What's your attitude towards a slip

Options
So if you had one or two days of bad or really bad eating...what is your attitude? Do u get mad at yourself and dwell and overthink it..or do u brush it off and move on to the next day eating healthy again?

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, I move on to the next one and don't look back. I don't try to make up for what I ate the day before by eating less or exercising more.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. Its called life and it happens. Just pick up at the next opportunity.
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Interesting question & I'm looking forward to folks' answers.

Had an interesting experience the other day, it was the bi-monthly pizza night. I had saved my calories so I could have 4 slices & a salad. Was really looking forward to it! 2 bites into the 3rd slice I was uncomfortably full...seriously "couldn't wedge an after 8 chocolate" in here full.

The feeling lasted until the next morning & I found myself feeling sad & disappointed in myself. It wasn't a conscious thought as such, just a feeling. It hit me that this is how I used to feel when I binged. Properly binged. Like, 3000cal days binge before I had decided to change my life. So my body was basically reacting to the uncomfortably full feeling the same way as when I had truly overindulged...where in this case, I definitely hadn't. In fact, I had lots of Cal's to spare that day but obviously couldnt fit them in!

When I DO have a real higher calorie day, I feel no guilt at all. It's just a number on a page & I just think....you're so consistent with your diet/logging..what's a few hundred calories every so often in the grand scheme? Tomorrow is another day, no point in looking back.

Can only conclude that my relationship with food was so deeply rooted in emotion that it's going to be a while before it all truly gets sorted out.

Like a lot of folk, I was unkind to myself for too long in many different ways. No-one should beat themselves up & let one slip over ride all of their achievements so far...we're human...life gets in the way. If you find yourself having extra calories occasionally, allow yourself to enjoy them I'd say....regret just isn't worth the wasted energy!
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just move forward. We talk about days and weeks here, but weight is gained, lost, and maintained, through years.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Track it.

Weight loss is a set of things to do. This is opposed to the prevailing view of WL as a bunch of don'ts, like "Don't eat that chocolate cake!"

One of the main/best things to do is keeping a food diary. The food diary is not just for our good days.

When losing, there were a lot of days when I ate more than planned. Some loss of focus, some bad math, some lapses of will power. Lots of ways to eat too much. But I always did my best to put a good faith number on everything and track it.

So did you eat too much, or eat too much and use it as a reason to quit the process? Big difference.

I'm with you on this. I don't see how it is helpful to selectively acknowledge fitness data based on whether you feel it is "good" or within tolerance. I accurately log days when I exceed my calories or have a messy macros mix and I log exercise events where I basically sucked (running slower than my average, for example)

It isn't about giving yourself a good or bad grade (or an "incomplete"), it is about understanding the totality of your fitness and nutrition and making decisions accordingly.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Move on. If I ate too little, too much, didn't get my workouts in.. whatever the case.. best not to dwell and keep my eye on the prize. Consistency is key.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I kick my self HARD.

That is one reason IF 5:2 works better for me. I really only have to ‘succeed’ for two days a week. Eat sanely and even a few treats the other five and I WILL have achieved my desired deficit.

So I’m much nicer to myself now because I really don’t slip.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm my own worst critic.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I log it, think "oh *kitten*...oops," submit my diary, and move on with my life :) I used to beat myself up about it but staying consistant has wielded some great results so I dont worry any more. Im usually not right on point with my calories anyway. Some days I'm over, some under so I like to keep my eye on my weekly calories :)
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I logged almost 3,000 calories on Sunday lol.
    Log it and move on.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I thought this was an undergarment thread and was going to say I was back to wearing onevwith dresses as it smoothed out my belly bumps.

It's obviously not.

Log it and move on. No guilt.

You are, hopefully, losing in a way that will be sustainable in maintenance.

This means you have to work in life events and celebrations, as well as days where you have no appetite. Learning that none of these short term variations affect long term results is a valuable tool.

Consistency over time for the win.

Cheers, h.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It depends. I don't have the same reaction to similar situations every time. I move on, obviously, but sometimes I feel anger or guilt. Sometimes I feel elation. I'm in maintenance though so I must account for those extra calories for they'll be around forever. Sometimes I fast, sometime eat less for several days, sometimes exercise a bit more. It all depends on my mood and how bad/glorious the slip was.