Sugar cravings

Options
I can't get sugar out of my head! I am so addicted! Help! What are good ways to get through this sugar cravings

Replies

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    A can of Pepsi max gets me through!!!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
    What steps are you taking to achieve them?
    How does sugar interfere with those goals?
  • oranges60
    oranges60 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple. It sounds awful, but it satisfies the sugar craving.
  • oranges60
    oranges60 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Kind of. I just remembered something else! Frozen peaches (unsweetened) heated in microwave, with a little cinnamon and a squirt of Redi Whip. It's like pie.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Just keep it up. If it is something you're used to eat a lot of, it'll take some time but the cravings will stop. Once you stop craving it as a default you have so much more control over it and can have it occassionally without going overboard. A treat rather than a habit.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit?
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Eat fruit?

Still sugar...
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Eat fruit?

Still sugar...

It's impossible to cut out sugar entirely. Fruit is naturally sweet, it's not something someone has added sugar to and, fruit typically has soluble fiber so it's beneficial. Whereas, say, cake or candy is not.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit?

Still sugar...

But there's nothing wrong with that!

Granted, if OP can control fruit okay it suggests the issue may not be "sugar." And of course that lots of the cals in many "sweets" are from fat anyway.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Eat fruit?

Still sugar...

It's impossible to cut out sugar entirely. Fruit is naturally sweet, it's not something someone has added sugar to and, fruit typically has soluble fiber so it's beneficial. Whereas, say, cake or candy is not.

The bold is my point. The problem isn’t sugar. It’s too many calories.

Also, it doesn’t matter whether sugar is added or naturally occurring. It’s the same chemical substance.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Eat fruit?

Still sugar...

But there's nothing wrong with that!

Granted, if OP can control fruit okay it suggests the issue may not be "sugar." And of course that lots of the cals in many "sweets" are from fat anyway.

Exactly. That’s what I was hinting at. :)
  • janedupont114
    janedupont114 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fruit is sugar but your body processes it differently. When I️ crave sweets I go to fruit first. But if you really have to a small piece of dark chocolate not going to put you over the top
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I can't get sugar out of my head! I am so addicted! Help! What are good ways to get through this sugar cravings

What foods exactly are you overeating?
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I drink water first, as many of my 'sugar' cravings are dehydration. If it really is a demand for sugar, I go for fruit, very dark chocolate or diet sodas. If it's hormonal sugar cravings that really are hard to fight when you're already feeling under-par, I have two or three safety net sugar treats. Yoghurt ice lollies (are they called popsicles in USA?) They are about 50-70 calories but take time to eat because they're frozen. Another is a diet hot chocolate. Very synthetic but it hits the chocolate/sugar spot and is only 40 calories.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    I drink water first, as many of my 'sugar' cravings are dehydration. If it really is a demand for sugar, I go for fruit, very dark chocolate or diet sodas. If it's hormonal sugar cravings that really are hard to fight when you're already feeling under-par, I have two or three safety net sugar treats. Yoghurt ice lollies (are they called popsicles in USA?) They are about 50-70 calories but take time to eat because they're frozen. Another is a diet hot chocolate. Very synthetic but it hits the chocolate/sugar spot and is only 40 calories.

If diet soda fixes it, it wasn’t a sugar craving.
    Diet soda has no sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fruit is sugar but your body processes it differently. When I️ crave sweets I go to fruit first. But if you really have to a small piece of dark chocolate not going to put you over the top

Fruit is not sugar, it contains sugar.

Your body does not process the sugar in fruit differently from other sugar. It may process the fruit itself differently from some other foods containing sugar, depending on what the other foods are and what else they contain and how much sugar they have.