Looking for some motivating words of wisdom (or verbal abuse) to keep me from lagging at the gym

Options
For a few months I was doing great at the gym. I was going every other day and sticking to a variation of the 5x5 strong lifts program. Last month I only went a couple of times total because a number of random reasons - friends and family staying with us, a cold that got the better of me, hubby having to go away for work so I had to stay home in the evening with the kids... the excuses go on and on. The couple of times I did go to the gym last month, I had zero strength. And, since it had been so long, I didn't feel obligated to stick to any sort of a program, so I just did whatever I felt like doing. I know that's no good.

Anyone have some kind motivating words or a verbal kick in the *kitten* they're willing to share with me?

Replies

• yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't have any words off the top of my head, but what works for me is always remembering how much better I feel while I am working out and how I feel afterwards. It makes me want to go back.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    That's just life, really. We will always have unexpected things come up and we just have to adapt. It's okay that you don't start right back up at your prior lifting or workout level. When things throw you off it takes a bit to get back on track.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Just go when you can and maybe do the same moves you were doing before but if you have to use a light weight, so what? I do that when I'm not feeling my best. Use lower weights and higher reps if possible.

Sorry, not very "motivating" but for me acceptance and having several Plan Bs seem to help.
  • IronDogJourney
    IronDogJourney Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I’d hate to kick anyone in the kitten!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    No kicks. They won't work. You need a better plan.

For one thing, you need an at home backup. There are some days the gym will not be possible. That's life. Look on YouTube. There are lots of workouts that you can do at home just using your body weight. Some use resistance bands. No need to spend much money.

It just has to be strenuous enough for you to be able to look yourself in the eye, and say you did a workout and mean it.

This way, workout time is workout time. Gym or no gym. Your time slot remains in place, your good habit is preserved.
  • ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I went away at the end of the month and came back just in time for Halloween. That seriously threw me off my routine for about a week and a half. Today I went nice and early to the gym and have felt so much better today than I had for the last few days. I also made much better food choices. For me, fitness and nutrition go together. So for me, having gone to the gym first thing this morning, I ate better all day, which in turn has me feeling better all the way around.

Your motivation should come from feeling good. We all have times when we are thrown off our routine, but ultimately we are all here to do better for ourselves. So your motivation may just need to be all those feel goods.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It's time for a new workout routine. You might be bored with it, your body would be if it's been the same for a long time. And I definitely agree with another commenter, you gotta have something you can do at home. It can get exhausting always having to troop to the gym to get your workout in. You might find it easier to do if all you have to do is change your clothes and get started.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the words and advice! I like the idea of coming up with a back up home work out in case I can't get to the gym. I really think I need a new gym/lifting plan. 5x5 was a great start, and I've been working on a loose variation of that for a couple of months, but with my changes, I feel like I'm sort of off track. I really need to pick something new so I can stick with it. I like plans and lists and structure and what I've been doing lately is not that.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves apparently has a bodyweight pgm you can do at home.