Wrestler need to loose 5 pounds in 3 weeks

Options
Anyone have some tips. I’m 5’8” 150lbs need to make lower than 145lbs I’ve been using this app for awhile and recording everything that I eat and every time I exercise I’m keeping a 40% protein 30% carb and fat intake and drinking 80+ oz of water everyday, is are there any tips or suggestions that you can give to help me loose fast.

Replies

• SamMartino44
    SamMartino44 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also have been eating about the recommended calories ~1600
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Can you share your age for calculations?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    How are you counting your calories? Are you weighing your food?
  • SamMartino44
    SamMartino44 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    How are you counting your calories? Are you weighing your food?

I’m taking my best guess I don’t have a scale to measure precisely just a general body weight scale
  • buffgrl
    buffgrl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah, ask your coach about manipulating water weight, 5lbs isn't too bad, you might not even need to diet any further. (medical supervision is advised, as another posted mentioned this can be dangerous) But you could easily lose 5lbs in 3 weeks without cutting water at the last minute- just cut your carbs and then carb back up after weigh ins. Cutting carbs will shed stored water in the muscles, and you will burn off a bit more fat. Eat carbs only AFTER intense training sessions, and only in measured amounts. Hopefully the last week or two you will be tapering anyway and just doing light workouts or long slow cardio so you won't need the carbs as much. Then, after weigh ins, eat some simple carbs with plenty of fluids to bring your muscle glycogen back up. By the way, I am not a fighter, just a weight lifter so take my advice for what it is.
  • buffgrl
    Options
    Oh yeah, when you cut your carbs, don't forget to add some fat to your meals or you'll be sucking wind during training and possibly mess up your sleep.
  • buffgrl
    Options
    Btw, 1600 calories for an athlete of your size/gender is pretty low. I guess it might be okay for a short period of time, but if you're feeling like crap you can bump up to like at least 1800. In the future, you need to know how many calories you eat to maintain your weight, then when you go to cut weight you can plan it out precisely. For example, say you normally eat 2800 calories per day to stay at 150lbs. If you want to cut 5lbs, you know that if you cut out 500 calories per day for 5 weeks (2300 cal per day), you will reach your goal. (use the rule of thumb that 1lb of fat is 3500 calories- not a perfect model but a good rule of thumb to start with- from there you will learn what your body will do with a given deficit)
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Check Athlean-x or Elliot Hulse's Strength Camp or Jeff Nippard or maybe the TwinMuscle channel for a laugh while you're at it on youtube. This youtube video advises against trying to cut so fast. >> TMW: Cutting Advice @ hodgetwins
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    buffgrl wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and don't try to cut more than 500 calories a day unless it's a temporary fast because you can end up stalling out your weight loss. Too few calories can shut your metabolism down (starvation mode is real)

actually no, it's not.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    When I wrestled in college last minute weigh ins I would put on my plastic track suit and do cardio. I could drop 4 to 7 pounds by weigh in and replenish the water weight prior to the match. This was encouraged by the coaches at the time so you could have as much muscle as possible prior to the match. Weigh ins were usually about ba hour before the meet and since I was in a higher weight class I got even more time to replenish.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    buffgrl wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and don't try to cut more than 500 calories a day unless it's a temporary fast because you can end up stalling out your weight loss. Too few calories can shut your metabolism down (starvation mode is real)

actually no, it's not.

Metabolic adaptation is real. Down-regulation of NEAT is real. But 500 kcal/day deficit isn't the magic point at which these things happen. They will occur in most deficit levels if those deficits are carried long enough. Cutting for weigh-ins is pretty common, and as was noted above, there are strategies out there.

• DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Anyone have some tips. I’m 5’8” 150lbs need to make lower than 145lbs I’ve been using this app for awhile and recording everything that I eat and every time I exercise I’m keeping a 40% protein 30% carb and fat intake and drinking 80+ oz of water everyday, is are there any tips or suggestions that you can give to help me loose fast.

Yessssss!!!!!!! Sorry, huge wrestling fan!!!!

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I remember wrestlers in high school carrying spit cups around with them all day before their weigh-ins. Don't know whether spitting all day helps, and it's kinda gross, but that's the only wrestling tip I know.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I do not say this is the right thing to do, but alot of athletes cut weight by dehydrating just before a weigh in. Even I can lose and gain 5lbs in a day if i dont drink enough water.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Not sure how wrestling works, but as a runner, I'd switch my event registration to a competition I'm actually suited for.