Dr says no upper body exercise, Help???

Options
I have a shoulder impingement. I started feeling the pain about two months ago, but decided to begin a workout program anyway. I was 8 weeks into Jillian Michaels Body Revolution when my arm gave out during a burpee. I run also and my doctor says I can continue to do that, but I don't want to lose the momentum. I lost 13lbs in 8 weeks. I had 4 more weeks to go in the program and had planned to move on to P90X. Now this really messes up my plans. I guess part of it is on me for working out injured. I worry I might get bored with just running. Any strength exercises or HIIT training suggestions that's not too taxing on my injured shoulder?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Are you going to do physical therapy?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Accept that you have to take time away from certain exercises. Or ignore your doctor's orders and deal with further injury down the road. Those are really your two choices here. Physical therapy like @PaulaWallaDingDong asked about would actually be a really good idea to help your shoulder heal as best as possible.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Are you interested in weight training or only bodyweight? I had a shoulder impingement and could do squats just fine, but not deadlifts. You can also do crunches and abs workouts. And plyo. Try searching for fitness blender's legs videos on YouTube for some body weight legs routines. They have a cardio + abs video which involves twisting jumps as the HIIT aspect, alternated with abs exercises. I don't think any part of it uses the shoulders. The main thing is to pay strict attention to your body and if you find that a motion uses your shoulder when you didn't expect it to, stop.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yeah listem to your doctor. I know it sucks when plans get messed up, but as someone who went from shoulder impingement to two surgeries and a biceps tenodesis as well as two years of rehab all in all, I wouldn't risk it. Shoulders are not joints to mess with.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'd highly suggest a physical therapy consult.

You could always do a spinning class or go cycling if running gets too boring.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Its not partly on you, it's all on you. You went against doctors instructions and didn't what you shouldn't have done. Now you're in a much worse spot. Keep going with your plan and you'll end up with surgery and that will really put a damper on your momentum.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    TyFit1908 wrote: »
    I have a shoulder impingement. I started feeling the pain about two months ago, but decided to begin a workout program anyway. I was 8 weeks into Jillian Michaels Body Revolution when my arm gave out during a burpee. I run also and my doctor says I can continue to do that, but I don't want to lose the momentum. I lost 13lbs in 8 weeks. I had 4 more weeks to go in the program and had planned to move on to P90X. Now this really messes up my plans. I guess part of it is on me for working out injured. I worry I might get bored with just running.

Any strength exercises or HIIT training suggestions that's not too taxing on my injured shoulder?

Running. Do hills, do stairs.

Give the shoulder a rest.

Burpees are a high stress exercise anyway. And if you rush them, then you're essentially falling on your arms/shoulders.

Do the PT you've been assigned. Take the recovery time you need.

13 lbs in 8 weeks. What is your GW, What is your Current weight. What was your start weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If your goal is fitness and weight loss there’s a lot you can do with your diet and lower body workouts. The big muscles are in your legs after all. Tighten up on your diet and do some Pinterest hunting for leg and core work.
  • TyFit1908
    TyFit1908 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I hate that I put myself in this situation. I did not know I had a shoulder impingement until this week. Although I felt pain, I just pushed through it until it got to the point where I had no choice but to seek medical attention. I have been referred to physical therapy, but I have not had my first appointment yet.

I was 234 lbs. Between March and September I lost 10 lb very slowly by counting calories and running here and there. I stepped things up in September when I pulled out an old DVD program, Jillian Michaels body transformation. It's 6 days a week for 90 days and it's very intense. I added running about a month ago and the combination led to a 13 pound weight loss in 8 weeks. I finally felt like I had found my stride and would meet my first goal, which is get under 200 pounds before the end of the year. Ultimately I want to be 160.

I just don't want to lose the momentum or injure myself further. It's taking a lot of effort to get this far. I want to stay consistent and continue to push further. So the suggestions really do help.
  • TyFit1908
    TyFit1908 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Its not partly on you, it's all on you. You went against doctors instructions and didn't what you shouldn't have done. Now you're in a much worse spot. Keep going with your plan and you'll end up with surgery and that will really put a damper on your momentum.

I was just diagnosed by the doctor this week. So I did not go against doctor's instructions, I have not done any upper body work since the doctor told me not to. As disappointing as it is to not finish a program I started, the last thing I want to do is put myself in a situation where I would need surgery
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    One of the greatest triumphs you will enjoy is recovering from a setback. Readjust and set a new goal. You will make it and you will be stronger inside and out for going through this experience.

Next time don't work through sharp pain.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I hate that I put myself in this situation. I did not know I had a shoulder impingement until this week. Although I felt pain, I just pushed through it until it got to the point where I had no choice but to seek medical attention. I have been referred to physical therapy, but I have not had my first appointment yet.

I was 234 lbs. Between March and September I lost 10 lb very slowly by counting calories and running here and there. I stepped things up in September when I pulled out an old DVD program, Jillian Michaels body transformation. It's 6 days a week for 90 days and it's very intense. I added running about a month ago and the combination led to a 13 pound weight loss in 8 weeks. I finally felt like I had found my stride and would meet my first goal, which is get under 200 pounds before the end of the year. Ultimately I want to be 160.

I just don't want to lose the momentum or injure myself further. It's taking a lot of effort to get this far. I want to stay consistent and continue to push further. So the suggestions really do help.

Exercise can really help lose weight, but after a certain point diet becomes crucial for most people, especially women. Since you need to back off on some of the exercise you're doing, maybe focusing on your diet will help keep that momentum going. You've got a start with counting calories, but it can take time to really get a hang of logging and measuring your food, not to mention figuring out what foods keep you full and meal timing and all of that.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    You have to listen to your doctor and your body. If it hurts then stop and give your body time to heal. If your young trust me you will regret later on in life. I had a separated shoulder when I was about 25yo and now that i am 51yo I have issues with my shoulder. When I am doing chest exercise machines I can feel my shoulder popping during movement. No pain really just popping which I was told might be scar tissue.

Also back in August I learned a lesson in hydration when I was out walking with family and I passed out and I broke my front teeth and they also went thru my bottom lip. I will be getting my final bridge crowns Thursday.

I have the P90 and P90X dvd's and they worked when I was trying, but I never finished them. Currently I am just going to the gym and doing resistance exercises and cardio. Just keep doing what you can with your lower body and watch your food intake.Once your body heals go slow as you do not want to hurt yourself again.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    You need to listen to your doctor, and not do things that hurt.

I'm sympathetic. I'm currently dealing with a stress fracture, and we've gone from "you can do X,Y,Z if it doesn't hurt" to me then further damaging the bone, and now being at "you can do X,Y,Z, if it doesn't hurt, *and* with these modifications, and really, you just need to stay off of it."

It sucks. I know it does. I can't run, and I hate it. But I also don't want to cause further damage by being stubborn and pushing myself when I shouldn't.

You need to listen to your doctor and listen to your body, as much as it kills you to do so.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Just so it's clear - you didn't lose the weight because of the exercise.

You lost it because you had a calorie deficit, eating less than you ate.

Exercise and eating the same amount as before just made it bigger.

So at this point 1000 cal deficit is still appropriate - and that is going to be accomplished by diet, and moving enough that you can eat at a level to adhere to.

Lots of walking would even accomplish that for that matter. Running just made it less time to accomplish.
    The other workouts mainly help transform the body more - which is indeed great.

Many shoulder things can be done with minimizing impingement - PT can help with that.

At 50 lbs left though - you should drop to 750 cal deficit for being reasonable.

Time based weight loss goals almost always lead to aggravation.