Cold Weather Smoothies ??

Options
Winter is here on the prairies and although I love my smoothies, I'm craving something warm to drink, not cold!

Has anyone tried a "hot" smoothie or protein shake?

Is it possible?

Replies

• bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    Great question. I make my smoothies with Kale or Spinach. It's almost impossible for me to eat these warm in a smoothie. *If a smoothie can't have a green in it, what's the sense?
    I hope you don't get things like yogurt and ice cream. I'd rather just eat those foods.

I'm thinking yogurt and ice cream aren't going to work hot.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I make a mango/turmeric/black pepper smoothie. It’s cold, but it has a warm spicy taste. I guess a warm smoothie is kind of a soup. There are lots of veggie based soups.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Warm smoothie = soup.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Call it soup and have at it! It may be that you find you like different ingredients in your hot soup than in your cold smoothie but there are great veggie soup recipes around and I can't imagine why you couldn't convert these into the hot equivalent of your smoothie.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Warm smoothie = soup.

My thought as well.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I think it would basically be soup. Is fruit soup a thing?
    You could try it I suppose, a smoothie with lots of berries in and a dash of cinnamon warmed up might be nice.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, I guess any pureed soup would be like a hot smoothie. If you are looking for protein, you can try adding flavored protein powder to coffee or warm milk. I had a smoothie with milk, vanilla protein powder, canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice this morning. I made it cold, but I guess I could have easily warmed the milk first.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I mean,...I make hot cocoa out of raspberries, cinnamon, vanilla protein powder, cocoa a little stevia and hot water sometimes coffee or hot tea....But i wouldnt call it a smoothie lol
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when it's really cold, I'll mix my vanilla protein powder with hot coffee and tell myself it's a latte. But, I've read conflicting things about heating protein powder killing all the benefits...so it's not an every day thing.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I once had a pumpkin-strawberry cold soup that was AMAZING. I bet it would be great as a hot soup too, and then you get both fruits and veggies (which I may be wrongly assuming is the reason you're asking about smoothies specifically). Generally speaking, I think sweeter squashes like pumpkin or butternut might pair well with fruit, blended up and heated.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Isopure makes coffee protein powder with real coffee grounds in it.

Maybe a scoop of that, a scoop of unsweetened cocoa, and some warmed almond milk for a hot mocha in the morning.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I use an immersion blender to mix protein powder in my coffee. Works beautifully.