How long to wait before changing it up?

Options
Hi Everyone,
I have consistently been netting my 1200 calorie target set by MFP (This includes eating my exercise calories so that my Net intake is 1200 calories) I have consistently been working out 4 to 5 times a week for an 1 to 1 1/2 hours each time doing Turbokick and Hip Hop. I have recently incorporated weight lifting. I have not seen the scale move in 2 weeks and in fact have seen an increase in weight. I can not seem to drop past the 140 mark. How long should I continue to NET 1200 calories with this routine and hope to see the scale go down before trying something else?
*Please note that I meticuously portion my foods and use measuring cups so I know how much I am consuming without hidden calories.**
Advice would be very helpful please!!!!
Thanks,
Teresa

Replies

• skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This happened to me and the plateau lasted maybe 2 months, then I put on a couple of pounds and hadn't changed anything. I took a week off. Obviously I didn't go crazy overboard and binge eat but I didn't exercise outside of very gentle yoga and I didn't count calories (I DID continue to eat healthily, however). Then when I started exercising again I changed everything. I took up running, I did more weight training. Lost about 3 pounds quickly and I've DEFINITELY lost inches. I'd say take a break, and start with a new, fresh routine :D
  • gsnap30
    gsnap30 Posts: 67
    Options
    sounds like your gaining muscle which is great! lots of cardio to shred the fat!!!! I think you should change it up whenever you get bored! good luck!
  • RayRay042408
    Options
    from what i gather... if you hit a plateau... its helpful to UP your net intake... if you're doing 1200, try 1300 or 1350... i just started this 2 days ago, because from 6/26 to 7/31 i lost 11 pounds... and then it stopped and i gained 2 back... i have quite a ways to go, so thats not acceptable, so i try to do a little more during the day & eat a little more.. add a few pieces of fruit to your intake or maybe a protien shake??
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have recently incorporated weight lifting.

You might want to increase your calories a bit to offset the effects of muscle growth.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your calories for a few weeks. You may find that it works.
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I usually have a one or two high calorie days during the week and it seems to help with the plateau effect. You might gain 1-2 lbs on the day you eat over 1200 calories (usually no more than 2000 is good), but during that week, you could lose 3-4....
    In addition, changing what TIME you exercise could help you bust through a plateau. You trick you body into thinking you are doing something different....

I hope this helps...

Good luck!
  • Ssocrrbabe
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    I am going to readjust my goals in MFp for a .5 pound a week weight loss versus a 1 pound a week since I am within 10 pounds of my goal. This will up my calories a bit and hopefully this will work. Thanks!