I eat allot of rice, grains, pulses - are these OK as a quick lunch on there own

Options
My local grocery store do really nice packets of wholegrain rice, rice and quinoa. a variety of pulses and different grains all in a pack and ready to microwave. Lots of different mixes and choices.

I often eat these when out and about as they can be consumed hot (microwave) or cold.

Sometimes I just have plain long grain rice too.

They generally have 400 - 500 calories and 60-70 grams of carbs but minimal fat.

Are they OK consumed on there own daily or would it be best to pair them with more protein and good fats. They are every high in protein anyway per pack.

I am not diabetic but just since I eat 1 or 2 packs every day - I feel I should make sure.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calories and macros for the day, then yes.

I'd want something with more protein and fat personally.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I’d be most worried about the sodium, if they are the seasoned kind.
  • jordanblakejpgr
    jordanblakejpgr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is the sort of thing I mean.

mho0dq96ylll.jpg
    y8g1hg780npd.jpg
  • jordanblakejpgr
    jordanblakejpgr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I’d be most worried about the sodium, if they are the seasoned kind.
    If it fits your calories and macros for the day, then yes.

I'd want something with more protein and fat personally.

check out the picture i posted here - thats the sort of thing.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    That blend looks really tasty. Great find. As long as you are getting protein and fruits/veggies w other meals, and they aren’t to high calorie for you, I wouldn’t worry.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, my original comments still stand.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    That's 500 kcals for 14g protein and 12g of fiber.

That's ok. What are your goals?

The only real issue is protein (which is debatable). The issue being that's a lot of calories for that amount of protein.
    Figure out what nutrition you need to focus on and base what you eat around that.

For example, if you find you need 90 g of protein and 38 grams of fiber a day and you're calorie goal was 2000 kcal, this meal would take up 1/4 of your daily calories. This would leave 1500 kcals to get the 76 g of protein and 26 g of fiber. That would be practical in that scenario.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    That's 500 kcals for 14g protein and 12g of fiber.

That's ok. What are your goals?

The only real issue is protein (which is debatable). The issue being that's a lot of calories for that amount of protein.
    Figure out what nutrition you need to focus on and base what you eat around that.

For example, if you find you need 90 g of protein and 38 grams of fiber a day and you're calorie goal was 2000 kcal, this meal would take up 1/4 of your daily calories. This would leave 1500 kcals to get the 76 g of protein and 26 g of fiber. That would be practical in that scenario.

Just in the name of accuracy, it's actually 414 kcal for 14 g protein and 12 g of fiber (label has two columns for nutrition, per 100 g and per serving -- you're combining the protein and fiber from the first column with the calories for the second.

Other than that, you make very good points.