Woops I forgot to enter all my snacks yesterday

Options
I definitely understand and congratulate MFP on their stance for eating too few calories. I could see how some individuals might use it to practice disordered eating. However, yesterday I snacked a lot and didn't track them.

I entered my meals and hit "complete day" and I got scolded for not eating enough calories. I'm 200lbs so disordered eating is not quite an issue for me right now. LOL. Well.... Not that kind of disordered eating anyway.

so I went back and had to think of all the snacks I ate and as I'm typing this I just realized I forgot another.

So snackers. How do you track your snacks.
I had:

a hand full of roasted almonds
a v-8
1 serving of beef jerky
2 slices of swiss cheese.

Nothing crazy but enough to tip the progress scale.

Replies

• maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I track them on my phone as I eat them or before.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I added extra meals to my diary (Settings>Diary Settings>Customize Meal Names) so I have Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Morning Snacks & Drinks, Afternoon Snacks & Drinks and Evening Snacks & Drinks. Pre-log where possible or log as I go.

ot7nzbk5238b.png
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I added extra meals to my diary (Settings>Diary Settings>Customize Meal Names) so I have Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Morning Snacks & Drinks, Afternoon Snacks & Drinks and Evening Snacks & Drinks.

Great idea.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    I definitely understand and congratulate MFP on their stance for eating too few calories. I could see how some individuals might use it to practice disordered eating. However, yesterday I snacked a lot and didn't track them.

I entered my meals and hit "complete day" and I got scolded for not eating enough calories. I'm 200lbs so disordered eating is not quite an issue for me right now. LOL. Well.... Not that kind of disordered eating anyway.

so I went back and had to think of all the snacks I ate and as I'm typing this I just realized I forgot another.

So snackers. How do you track your snacks.
    I had:

a hand full of roasted almonds
    a v-8
    1 serving of beef jerky
    2 slices of swiss cheese.

Nothing crazy but enough to tip the progress scale.

i log it as i eat it...

weigh your almonds, nuts are a calorie bomb.

Yeah, I also log as I go. I usually weigh, pack, and log my food for work in the AM or the night before. At home I weigh and log when I prepare my snacks.

As a side note, I never hit "complete diary." I didn't realize what the function was for for the first several months I was logging, and since I average by week, the day-to-day predictions are meaningless.

ETA: Oh, and I also use the extra meals to track snacks - I use one "meal" for after work snacks and another for after dinner snacks.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I added extra categories to my diary, to include snacks and spices. It helps immensely to just log it as you eat it-- it becomes a habit.

Be careful with stuff like nuts, as they're calorie dense and it's easy to go overboard calorically without realizing it. (Guilty!)

I also log my meals or as much as I know I'll be having first thing in the morning so there's no guesswork, and I'll add in a snack or two I know I'll want later to help me stay on track and give me an idea of what, if any, wiggle room I have for extras.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I'm feeling lazy I'll just quick-add calories. I know my yogurt cups are 35 cals, so I'll just quick add it.

I get snacky and graze a lot on weekends, so it can be a pain to log everything. Definitely force yourself to do it as you're eating that particular snack or you'll forget about it later.

Pay closer attention to high calorie snacks. A 20-calorie applesauce might not matter, but 300 calories of almonds can definitely derail your progress.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I generally prelog my food. I plan a snack or 2 in advance.

I don't push the complete button. It doesn't really do anything but give you the weight prediction. Everything you entered will be there whether you push the button or not.

As others have said I would try to be more accurate about the amount of higher calorie snacks like almonds vs blueberries.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my MFP diary is broken up into times rather than meals - so i log any food i eat from 0400-0800 in that time box etc
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    improptu snacks - i log it as i eat it.

generally speaking, i prelog all my meals and snacks. not to say it never changes, it does, but in the case of taking stuff to work for lunch and snacks, that stays the same.
  • Rooskie73
    Rooskie73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My meals are breakfast, lunch, supper, and snacks. Anything I eat between meals goes into Snacks section. I like the idea of bagging/boxing up snacks and eating from that throughout the day. We have nuts each night for a snack (hubby is type 1 diabetic so has to have snack), and I usually eat 6 almonds or 12 peanuts with a piece of fruit. I always hit the complete button just to see what could be. lol. Last night it scolded me in red because I hadn't eaten enough. Flu bug yesterday but I put in my jello, crackers, and 7Up. Not many calories.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you're the type to always have a phone on you, snap a pic of what you're about to eat.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I pre log my food before I eat it... If I want to eat *insert food* then I plug it in to see if it is going to leave me enough calories to finish the day. If it's going to be a problem then I can chose to either lower the portion size or not eat it, or find something else to fit in the calorie range I need.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I always have my phone on me, so I log everything as it occurs.