Favorite clothes.

Options
SkylerisSquid
SkylerisSquid Posts: 17 Member
So the entire time I have been losing weight (all four months) I have been on a bit of a leggings and oversized sweaters kick . But I decided to try on some of my jeans and what not tonight (because this is what I do at 1 am)and realized all of my jeans are too big. Like, comically so. But I had this special pair of jeans that were broken in perfectly and my favorite clothing item in the world and I'm a little sad. Now I just realized I have to replace like a ton of basics. But on a different note I have had this adorable flannel forever and I have never been able to button it (it was super cute and I just accepted that I would have to wear it as a tight overshirt) I can now button it all the way up and it's even a little big. Has anyone else had to grieve over their favorite clothes? Please tell me shopping for a smaller size is worth it.

Replies

• HalloweenHighness
    HalloweenHighness Posts: 53 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    How about having them tailored, to fit; your current size and/or wait, until you reach; your goal?
  • SkylerisSquid
    SkylerisSquid Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I didn’t buy any clothes until I lost about half the weight. Otherwise I would babe been shopping monthly. I lived in maxi skirts and tights. When my weight loss started to slow down I started buying more clothes. Invest in pieces you can wear many ways so you get the most bang for your buck.

I already lost half the weight. Looks like I have an excuse to shop hmm.
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Its so worth it. I went from a size 14 in jeans to a size 6 and my style has changed a lot into what I've always wanted it to be. Its way more fun buying clothes for me now. I can actually order things online and there's a good chance it will fit and not make me look lumpy. Lots of places start messing up sizes xl + and they don't fit right or aren't true to size. I really never have to worry about that now. I love my new clothes and could care less about the cute stuff I had.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Leggings and tunic tees and sweaters are some of my favourite things! I've lost ~10 lbs and jeans are a problem, but even when they "fit" I am constantly tugging them up...I think it must be my body shape...drives me crazy.

Shopping for a smaller size is worth it, you'll look and feel better in clothes that fit, but it is also a new "standard"...if your smaller clothes start getting uncomfortable you'll know you have to work harder
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. Its so much better to have to shop for smaller clothes then it is the other way around.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    How about having them tailored, to fit; your current size and/or wait, until you reach; your goal?

This.

I have all of my clothes tailored and I will only wear Prada, Versace or Dolce & Gabbana.

or the sale rack at Target.

okay, mostly Target
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I just donated two shopping bags filled with too-large clothes and there were a few shirts* that hurt to give away because I loved them. Then I realized I loved the fact that they were now way too big more and I'd made room for new clothes that fit properly.

*I'll be grieving the wool swing coat for months, though. I hope it finds a new owner who loves it as much as I did.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm only letting myself buy clothes secondhand until I reach my goal. One of my favorite tops is getting to be too big, and I'm sad as it was a gift from a friend and it makes my eyes pop.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I wear mostly dresses and skirts. I've had my favorites altered as I slimmed down until they couldn't be altered any more. I am a huge fan of consignment stores and that has gotten me through as well. However, I am to the point I need new clothes period. Tis the season for sales.

pffft..... you don't need clothes

>:)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've given away 3 big bags of pants, no problem, but I'm really struggling with tops. This is gonna take a while.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else had to grieve over their favorite clothes? Please tell me shopping for a smaller size is worth it.

Well, I LOVED buying new clothes, but I get ya. I still have some extra large clothes and concert shirts and such that I just cannot get rid of, even though I have touched them in over 5 years. Slowly I have been giving them away to people I know, where I did a huge Goodwill donation years ago for most of the bulk XL stuff I had no attachment to.

• rae1721
    rae1721 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My weight has fluctuated so much over the last 3 years I literally have clothes in 3 different sizes. Thankfully It's business attire for my job and dresses, skirts are easily adjusted and when I'm not working it's yoga pants for the most part. I can't wait to reach my goal and learn to maintain it so I can go shopping!!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I've said goodbye to a few suits over the years, especially since I started lifting a few years ago; pants too small in thighs but too loose in waist and seat, jackets too baggy in mid-section but tight in the chest and shoulders. Lifted my way out of a few pairs of jeans. Back in high school I lost 15lbs over one summer, going from a 36 to 34 in pants/shorts, went back-to-school shopping, bought a bunch of stuff, ended up losing another 15lbs dropping down to a 32 and had to buy all new stuff a month of so later.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My friend and I came up with a way to get rid of our clothes without taking bags of them to the Goodwill. We give them to each other & if we *love* an item we keep it. Otherwise we take them to the Goodwill. Less painful to donate someone else's clothes than our own!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It turns out I sort of hated all my clothes. I did grieve for a couple of nice pieces but they were all cut in a way that flattered me when I was fat, and now I don't need that. Shopping was a learning experience, at first I bought too many of the sort of things that used to look good on me, then I would notice hey, I never wear that loose tunic looking shirt, because I put it on and think, why would I hide in this tent, and go get a different shirt. So my newer clothes now are things that actually fit right.

Shopping for new clothes is so much fun now that they look good on me and I don't have to settle for whatever is available in plus sizes. It's a little like being back in high school, though, I am having to learn what my sense of style is, all over again, because I've never picked out clothes as a normal sized adult before.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not weight loss related but I had the same pair of glasses for 10 years. The frames broke and I had to get a new pair and couldn't find anything that looked like them. I was really sad. My new glasses work and others say they look nice but I don't love them.

In terms of clothing my favorite clothes are probably cardigan sweaters so I still get to wear those with smaller clothes underneath.