterday, it didn't turn out good at all..i used a saucepan, used a few cups of water, and lit it simmer for an hour and burned the crap out it not even 1/2 way through the cooking process. What did i do wrong? I always thought use little water or the nutrients will be sucked out.

Replies

• WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
    This is for yellow squash if you want to know..:smile:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    Slice it and grill it...
  • mommymeyersto2
    mommymeyersto2 Posts: 32 Member
    Now that I am eating low cal I just slice it thin, or make long thin strips with a veggie peeler. I use my "spray olive oil" just a spray or two, add garlic, salt, pepper and saute on low. It will cook very fast. You could do the same thing with a little water to help "steam" it.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 373 Member
    I like to saute it with the smallest amount of oilve or coconut oil. Just slice it into rounds, and then cut those in half. You can add some sliced onion, fresh garlic, and black pepper. You can sprinkle some freshly grated parmesan on top, too. Yum!
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    I like it steamed rather than boiled. And it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to steam it if you cut it in small "chunks". Or you can cut it in bite size pieces and saute them in a little bit of oil or with the cooking spray.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    I like it grilled myself, just get it nice and charred on the outside then cover it and let it sit a few minutes, should be pretty nice! I just had some like that with zucchini the other night.
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    You're exactly right - not a whole lot of water but - Bring it up to a boil - listening rather than seeing, turn it way down with a lid on it so it sort of steams, and then keep an eye on it. You can also roast it with olive oil and seasonings/spices of your choice. I put mine on a rack in a baking sheet.
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Slice it in thin slices, put it in a pan with just a little olive oil and you can put sliced onions and fresh garlic...cook just a little while over medium heat. Very yummy. Also, you can slice them lengthwise about 1/4 inch thick, spray each side with pam...sprinkle with garlic salt or just pepper if you're watching your sodium and throw them on a hot grill for a few minutes on each side. I've had them like that daily lately and very yummy. Good luck!
  • Just put a few holes in the squash and throw it in the microwave until you can cut it. After that just steam it in a bag or over boiling water.... not in it. Hope this helps! :)
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    I just spray some EVOO in a pan and sautee it.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I slice it and roast it with a little EVOO in the oven or I grill it. I haven't once ever boiled any vegetables. I always roast, grill, or steam them.
  • For yellow squash, I use about an onion to roughly three to four squash sliced less than 1/2" thick. The onion, doesn't matter how big you slice it. Add salt and pepper. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan like 1/2" or so. Cover and steam on medium - high heat about 15 mins and stir a few times. Don't let it run out of water! Add more if it needs it. Enjoy!
  • take a knife, stab it a few times so it can breathe, then stick it in the microwave for about ten minutes. then cut it open. if it's not done you can microwave it for more.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    I like it steamed rather than boiled. And it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to steam it if you cut it in small "chunks". Or you can cut it in bite size pieces and saute them in a little bit of oil or with the cooking spray.

We have various types of summer squash weekly during the summer. Love to steam it and once the water is boiling it only takes about 5-7 min. depending on how thin it is sliced.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    If you're steaming it in a pot with a small amount of water in the bottom (like 1/4 cup), bring it to a boil with a lid on it, then turn down to medium once it's boiling, then it should cook up in around 5 minutes.
  • I cook alot of banana squash. I just rinse it off ( I leave the peel on it)....slice it..sometimes thin, sometimes thick. Drizzle olive oil in a non stick pan...or use zero calorie cooking spray. Toss the squash in pan..and lightly sautee..just for a couple minutes.....don't over cook, it'll dry out and burn. It's so yummy :tongue:
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    slice in half, place in a roasting tin. half fill with cold water roast for 45 min........
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    1/2 inch slices - toss in a hot saucepan with grapeseed or EVOO & seasonings. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. If it's getting a tish transluscent or browned looking, done.

Personally, I love mine with a Basil Pesto oil and garlic :)
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    i cook it a few different ways,
    one, i deseed it and skin it cut into cubes and boil hard for about 20 mins.
    the other you can skin it, cut it in half deseed it. slice into thin slices, bake on a cookie sheet tossed with a little olive oil and garlic powder server with spray butter,

you can also (if you dont mind a few extra cals.
    skin and deseed them slice into chucks bake in a cake pan turned soft side up with a dab of sugar free syrup and a sprinkle of brown sugar. yummm..
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    I like to saute it with the smallest amount of oilve or coconut oil. Just slice it into rounds, and then cut those in half. You can add some sliced onion, fresh garlic, and black pepper. You can sprinkle some freshly grated parmesan on top, too. Yum!

YUMM!! I think I'm gonna pick up some squash after work! =D