Luna bars...good or bad?

Options

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    They're great, I keep them on hand when I have the spare grocery money since they have more iron than any other bar.

But don't get the caramel flavors, they're awful (take it from a culinary geek, you can not make healthy, organic, good tasting caramel. You can have 2 out of 3, but not all three at once!)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Great way to make Luna Bars at home with a fraction of the cost:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/219261-larabars-made-at-home
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options

These are awesome to make at home, although I'll note that Luna bars are different from Lara bars.

The caramel nut brownie is my favourite flavour. I like to eat them mostly when I'm super hungry and waiting till whatever I'm making is done cooking, or for right after a workout. I try not to eat them too often, just because I generally avoid processed food in favour of fresh food, but I don't think they're bad for you or anything.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

These are awesome to make at home, although I'll note that Luna bars are different from Lara bars.

The caramel nut brownie is my favourite flavour. I like to eat them mostly when I'm super hungry and waiting till whatever I'm making is done cooking, or for right after a workout. I try not to eat them too often, just because I generally avoid processed food in favour of fresh food, but I don't think they're bad for you or anything.
    :blushing: ah, sorry I don't know what I was thinking. :blushing: I guess I was excited to share this link I'd found ..and got confused for a moment.:wink::laugh: Well now I'll have to try a Luna bar, I've seen them but never tried one. :tongue:
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'll occasionally have one when I don't have time for breakfast. It's filling and keeps me going all morning.
  • Emi_chan
    Emi_chan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't see the protein ones when I bought these, but would like to try them. Do they taste as good as the regular Luna bars? I know a lot of protein bars tend to have a really weird after taste. BTW I just had the peanut butter cookie one and it was delicious! I'll have to try the peppermint one too; it sounds really good!

I LOVE Luna Bars (9g of protein) but don't care for the Luna Protein (12g of protein) - not much of a difference to me when it comes to protein intake....at least to me. The only one that I can see myself eating occasionally are the Luna Protein Mint Chocolate Chip and the Cherry Almond. But the Luna Protein bars are more expensive, smaller in size and to me...don't taste as good. So for me, the Luna bars are definitely a better investment. My favorites are the Chocolate Peppermint Stick, Chocolate Raspberry, Caramel Nut Brownie and Cookies n' Cream. :bigsmile:
  • Tyra1976
    Tyra1976 Posts: 21
    Options
    I've never considered trying a Luna bar. Hmm... reading this thread makes me want to try them.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Did a search to see what people are saying about Luna bars as I was considering having one for snack right now. Just had a white chocolate macadamia and it was delish.
  • RunningMom09
    RunningMom09 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love the Nutz Over Chocolate, it satisfies my chocolate/peanutbutter cravings:smile:
  • SKilmartin
    SKilmartin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love Luna Bars!!! They are delicious. I haven't had one for awhile... I should buy some!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I buy them all the time now! I actually like all the flavors I've tried, but my favorites are the iced oatmeal, peanut butter cookie, lemon, and blueberry ones. They're almost always on sale at Dillons for $1 each. I hate taking pills of any sort, but have a little bit of an iron deficiency, but when I take these I get all my iron and don't feel tired. Definitely worth it, at least to me! I don't really care for the protein ones though, just because I don't really care for the smooshy texture.
  • Meganleigh298
    Meganleigh298 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally love them! And if you're obsessed with peanut butter like me try the peanut butter cookie Luna bar. Its my all time favorite!! ????
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love the Lemon Zest one. So good, but too many carbs for me on most days (I do better if I keep the carbs under 100g per day). I have one here and there though.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    IMO waaaaay too much sugar, and carbs...but mostly sugar. I'd rather have a Snickers that tastes good. If I'm looking for a protein bar, I do Quest and the occasional Think Thin.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat a real candy bar.

Wouldnt everyone in the world rather have a real candy bar?? We are trying to be better... make substitutions where we can... :noway:

I think their point is that Luna bars aren't far off from candy bars nutritionally except for a bit more protein. The sugar is super high in these.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Just because they are soy based I buy one once in a while, they are good though especially the coconut one.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like Luna bars, but not the protein ones so much. I really wish they would make one with less sugar. And not with a sugar substitute, just less sugar, because they are super sweet. Haven't tried a flavor I don't like:) Sometimes I get the minis, 'cause I want a smaller "treat".
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Quest Bars for the protein and fibre, otherwise like a PP I'd have a Snickers etc.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Love luna bars. Since going gluten free, I can't have the regular ones anymore, but the luna protein bars (I second the recommendation for the cookie dough flavor - awesome!) are definitely a life saver for me when I need something easy that I can stash in my purse in case of emergencies.

Lara bars are pretty awesome too.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I'll grab a Luna bar (especally caramel nut brownie) in a pinch when I don't have time for real food, and they're pretty good for the occasional pre-workout fuel snack. I couldn't eat them as a regular staple, though. They make me belch some kind of metallic flavor and I get a headache if I eat them too many days in a row. Also, they're not that great as a protein supplement gram-for-calorie compared with real food. Even an egg has twice the protein for fewer calories.