Was I behind the door for this.........

Options
I feel like I was behind the door when this information was passed out and it's still a little confusing to me. I am going to lay it out and can someone tell me if I am right or how this works. I have been busting my hump for the last few months with exercise, jogging, strength training, circuit training, you name it. Now I think I am finding out that I wasn't really doing fat burning workouts, like I had my HR too high and not in the body fat burning zone. I know I would still lose fat, but is it possible that the workouts I have been doing have been great for me underneath but not really burning off that top layer of fat covering what will be an awesome bod? I am gonna be ticked if I have been overexercising and missed the opportunity to really get in some fat burning exercises because I thought it didn't matter as long as you moved your butt as hard as possible.

Replies

• brandihutchinson
    Options
    Bump!
  • briannafitness
    Options
    bump! I would like to know too.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I would worry less about what exercises you're doing and more about what and how much you're eating. You can exercise until the cows come home, but if your diet isn't right you're gonna spin your wheels.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    CARDIO CARDIO AND CARDIO alone will not burn fat! You have to do strength training. Circuits ect. Cardio is Great for your heart! Combine it with some form of strength training and you will see fantastic results
    PS Clean CLEAN HEALTHY FOODS IS THE BIGGEST KEY!
  • change_happens
    Options
    Well, you know everyone has their opinion of what works and what doesn't work. Personally I think movement is a great thing. You are keeping a strong heart and building muscle.

For me, long, low impact aerobics, like Leslie Sansone work and I actually see the weight coming off. My first 10 lbs with her and my stomach was just about gone! I did some other things, Jillian Michaels, Bigges Loser Cardio Max, but when I realized (not until lately) that I could burn the same amount of calories AND fat with a low impact aerobic instead of jumping around and having achy ankles and knees... i opted for the low impact.

Granted I have to do more, but it is worth it and I am not fatigued or hurting from jumping around.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I would worry less about what exercises you're doing and more about what and how much you're eating. You can exercise until the cows come home, but if your diet isn't right you're gonna spin your wheels.

My diet is fine, I stick to my carbs, protein, fat and calories, and I zig zag them, and I am set for a .5 to 1lb a week weightloss since I am close to my goal.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    CARDIO CARDIO AND CARDIO alone will not burn fat! You have to do strength training. Circuits ect. Cardio is Great for your heart! Combine it with some form of strength training and you will see fantastic results

I strength train 3 times a week
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

My diet is fine, I stick to my carbs, protein, fat and calories, and I zig zag them, and I am set for a .5 to 1lb a week weightloss since I am close to my goal.

Keep on going then and be diligent! And as others have said, strength over cardio to really change your body. Especially if you're close to your goal, the body needs a change up every once in a while.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It's all to do with the different ranges of heart rate, I'm sure there's a thread somewhere about it, have you searched for the topic on here or MiniMins?
    http://www.freeweightlossexercisepro...eart-rate.html
    I think this site gives you some idea and I expect there are others if you google them
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You are better off ramping up the intensity rather than staying in that "fat burn zone". It's very misleading. You will burn more calories overall in a higher "zone" than the "fat burn zone". While a lower percentage of those will be from fat, it will still be a higher overall number.

"2) The fat-burning zone. Yes, it exists, but it has been misinterpreted. The fat-burning zone is a concept that the body burns a greater amount of fat at lower-intensity aerobic exercise than it does at higher intensities. Actually, the body burns a greater percentage of fat at lower intensities than at higher intensities. At lower intensities the body may burn 50 percent of the calories from fat, while at higher intensities it may only burn 35 percent. But at higher intensities you burn way more total calories—and more fat calories overall—than you do at lower intensities."

from http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone.htm
  • Kitty412
    Kitty412 Posts: 152
    Options
    Please tell me what bump means? :)
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    if you are close to your goal then just work a little harder. i heard people say those last few pounds are the hardest. i think you are doing a great job though. :)
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing. I have a tendency to get my heartrate up too high and in those cases I will burn less cals.
    I wasn't aware of this until my fitness coach made me aware. She said it is good to take a "break" every few months and do low impact cardio (like walking) for about a week and then return to your regular high intensity workouts. It gives your body a break and helps "reset" your metablolism. According to her, the higher heartrate is doing more harm than good. I should also add that she is a certified nurse and fitness competitor.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Well, you know everyone has their opinion of what works and what doesn't work. Personally I think movement is a great thing. You are keeping a strong heart and building muscle.

For me, long, low impact aerobics, like Leslie Sansone work and I actually see the weight coming off. My first 10 lbs with her and my stomach was just about gone! I did some other things, Jillian Michaels, Bigges Loser Cardio Max, but when I realized (not until lately) that I could burn the same amount of calories AND fat with a low impact aerobic instead of jumping around and having achy ankles and knees... i opted for the low impact.

Granted I have to do more, but it is worth it and I am not fatigued or hurting from jumping around.

I love Leslie Sansone!! I'm with you, I don't mind an intense work out but I don't like excessive jumping and quick change ups....I rather do the Leslie Sansone 5 mile DVD anyday for a good work out!!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

What foods are considered Clean and Healthy. Would like to understand this better?
  • RoseBlanc
    RoseBlanc Posts: 140
    Options
    I feel like I was behind the door when this information was passed out and it's still a little confusing to me. I am going to lay it out and can someone tell me if I am right or how this works. I have been busting my hump for the last few months with exercise, jogging, strength training, circuit training, you name it. Now I think I am finding out that I wasn't really doing fat burning workouts, like I had my HR too high and not in the body fat burning zone. I know I would still lose fat, but is it possible that the workouts I have been doing have been great for me underneath but not really burning off that top layer of fat covering what will be an awesome bod? I am gonna be ticked if I have been overexercising and missed the opportunity to really get in some fat burning exercises because I thought it didn't matter as long as you moved your butt as hard as possible.

I think you're fine.
    I think that kind of information is for those that are trying to get to a certain % of body fat, (body builders, competitors, ect)... but as long as you're moving I think you're going to be OK. :] sounds like you have everything else in order!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    "During low-intensity aerobic exercise, your body does use fat as its primary fuel source. As you get closer to your breaking point, your body starts using a smaller percentage of fat and a larger percentage of carbohydrates, another fuel source. However, picking up the pace allows you to burn more total calories, as well as more fat calories. "

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/using-cardio-exercise-for-weight-loss.seriesId-232563.html#ixzz1Tze4U5PM
  • Grimmerick
    Options

Keep on going then and be diligent! And as others have said, strength over cardio to really change your body. Especially if you're close to your goal, the body needs a change up every once in a while.

Ok thanks a bunch, haha there is a lot more involved in getting to my goal than I anticipated but I am up for it!