Scales

Options
I think my digital scale is possessed. It's the second one I have owned that has become so. I can get multiple different readings with significant variance at the same weighing time. I am resolved to get a replacement and am leaning to a simple analog scale. I looked at a beam scale, like the ones in the doctor's office, but they all price at or above $120. I love the idea of accuracy and consistency that a beam scale would provide, but the price is high.

Am I overthinking? Would an analog scale be as precise and consistent as a beam scale? Are all digital scales really as unreliable as I have experienced? I'm guessing not, and that I am just getting tunnel vision on this, but stepping on digital scales I always feel like I am going to break them. Would appreciate any feedback.

Replies

• SkylerisSquid
    SkylerisSquid Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have never had an issue with analog scales and I find them to be very consistent. But I have had issues with digital scales that are all over the place. My current one is kind of perfect though(and was super cheap). But has like a 300 pound weight cap.
    Has anyone tried the under armor scale always advertised here and actually liked it?
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My digital scale is unreliable as well. Minor fluctuations in the tile floor can give me readings 5 lbs. apart. I'd love to find a new reliable one.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    This might be too simple. I have a digital scale. I know that the battery is good. Have you checked your battery? Also, i tend to not move my digital scale. I keep it in the same place all the time and just don't move it. I tap it to initiate it, wait for the process to end (it tells me that I am person #1, that I am 50, yada yada) and then I step on it and stay pretty motionless.

Also, have you considered using the scale in your gym (making the assumption that you go to a gym and that it has a scale)? I count only the results from my scale but I do step on the scale at the gym (I have been to two gyms and both had old school scales). Those work really well. But, no idea how expensive they might be. Not to mention, they are a lot bigger than the digital scales! LOL!
  • greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This might be too simple. I have a digital scale. I know that the battery is good. Have you checked your battery? Also, i tend to not move my digital scale. I keep it in the same place all the time and just don't move it. I tap it to initiate it, wait for the process to end (it tells me that I am person #1, that I am 50, yada yada) and then I step on it and stay pretty motionless.

Also, have you considered using the scale in your gym (making the assumption that you go to a gym and that it has a scale)? I count only the results from my scale but I do step on the scale at the gym (I have been to two gyms and both had old school scales). Those work really well. But, no idea how expensive they might be. Not to mention, they are a lot bigger than the digital scales! LOL!

I did indeed just change the batteries this last Friday and they had buildup on them I had to scrape off the connection points that I could reach. Good point. I also live with my wife and two step-daughters. The chances of it (or anything) staying in one place is pretty low.

I don't go to the gym :( I think I am going to get a cheaper analog one for now and save for beam one if I have issues with the analog one (which I am hopeful I won't).