Fruit

Options
Ok, so I've never been a big fruit eater - and I think I have logically discovered why. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :happy: )
I've been a sweets eater - there I said it. My mom loves to bake - homemade cakes, cookies pies, cookie bars - you name it, she bakes it. My dad has a great metabolism, and evidently she does too - he's 82 and weights maybe 155, and she's 80 and weights about 130 - both average height.
I decided awhile that I would stop with the sugar. When I wanted something sweet, I would chew a piece of gum, or get some fruit. Now that I have very little sugar in my system, fruit tastes SO good! It's very sweet.
I wonder if the sugar does something to our taste buds? Seems like it to me, because I'm pretty sure the fruit hasn't changed all that much.
So, my challenge to everyone is to try eating no sugar for a week, and then curb your sugar cravings by eating fruit!
Hope it works for you like it did for me! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• buttahbaby
    buttahbaby Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I will give a try... sounds good. Thanks.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Glad that you have a taste for fruits now! Yes, they are so delicious!
  • mponeil1982
    Options
    The 'natural' sugar you get from fruits is SO much better for you than counter top sugar! I too am a sweet-aholic! Recently, however, I dove back in to the wonderful world of juicing! While cleanup of home juicing can be a deterant, putting fresh fruit in a juicer and drinking that juice is WONDERFUL and VERY refreshing! NOT to mention the concoctions one can come up with and NO added sugars! Just what's naturally occuring!

When I find myself with a sweet tooth now, and am near my juicer, I'll pull out some fruit and juice away.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    Yes! I discovered that some fruits are actually TOO sweet for me. Dates are like caramels to me now. I can only have them every so often. After a little while you'll start tasting the sweetness of your veggies, too. Roasted sweet potatoes and onions are SO sweet that I eat them often as a treat side dish now.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fructose is actually not better for you than sucrose. Also, fructose is much sweeter than glucose and sucrose, so that's why it tastes sweeter. Too much sugar deadens the palate.
  • mponeil1982
    Options
    Tiger, I'm curious where you arrive at the conclustion that fructose is 'not better' for you? Everything I've read talks about how natural occuring sugars, such that occur in fruit, gradually increases your blood sugar levels, levels off, and gradually decreases. Table sugars, which are a form of sucrose, cause more of a drastic increase and drop of sugar levels, thus causing the 'sugar high' and 'sugar low' people say they experience.

High Fructose Corn Syrup, however, is evil!