Intermittent fasting and working out

Options
Hello
I started Intermittent fasting a month ago and I am wondering if it's OK to workout during my fasting window.

I am down 5lbs since Oct 9, 2017 on IF with no workout at all.

I eat between 12-8 and not sure if it would be OK to work out in the morning around 4am.

I used to workout at 4am Monday to Friday doing Shaun T focus 25 before IF, wold that be ok on IF?.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you feel like it and have the energy, sure
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Perfectly fine as long as you have enough energy and are hydrated and can finish the workout. It's a very individualized thing. Some people can workout on an empty stomach, others cannot. Just see what works for you.
  • Shemmy_Ashanty
    Shemmy_Ashanty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you :). I always thought you had to have some form of protein after a workout. Happy to know that I can workout in the mornings again because that's when I am mostly motivated.

Hopefully I can get to my goal weight sooner.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time-I get up and work out at 5am and my usual eating window is 11-7 or 12-8.

The only thing I sometimes do is toss a NUUN electrolyte tablet into my water; at most that's about 10 calories, so not enough to really break the fast, but it does provide caffeine, electrolytes, and frankly some tasty water to chug.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted. The first few weeks were kind of rough while I adjusted but after that I saw no difference. Try it and see how you feel?
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted after having black coffee.

It's usually at least an hour or two after working out that I have my first meal.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You can, and some people do so with a purpose, but it isn't recommended that you do so more than two or three times a week because it puts your body under more stress.
  • kitaemma
    kitaemma Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah I always do fasted cardio as soon as I wake up and my eating window is 12-8pm as well and I’ve had no issues with it at all
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    kitaemma wrote: »
    Yeah I always do fasted cardio as soon as I wake up and my eating window is 12-8pm as well and I’ve had no issues with it at all
    When do you do your cardio? How long between when you wake up and are done to when you eat?

• Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I work out in the early morning and I don't eat until after 4 or 5pm. If I felt cruddy or weak or hungry I wouldn't! As long as your fueling yourself in your eating window, you are fine.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I mean....If you go back to like early earlt human days im pretty sure they didnt eat nearly as often as we did...And were likely way more active..And active while not eating constantly. Assuming you dont have blood sugar problems or anything i cant see any reason why you couldnt work out just fine without eating first. Yes food is our fuel but no it doesnt magically poof from our systems from a few hours of not eating.

I actually feel alot more energetic when i dont eat for a bit, Its why i tend to just not eat until late and then i get to happily feast right up until bed, And that food and its energy is still in my system when i wake up and through my morning for sure.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I'm another person who works out early - 6 am usually. First meal is usually 2 pm or later. I consume some water with MIO water enhancer added. Black cherry flavor with caffeine and B vitamins.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have no advice here but just wanted to say how impressed I am with all you early morning work out people !! I can barely get up for my normal life stuff. ;):D
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Aadam at Physiqonomics.

Science & logic based fitness writer, with wit and artistic skills.

He's written a free e-book on Intermittent Fasting.

http://physiqonomics.com/

He's never spoken to me, so I'm not spamming this or anything. I'm just a huge fan.