Discouraged. HELP?

I feel like i will start to do good with eatting right and exercising but than i will stop doing it for 4 times longer than when i was logging i feel like maybe i dont have enough support or something to help me stay focused on my goals any one have advice

Replies

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited November 2017
    I have done the same thing and really there is only one person I can rely on and that is me. You need to find it within yourself to make that change. I am surrounded by people who have no desire or need to lose weight so there is always junk foods around me. You just have to do this for YOU and make the change and keep at it. Even if you had a bad day it is just one day. start over the next day and keep it up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    cretiaa09 wrote: »
    I feel like i will start to do good with eatting right and exercising but than i will stop doing it for 4 times longer than when i was logging i feel like maybe i dont have enough support or something to help me stay focused on my goals any one have advice

You can't rely on other people to make you do stuff
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    What makes you stop?

Do you cut your calories too low?
    Do you feel hungry by eating a macro split that doesn't suit you?
    Do you crave foods you cut out?

You need to find the reason why, it isn't down to other people
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't think this is about lack of support, but a lack of correct information. Your goal seems vague, unnecessary and unrealistic, and when you can't be perfect, which is impossible, your only alternative is no effort at all.

So, first decide what your goals are. Weight loss? Eat less - MFP tells you how much is appropriate for you - do it consistently and forever (you'll have to eat less at maintenance, too). You can eat what you want. To be stronger and fitter? Find exercise you can and will do, and do it consistently and forever.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    As others have said - the goal needs to be crystal clear and something you genuinely want. I just couldn't be bothered to lose weight before because I was 'only' five pounds over top healthy BMI and my husband likes curves. That 'only 5' pounds became 15 but I still didn't do anything because I have no motivation to attract men who aren;'t my husband and he's happy with me as I am. It wasn't until I realised my motivation had almost nothing to do with looks but a lot to do with physical energy and strength that I got to work.

What do you really really want? To turn heads? To run a marathon? To fit into a specific size of clothing? To bounce out of bed every day feeling fine? To get back on the dance floor? To have everyone on Tinder sliding right?
    Once you've worked out your core goal, work out your interim goals. Mine is: to not be the fattest person in the room by Christmas 2017. I never was - I was always slim and then suddenly I noticed that I'd gradually become, habitually, the fattest person in any given group: at yoga class, in a work meeting, at drinks with friends. It doesn't matter what your goals are, as long as they really dig deep.

Then work out what yoru easiest motivations are. Make it super easy. What exercise do you love doing? Start by doing that. What healthy foods do you already love? Start by basing your meals around them. Gradually introduce a bit more self discipline.

Finally - take a look at some videos on the science of Willpower. I find Kelly McGonigal's really good. She talks about learning to 'surf the urge' - that is to recognise with kindness your overwhelming desire to eat an entire packet of biscuits or to slob all night on the sofa, but to not give in to the urge. Observe it. Be amused by it. Learn from it if you can but don't give in to it. I'm only just starting to use this but it helped me not eat cake, crisps or cereal and not drink wine last night. I woke up feeling really good.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I think a weekly SMART goal with a review with an accountability partner can help. One bad day does not ruin all your plans. Knowing you are reporting to SOMEONE will help you get back on track sooner.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Everyone is different but I'll share what gets me back on track quickly. I honestly ask myself what is more important? being fit and improve disability (spinal damage ) or be frustrated and have my drink(s) and binges (the only time I binge is after I drink) The stresses of my day to day sometimes has my reply as "nope, I don't care, f it!" But in that moment I have the clarity that I'm CHOOSING TO f it. I recently started logging my f its. That helps to get back to a day of caring about my health.