C25K Help

Options
I've started Couch to 5k 3 times and have yet to finish :( , I'm wanting to start again and just to ask for those of you who have tried it and finished what kept you motivated?

Replies

• Queenpeardear
    Queenpeardear Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Personally, I made it to week 3 once in my 3 years of using it.. I've 'started over' so many times. I see that when it comes to getting used to something new (like developing a habit) during this roller coaster ride we call life, it's not so much about how many times we start over, but that we continue to try and push ourselves that really matters.

Once you focus on finding the reward in 'trying' I think the habit will form as you progress and soon you'll stay focused longer and longer, then 'trying' will become 'doing', so on and so forth; one day at a time.
    Hope that helps!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I repeated a couple of weeks. It just took me longer to get on track, in part because I was carrying extra weight. Sign yourself up for a 5K race, it's an excellent way to keep you focused on your goal. I did one, and stopped to walk 3 times during that race but I finished it. There's no shame in taking a walk for an extra minute during your training! Keep at it!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I started and stopped a few times too. The key for me was to RUN SLOW. Like, shuffle along in the beginning taking short steps. You have to get your legs strong enough to carry your body along for any distance - think about upping your aerobic capacity after you're gotten the strength to go the distance. Repeat days or weeks until you're comfortable. Get fun music! And as others above said, sign up for a 5K far enough out that you'll be well into your program by the time it comes up. And walking is good :)
  • aerosolo
    aerosolo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Evaluate what caused you to stop the last three times. Dehydration? Get a good water bottle. Injury? Find the right support wrap. Bored? Try Zombies Run or make an epic playlist.

Agree with signing up for the 5k. It helped me know there was an "end" I was working toward, though I kept running a while after.

Adjust those first 3 weeks to fit your readiness level, meaning feel free to repeat some Week 1 days or skip some Week 2. Have a buddy meet you at the end of your Week 4 runs. Those tend to be a wicked adjustment, going from intervals to longer distances. Try putting your extra rest day after Week X Day 1, where you've made a big jump in effort, so you can recover more.

Check to see if you're running at the right time of day for you. Maybe you want to go early to energize for the day. Or you're an after work runner trying to burn off the stress.

Running is a mindset. Choose to take those first steps, choose to keep lifting your feet. Choose to get up and do it again. Keep moving and soon you'll outpace everything that used to hold you back. You got this!
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Learning to breathe. Sounds stupid but it's key. Breathe with your lower lungs, so you stomach goes in and out but your shoulders don't move up and down.

I started C25K for the third time on June 26. Finished it and went straight into C210K. Finished that and went into half marathon training. I'm on week 4 of 8. I assume when I'm done with that I'll do marathon training.
    My final ultimate pie in the sky never gonna do it so don't even dream about it goal - Ironman. Preferably in Hawaii.

You can do this. Stick with it. Repeat weeks instead of quitting if you have to. You got this!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I was motivated because I was curious to see how far I could get. I made it all the wsy and have gone 2 5ks since. Honestly I don't love running so I get revved up about once a year for a 5k but don't run year round.
    You don't HAVE to do c25k if you don't enjoy running. Bike or swim or do something you like!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Do you know why you stopped? If you know that particular thing, you can work towards overcoming it but only if you want to run.
    If you don't like running, you may need to find another activity.
    If you do like running, you can overcome whatever it is that is making you stop. If you tell us here, we may be able to help you overcome the obstacles.

• bluesmanhart6679
    bluesmanhart6679 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I started in Jan. '17 and stopped after 2 sessions. I just completed my 2nd week today after giving it try #2. Try again, there is no shame. I feel like I can do it now.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    So sorry I didn't reply to this thread it got buried in my notifications. Thanks everyone for your insight, I started last week and I'm just taking it slow. Still on week one but as everyone has said it's better to progress when I'm ready.
  • dinadyna21
    Options
    aerosolo wrote: »
    Evaluate what caused you to stop the last three times. Dehydration? Get a good water bottle. Injury? Find the right support wrap. Bored? Try Zombies Run or make an epic playlist.

Agree with signing up for the 5k. It helped me know there was an "end" I was working toward, though I kept running a while after.

Adjust those first 3 weeks to fit your readiness level, meaning feel free to repeat some Week 1 days or skip some Week 2. Have a buddy meet you at the end of your Week 4 runs. Those tend to be a wicked adjustment, going from intervals to longer distances. Try putting your extra rest day after Week X Day 1, where you've made a big jump in effort, so you can recover more.

Check to see if you're running at the right time of day for you. Maybe you want to go early to energize for the day. Or you're an after work runner trying to burn off the stress.

Running is a mindset. Choose to take those first steps, choose to keep lifting your feet. Choose to get up and do it again. Keep moving and soon you'll outpace everything that used to hold you back. You got this!

I think what made me stop the last few times was just my legs getting tired very easily. I started strength training a few weeks ago and I've noticed that this time around running was actually a lot easier so I'm pretty sure my legs just weren't strong enough before to carry me throughout the entire workout.
  • dinadyna21
    Options
    Do you guys have any music suggestions for when you run?
  • dinadyna21
    Options
    This might sound weird but even though I've never been a natural runner, it's something I've always wanted to be. I've never been a natural born anything but that only makes me want it more. If I know I can't do something then I'll let it go but I want to give it my best shot before giving up and I know I can do more.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner, but I did the C25K this summer and now I run 2 miles 3 times a week, which I wouldn't have thought possible during week 1!
    Remember why you want to run. Do you want to run an organized race? (I don't!) Do you want the calorie burn? (I do!) Do you want to be that cool and healthy person who can "go for a run" when they want to? (I do!) Whatever YOUR reasons are, think about them when you don't feel like training.
    For music, I put song I liked (Rihanna, "Pon de Replay") into Pandora, and it found a bunch of similar songs for me.
  • fiferjim
    fiferjim Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I done this last year and now run regularly up to 20k. For me the best advice was take your time. Make sure you have the rest days so your body can recover and repeat days until your ready to progress. Go for it again it's a life changing thing yo do. Good luck.
  • MargueriteF1234
    MargueriteF1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I signed up to do a 5k with my sister-in-law who has done many. I am on Week 6 and could not run more than 1 min when I started. I have not repeated any days, but I would have if I had more time. For me, I found that I really needed to decrease my pace and go for time rather than distance. It can also be helpful to have an accountability partner. Although I am determined on my own, I might have stopped if I didn't have to tell someone else that I quit. I have 3 ladies checking up on me, so my pride won't let me do that.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »
    Do you guys have any music suggestions for when you run?

I use the Rock my Run app. Even the free version lets you pick a music list based on bpm, so you can pick one close to your run cadence. But starting out, I was on a treadmill watching hockey. It wasn't until I was running for 30 mins and moved outside that I started with the music.

And I'm running ~15K a week now. 3 days a week, 5K each time. 1 of them is a Parkrun (I recommend them if you have one locally) and a couple mornings on my own. Weather has turned cold and icy so the mornings ones are back to the treadmill.

Did a 9K & 10K in 2017 so thinking of both a Try a Tri and a half marathon in 2018.
  • dinadyna21
    Options
    Wow! That's amazing tacklewasher, I'll try that app. I need something to pump me up when I'm running. Finished my third day today listening to Bassnectar