Is this normal? No weight loss for 11 days.

Options
Hi everyone, this is my first post but I’ve been reading the forums a lot and still have a question.

About me, I’m female, 44 years old, 5ft 7, currently 191 pounds. I’ve been using MFP for about 11 weeks. I’m trying to lose 1 1/2 pounds per week. For the first 9-10 weeks I was right on target and lost 16 pounds.

For the past 11 days my weight hasn’t dropped at all however. I haven’t changed anything. I’m eating about 1400 calories per day. I’m not excercising but my lifestyle is lightly active (teacher and parent of young children who walks to work).

It’s so depressing to not see any more progress for so long but if it’s normal I can stick with what I’m doing. But I’m wondering if I should change anything? I don’t really want to eat less calories. I’m already hungry.
I plan to add some dumbbell routines and hopefully an excercise class or 2 but I would probably eat those calories back.

FWIW I don’t use a food scale but I’m pretty confident that my logging is accurate enough. Even if I’m going over on calories (which I don’t think I am) I’m definitely not eating at maintenance. I should have lost at least a bit in this time frame.

Oh, and my scales are not broken. I tested it with extra weights. But it is a fairly basic scale which only reads pounds and half pounds.

Hoping for some tips and reassurance. Thanks.

Replies

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    irzdple8h1nr.png
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It’s very normal. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

Give it another couple weeks and if you don’t start losing, then you may want to look into that food scale to help you out.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Very, very normal. Don't give up!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    yes
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    While we're here, have you decreased your calories any? As you lose weight, your TDEE calories are going to decrease slightly. I usually lower mine every 10 pounds or so.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Generally 3-4 weeks with no loss is cause for concern not 11 days. It is normal not to lose every week.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

Generally a good starting place-
    Check the accuracy of your logging. Use a food scale. Check that database entries you are using are correct.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    You could be retaining water from something.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10575000/water-weight-gain-stop-panicking#latest
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Great job on the first 16 lbs! You can totally get away with out using a food scale in the beginning. I lost my first 50 without one (but I’m also a very experienced dieter lol). However, as you have less to lose, you’ll want to tighten up your logging.

Since you don’t want to go below 1400 cals - I dont blame you - redo guided set-up at your current weight and lower you loss rate to 1 lb a week. Keep lightly active as your activity level. You’ll get more calories but if you start using the food scale, you’ll start losing again!
  • Boot1973
    Boot1973 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement. I will buy a food scale and start using it when I’m at home. When I’m at work I usually eat a can of soup so hopefully the nutritional label is enough to go by. I don’t eat out much but I just make my best guess when I do.

I like the advice to change my goals to 1lb a week. I can feel my motivation slipping so those extra calories might be enough to stop me just giving up.

Hopefully I will see the scale move soon.
  • toddandwendy3
    toddandwendy3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Its's pretty normal for me.
  • Rooskie73
    Rooskie73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I like the advice to change my goals to 1lb a week. I can feel my motivation slipping so those extra calories might be enough to stop me just giving up.

Hopefully I will see the scale move soon. [/quote]

That was great advice about changing your goal to a lb a week. If you aren't losing, it is so easy to lose motivation. I'm also one to encourage the scale for your kitchen. I do like it that more restaurants are putting their calories on their menus. That helps when eating out and takes some of the guess work out. It may not be totally accurate, but it is better than just guessing. Congrats on losing what you have lost already!! Good luck!!

• alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't see changes in my weight (besides daily fluctuations) until 2-3 weeks pass, that's if I am consistent with my diet and gym sessions. The goal could be 2, 1, or half a pound a week loss and I still won't see them difference on the scale for some time.
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Of the 17-20ish lbs I've lost by this point, the first 10 took me an entire year. THAT is abnormal. You're doing fine. Sometimes people plateau for a little while.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! The weight will drop...I go through periods of times where the scale doesn't budge, but I know my deficit is there and my activity level remains constant (fellow teacher and mom to young kids) and eventually the scale moves again :)
  • Boot1973
    Boot1973 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I lost one pound but then gained .5. I’ve decided to eat at maintenance today and tomorrow as a psychological boost and hopefully if I’m holding on to water weight it will help precipitate the mythical Whoosh.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Boot1973 wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I lost one pound but then gained .5. I’ve decided to eat at maintenance today and tomorrow as a psychological boost and hopefully if I’m holding on to water weight it will help precipitate the mythical Whoosh.
    Don't get caught up in your day-to-day weight. You want to look at your trend over time. Your weight will fluctuate. Your aim is to have a general downward trend.

Here's a 3 month time frame where I was at or below my calorie goal every day:

kbo6yyroz8g8.jpg