Options
2»

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Oh and my check in:

I went to Boot camp today. Holy crap!
    And I walked to the tire shop in my winter boots. ( I got my winter tires put on today
  • RachelHPMarathonMom
    Options
    Hello, end of daylight savings time! I'm going to try to take advantage of the time change by going to bed now (8:45pm Eastern Time!) and getting up at my "normal" time tomorrow (6am now feels like last week's 7am) to run before work tomorrow.
  • xfaithxpx
    xfaithxpx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ugh that time of year again! I live in Maine and this is my hardest time of the year as far as trying to lose weight. I wake up to go to work in the dark, and by the time I get home most days it is dark again. It’s very depressing. If anyone would like to add me, please feel free!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    I live in northern British Columbia and have decided that winter happens every year so I might as well enjoy it. And for me, any time spent outside is 100 times better than time spent inside. Our local cross country ski club has lit trails so I ski a lot. And snow shoe. And walk the dog. And ice fish, which isn't exercise, but it lifts my spirits. When its really cold I'll be a wimp and go to the gym :)
  • RachelHPMarathonMom
    Options
    I bought a used exercise bike today for $15! It was advertised by someone in my town on Facebook. Set it up in my garage --now I have an option for cardio I can do while reading, without leaving home! This should be a big help to my fitness routine throughout the winter. Garage isn't heated, but with the doors closed it'll work, and just 20 steps from a hot shower :) also, I managed to go running at 6:15 an today, the sweet spot between sunrise (for now) and when I need to leave for work. Sinus congestion meant the tub didn't go brilliantly, but I give myself points for getting out there and doing it, and the weather was lovely.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Guilty of sloth mode this weekend. We had our first sticking snow of the season last friday and our temps have been in the teens and lower 20's with wind. Every day this weekend I told myself I need to get outside...yet I didn't. Will make up for it this week by getting in some time on the track and hopefully dig out the headlamp and get out for a quick walk in the evenings when i get home.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Chicago girl here. I bike nearly year round (not in the slushy snow) and have biked short distances down to 11 degrees. I don't own a car and sometimes the bus doesn't cut it. Biking is freedom.

We went from 70 to 40 within a days and never got the mid 60s lovely fall weather.
    I'm a fair weather runner and I do own snow shoes but we haven't had much snow in the last few years or if we did it was 10 below zero.

I'm full of excuses!! I don't mind the cold that much but would like to ease into it. Cold weather gear is a must!
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Red Deer AB Canada. Current temp is -16 C.
  • Bobo4505
    Bobo4505 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not that far north. The ocean and deep water in Narragansett Bay typically keep us pretty moderated in southern Rhode Island, but we're headed into a 30-40 degree cold snap this weekend to kick off the dark season. All that more important to grab the vitamin D when the sun is out and available!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I live north of Seattle and it's definitely good to get outside regardless of the weather. To counteract feeling like it's time to hibernate I eat breakfast next to a SAD light. The full spectrum light helps get me going.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It's cold, dark and icy at 5:30 in the morning. I could deal with 2 out of 3 of those, but this morning had all 3 so I went to the gym and used the treadmill.
  • RachelHPMarathonMom
    Options
    It's dropped into the 30s here in New Jersey (I know, not cold by the standards of some people posting here, but about 30 degrees below the comfort zone of this South Carolina native)! After 2 weeks of sinus trouble, including a week with a blunted/intermittent sense of smell, and more air travel than usual, I was so glad to get home last night and be able to smell & taste food that I overate and then stayed in bed through my morning 'workout window' today...I'll hop back on the wagon tonight. I hope this thread remains active with tips for staying motivated through the cold, dark winter to come!
  • curiousgp
    Options
    You can do it! We all slip now and again. Its getting up that makes us stronger!
  • curiousgp
    Options
    Balmy zero degrees Sunday morning when I was out trodding through cat tails in search of the elusive white tail deer. I earned my calories on Sunday - not so much on Saturday. I feel like I ate a ton and didn't work it off. My garmin died on Saturday and I had no way of charging it so I really have no way of measuring. I just know I drank enough gin after hunting all three days to negate any good I did hiking!

Yesterday was a beautiful 35 no wind day so the dogs and I walked the mile to the mail box and back. Not exactly strenuous but enjoyable. MOVEMENT.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I hate how dark it gets. Harder to fit hikes into my week. I take extra vitamin D in hopes that it'll combat the blah feeling.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Even harder to get runs it. I am now getting used to running in the dark.