Not sweating but feeling tired?

Options
Hi, I am a beginner. I started doing dance work out videos and cardio videos and would easily work up a sweat. I've recently changed to longer ones (instead of 25/30 mins I do 45/60) but I've noticed I don't sweat half as much! In the first videos I would be sweating buckets two minutes in!! Now its like 10 minutes before I break a sweat. I just did a 45 minute work out and I was getting tired and struggling a little/wanting to slack, but I was not sweating as much as I ever did in the early videos!! I only started a month ago and did one video 3 times a week so I can't imagine I've become too advanced? Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks

Replies

• cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I think the shorter video workouts are more intense. I do kettlebells and really feel it's full on after about 2 mins of a 10 min workout. But when I switched to the 30 min workout I got bored with all the marching in between weights. Just felt like a filler. Is it that the longer workouts are less intense?
  • hannahsharratt27
    hannahsharratt27 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hmm that could be it. I read the comments for the longer ones and it's full of comments saying they're dripping with sweat and struggling to finish, just as with the shorter ones. Also the calorie guideline for one 30 min video is approx. 300 calories whereas the 45 minute one is approx 400? I feel like I'm pushing myself a fair amount but just confused!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sweating has no correlation to calories burned. It's autumn, it's cooler outside. You aren't getting as hot?
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sweating has no correlation to calories burned. It's autumn, it's cooler outside. You aren't getting as hot?

This. I do an indoor cycling class 2x/week. Some people leave spin class dripping sweat. They have to towel up the puddle on the floor under their bike before they can leave. Today I didn't even wipe my face once during class. Why? I got my favorite bike: RIGHT IN FRONT of a big fan. I'm sure I was sweating, but it was evaporating quickly and I didn't feel it. If I get stuck in the Corner of Death, I sweat and sweat and sweat in the still, awful airless space.
    It's cooler and dryer with the arrival of fall, so you could be sweating a little less and it could be evaporating off your skin more quickly so you feel it less.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Sweating or not sweating is't really a viable measure of what kind of workout you had.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your sweat rate is not an accurate indicator of effort. Even perceived effort can fool you. This is one of the few times that I'd suggest investing a heart rate monitor would be worthwhile to get you an objective way of measuring your effort level.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I sweat tons more when it's humid.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    A longer video will probably have a little longer warm up period, which for me is appropriate. My body needs about 10 min warm up to get loose and moving. Then I really start sweating and working harder. I wouldn't care if I never sweat, however, as long as I know I'm working hard and progressing.
  • hannahsharratt27
    hannahsharratt27 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! I think it could be the colder temperatures- where I live it seems to have gone instantly from mild to freezing in a week. Feel a lot more positive about it. I've been thinking about investing in a fitbit since I started but wasn't sure but guess this is the perfect time of year to keep an eye! Thanks again!