Treadmill vs. street running

Options
With winter coming, I'm probably going to have days when I'm running on a treadmill instead of outside. Given that a treadmill is easier (or seems easier at the same pace, anyway), how much faster should I run on a treadmill to keep the exercise the rough equivalent of street running?

Replies

• brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think the difference in perceived intensity is due to strain on your legs and feet. I checked some old records of two comparable runs, one on street and one on treadmill, and my average heart rate only differed by 1 BPM.
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    @brendanwhite84 Interesting...I will have to do this comparison. I don't mind running in cold, but not so much in rain when it gets slippery.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I feel like I work harder on the treadmill than outside. No breaks at lights or slowing down to pass people etc. Just run at least a portion of your treadmill run at a modest elevation.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I don’t notice much difference except the treadmill is dead steady and road has some pace variation for a million reasons. But overall, looking at general averages over the length of a run, there’s not a lot of difference in HR or how it feels. It’s said that putting the TM at 1% incline Better simulates road running. I would do that before attempting to run faster. Although I would do neither to start with and just see how it plays out. The TM is mentally tough if you’re not used to it. The wall is not fantastic scenery.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I think the difference in perceived intensity is due to strain on your legs and feet. I checked some old records of two comparable runs, one on street and one on treadmill, and my average heart rate only differed by 1 BPM.

Heart rate doesn't measure energy expenditure. Just the difference in temperature from inside versus outside can make a significant difference.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Hmm. HR is a pretty good measure of effort, and mine is about the same. But I agree that it seems easier. Some of it could be that the deck is a bit springy, so it's slightly less jarring, and I, for one, get less sore.

Hey, I just feel it out. If I can do a bit more, I speed up.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @sfcrocker I also am fearful of ice and slipping. That's what sends me to the treadmill for sure. I wear glasses so precipitation is also a pain.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I find it much harder to run on the TM. I end up having to run about a minute per mile slower on the TM than outside. My HR and breathing are much higher and it feels like I'm sprinting rather than jogging. I used to do a lot of running on the TM, but haven't had to do that much for months. I hope that I will get used to it again.

Be careful about not keeping the incline high. You want to vary the incline, including flat and downhill if you have a machine that does that, or you're likely to get injured. Knees especially don't like constant steep ups.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into trail shoes. I live in Oregon and spend a lot of my running time in the rain. It's not too slippery. I'm a trail runner (which can be slippery if it's muddy or times like now, when the trails are covered in newly fallen leaves),but I take that into account as I run. I can't run on a treadmill. My center of gravity is nonexistant. I actually fall off treadmills. If you enjoy running outdoors, I'd invest in shoes with some grip. As for rain and glasses, the ONLY time I wear contacts is for runs in the rain. I keep them for that exact purpose.
  • delvin2
    delvin2 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    TM is mentally taxing to me. I’ve always read that adjustments to the incline can give similar results. When I lived in Syracuse, I just geared up and hit the outdoors. I was good for any temp above 20 degrees. Layers, layers, layers. Now in Florida, I have the opposite issue.

The beauty of running is the freedom it provides. TMs are too confining. I call it the DREADmill.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I actually find running on the treadmill harder than street running. My HR and paces would say otherwise, but I always feel like I'm expending more effort than I should on a TM.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Make sure to set aside time for hip flexor stretches if you're not used to a treadmill. It stresses the muscles in almost the opposite fashion to street running where you're moving your bodyweight.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I find it more difficult to run on the treadmill in that the natural fluctuations that happen with my pace out on the street can't happen intuitively on it.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I recall reading that one must do 2:1 treadmill vs real world distance when flat.
    Inclined treadmill can correct for this.
    The issue that the tread is moving toward you thus reducing the effort to cover distance.