Binge eating

Options
I have been on my fitness pal for several years and have lost and gained and lost the same weight over and over again. I really struggle with binge eating and emotional eating. I've been doing well for the past month or so but recently have succumbed to a couple bad binges. Does anyone have tips or ideas on how to overcome this horrible trend? I recently sugar detoxed so at least I'm not really craving sugar right now (usually my weakness), but instead I've been overconsuming salty, carbs, crunchy things.

Replies

• sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am in the same spot; been here several years yo-yoing. I am currently in the process of *not* logging my calories for the day and instead keeping a food diary of what time I eat/drink, what I put in my mouth, and my emotional/mental state. I'm trying to listen to my body when it is actually hungry. Personally, if I log with attention to calories, it causes me to attempt to restrict until I'm tired and starving at the end of the day and just give in to what my mind wants without regard to healthier eating.

http://www.bodywhys.ie/m/uploads/BEDBookletUpload.pdf

This is a self-help booklet on BED. I liked reading through it, and the food diary (page 18-19--I don't use exactly this one but very similar) is something that helped me realize when I binge and what emotions are associated with it. It also helps me to have this accountability in order to put a personal focus on health.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you're over restricting when you're trying to lose weight so you end up binging? Also, you might need help with some emotional issues that you're using food to medicate. Just some thoughts. There aren't a lot of specifics to go on here.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Stop the sugar detoxing (which is nonsense anyway) and your binging will stop too.

"Everything in moderation" can be your new food rule.
  • javba2
    javba2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @ OP, Thanks for bringing this up - BED is a growing problem. I am working on this myself.

You are right - often times causes are outside of "eating/ hunger" with BED as compensatory behaviors. However there are triggers - of which sugar is one, specifically falling bloodsugars - which trigger hunger. So I am trying multiple smaller meals per day - it's the night time that is hard.

@ Replies - thanks for the info on the book - will read.
  • dabbaa
    dabbaa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is an issue that was very familiar to me. I had a binge eating habit for a couple of years and I was so frustrated to know why it suddenly came. All the googling wouldnt even give me an answer. I would be fine losing weight then about 2 months in i gain it all back from eating abnormally - i would easily eat enough food to feed a family in one sitting for the one meal multiple times a day, and then get extremely sick in bed with pain until i vomit. Then i finally had a major meltdown one year and realised i was so unhappy with my life and needed to change. I literally changed EVERYTHING in my life - and i havent had an urge to binge ever since. I actually cant fathom how much i used to eat and actually makes me upset knowing that i did that to myself out of depression. I would suggest finding out what is getting you to feel that way and take the step to change it.
  • mar_pow
    mar_pow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I struggle with Binge eating too. Check out this podcast....its really helped me. I listen to it washing dishes, cleaning, or showering.

Primal Potential. Mastering Fat Loss by Elizabeth Benton
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    mar_pow wrote: »
    I struggle with Binge eating too. Check out this podcast....its really helped me. I listen to it washing dishes, cleaning, or showering.

Primal Potential. Mastering Fat Loss by Elizabeth Benton

Thanks for posting this. I too struggle with Binge eating. It's been a rough few weeks at work and I have gone home and pigged out. I know it's my choice to do it or not. I just have to get there mentally.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say "seek help". My limited experience tells me it goes beyond "everything in moderation." I began binge eating at age 11 or 12. It's so clearly related to hormones for me. But the depression is also related to hormones (for me), and it's all a vicious cycle. The shame involved makes it even a spiritual problem, for me. Again, I only know my own struggle, so I don't mean to speak for everyone who goes through it. I wish you the best.