Keto Lifestyle

Options
Any others on their weight loss journey that eat this way? I'm 64 days in and down 17 pounds! Feeling great! The overall goal is to lose 75 more pounds. I wanted to commit myself earlier and not wait for the new year.

Replies

• deniseross313
    deniseross313 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tried keto it’s hard
  • DanaG0915
    DanaG0915 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm doing keto. I'm not gluten intolerant but I do have a wheat allergy and some gut issues. Also, I have about 70 pounds to lose!
  • himenaya
    himenaya Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a low carb gal that accidentally fell into keto and to be honest, I love it. I'm a month in and 13lbs lost :) got 60-70 more to go! :)
  • fifihapi89
    fifihapi89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've just started and looking forward to it. Have done it before but found it based to stick to but have paid out a bit to make it more interesting this time and have a go at making bread and other things to make it seem more normal. I find eating to much cream quite sickly sometimes though
  • keto_strong
    keto_strong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It really does get easier the longer you do it. It takes some figuring out to begin with but so worth it! Finding a hack to make MFP keto friendly was a game changer. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • kelsjohnst
    kelsjohnst Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started Keto today! I tried a few recipes last week and loved them, my husband is even starting Keto too! I have 75 to lose.
  • alexlove31
    alexlove31 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my Keto journey - doing lots of research right now and taking it day by day. Process foods and sugar can be very additive and hard to let go of but I need to heal my body and my mind and I think this is the best decision for me. I have 90lbs to sheds. Good luck everyone!
  • some_weirdo
    some_weirdo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I've been using MFP for a while with limited success, and I just started Keto for a month to try it out to start as a part of a new focus on some healthy weight-loss. I thought it might be a good opportunity to connect to the community side of MFP. I'm a few days in and already down almost 5lbs and a few inches, which feels great! I'm finding it a lot easier than I thought, and I had no idea how many things were high-carb! What have you all found to be the biggest challenges so far when maintaining a Keto diet? Good luck!
  • keto_strong
    keto_strong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge was the fatigue. Thought I was home free after keto flu but it took almost a month to get my energy back (and then some). Congrats on the weight loss!! Don’t get discouraged if you see some fluctuation at first. My plan was to try it for a month too until I found out it takes at least that long to be keto adapted. My new goal is 6 months but I can easily see this becoming a lifestyle!
  • leighlamotta
    leighlamotta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried keto for 2 weeks and the fatigue is what made me stop.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's one of several groups where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    I tried keto for 2 weeks and the fatigue is what made me stop.

@leighlamotta ....completely avoidable by the way...symptom of "Keto flu" = electrolyte imbalance. Newbies always way underestimate the amount of sodium/potassium their bodies need.
  • some_weirdo
    some_weirdo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge was the fatigue. Thought I was home free after keto flu but it took almost a month to get my energy back (and then some). Congrats on the weight loss!! Don’t get discouraged if you see some fluctuation at first. My plan was to try it for a month too until I found out it takes at least that long to be keto adapted. My new goal is 6 months but I can easily see this becoming a lifestyle!

Good to know! I haven't had any fatigue or flu yet, but I had read that those can be issues before I started to I've been taking a supplement and boosting electrolytes. Hopefully I can skip that un-fun part! I think I'll stick to it longer too, I'm already loving it.
  • christinahsm2
    christinahsm2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ve been researching Keto because I suffer with seizures. I’ve read it was originally created for kids with epilepsy. I have been eating low carb/keto the last few days to give it a try. Now I’ve joined MFP to see if it will help me in this journey. The weight loss will be a big bonus but if it helps my seizures would be my top priority! I also have hypoglycemia and I think I’ve read it’s not good for people with this condition. I don’t have all the info yet, right now it’s a lot of reading!
  • gquesnelle
    gquesnelle Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying that I did this diet fairly lazily in late 2012/early 2013 and dropped from 265 to 215ish.
    I felt great, and I looked even better (even though I still had a bit of a way to go...).

I think a lot of the reason I stuck with it was because I was constantly tracking the progress of friends I had made on here, and a lot of the accounts I used to follow and talk with are now deleted or have been inactive for a few years.

I'm 22, finished college (where I ate like absolute garbage) and restarted a couple of weeks ago somewhere around 298 pounds.

I'm looking for friends in similar situations, or any friends at all here. I want to kick *kitten* but I need the added support from the community too!
  • Skyler_mama
    Skyler_mama Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am not on Keto diet but I made a WOE change and I abstain from Sugar, Flour and Wheat. If you need friends please add me.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I am doing Keto and loving it. I have lost a lot of weight and been counting calories and macros for years. I finally stopped losing and stalled for months. I started Keto and losing again, I am never hungry or crave diet drinks, or sweets.
    I lift weights and am gaining strength and muscle every week.
    I love this WOE, feel free to add me and message me if you have questions.
  • F0xInAB0x
    F0xInAB0x Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm really keen to get into Keto. I've been doing a lot of research into what it takes to do Keto properly over the last few months and making slow but sustainable changes to me lifestyle as I am pretty stuck fast in my ways. Hardest for me at the moment is the cost of healthy snack options.. student budget Dx
  • bapity88
    bapity88 Posts: 98 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've been doing it for almost 2 months now. My husband has been doing it a little longer. He's lost almost 40 lbs. I've lost about 5 (but I'm a lot closer to my goal). I like keto, but everyone else goes on and on about how they stopped feeling hungry after doing keto and they "forget to eat" etc....but I'm hungry ALL THE TIME! I even have the test strips and I'm well into ketosis, but I can't stop being hungry. I think maybe I'm broken. :P It does work though, and I feel leaner. Maybe my body will start this whole "not feeling hungry" thing sometime soon and it'll get easier, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • F0xInAB0x
    F0xInAB0x Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bapity88 wrote: »
    I've been doing it for almost 2 months now. My husband has been doing it a little longer. He's lost almost 40 lbs. I've lost about 5 (but I'm a lot closer to my goal). I like keto, but everyone else goes on and on about how they stopped feeling hungry after doing keto and they "forget to eat" etc....but I'm hungry ALL THE TIME! I even have the test strips and I'm well into ketosis, but I can't stop being hungry. I think maybe I'm broken. :P It does work though, and I feel leaner. Maybe my body will start this whole "not feeling hungry" thing sometime soon and it'll get easier, but I'm not holding my breath.

Aw that sucks!
    I found that whenever I eat a keto inspired meal, usually breakfast ( I haven't really started ketosis as I'm slowly figuring out how to make such a significant lifestyle change.) I feel sooo full for the rest of the day, its awesome. I think its the high fat percentage of the meal that does it for me.

Really hope it happens, got my fingers crossed for you! :D
  • bapity88
    bapity88 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I eat a high fat breakfast, and I'm hungry at about 1pm until 2am lol I usually have eggs, bacon, avocado and coffee with MCT oil - at least 350 calories worth of breakfast. Then I'm full until lunchtime, but after that I stay hungry the rest of the day and my stomach growls while I'm trying to sleep. It's frustrating, but maybe it'll go away soon.