Any parents have this issue?

Options
I have no problem at all sticking to my daily calorie allotment EXCEPT when it comes to bites of my child's food. A bite of Mac and cheese here, some turkey sandwich there, and BAM! I've added 300 calories to my day. I account for everything but damn it's hard not to sneak a bite sometimes! :p

Replies

• dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Oh sweet baby Jesus yes! I try to make a conscious effort not to but he gets to eat some yummy stuff! He's a slow eater too so I'm trying not to sneak a bit the whole time he's eating, I'm a terrible mom I know. :D
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    I’m also guilty of this!
    Love a few mouthfuls haha
    But you’re right it does add up!
    I always leave myself a spare 150 cal to compensate for it :lol:
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    When I was in Weight Watxheds they would call these BLTs ( bite licks and tastes). Stick a piece of gum in your mouth right before you start cooking and or serving the kids.
  • mrw0915
    mrw0915 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The Struggle. :)
  • sarahcohee
    sarahcohee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, like @dinadyna21, mine happens while the verrrry slow eater is still working on it. Or before it makes it to the table!
  • verybusybee
    verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am so guilty of this. Mine is more when they don't finish that delicious stuff they have I feel the need to clean the plate. I learned in one of the books I read (MIndless EAting) this is attatched to when we were young and parents would tell you to clean you plate or else. Now I do it. Recently I have stopped cold turkey if it a carb. Still sneak the meat though.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I really dislike throwing away food, but if what was leftover on my son's plate wasn't enough to save then I'd rather dispose of it than eat the extra calories.

I also viewed making him a plate and serving him (even as a baby / toddler) like I would any other person. I certainly wouldn't pick off of someone's plate while preparing and serving it, nor while they were eating so I never did that to him, either. Then again, table manners are a big deal to me. Etiquette is important to teach children.
  • LEdmonds2016
    LEdmonds2016 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My son is autistic and only eats finger foods. He touches all of his food and takes small bites off each item. Sometimes he finishes them, sometimes he doesn't. Even washing his hands before dinner still makes me squeamish to eat after him. I can definitely refrain from finishing his meals. Hubby.. has no problem polishing off whatever is left over.
  • Adamanda5
    Adamanda5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Kids are gross. I am a bit of a germaphobe when it comes to sharing food, and I have seen my kids pick so many wedgies and boogers that I have never had the problem of desiring to sample what they have touched. Actually, come to think of it, when I was a child my mother used to take sips of my drinks or bites of my food, and I was so grossed out I wouldn't eat/drink after her, even though it was MY food! She used to claim, "We share the same spit!" (implying that because we were related our saliva was the same, and carried nothing harmful or distasteful that could pass on to each other). I really hated that!
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    sarahcohee wrote: »
    Unfortunately, like @dinadyna21, mine happens while the verrrry slow eater is still working on it. Or before it makes it to the table!

I've been know to sneak a nibble in transport from kitchen to table lol
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    I really like when my daughter share some bites at meal time, even the weird stuff. I can't refuse that sticky little hand with whatever it's handing over, I don't log it but guess it kind of balances out the parts she picks from my plate.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Immediately chop up the crusts and feed them to the birds. The kids get used to their legft overs being bird food not mum-food.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YES!, and my kid is 19... too funny.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do you not eat the same foods your child eats? You don't have your own mac and cheese or turkey sandwich if you want it?

I was a parent of a kid with a smaller appetite and would finish up what she didn't eat for years.
    I learned to:
    1. Cook less/ put less on her plate
    2. throw away the leftovers

I figured out the weights/measurements for exactly 1 dd sized portion of mac and cheese. That is what I cook when she is the only one eating it.
    I eat the same food she eats pretty much so it isn't like I have a plain salad every day and she gets all the tasty food.
    If I don't want to nibble chewing gum or sucking on a mint helps.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of this. Especially with my daughter who loves to "share" her food (AKA her being done with her food sooner so she can get a treat, lol)
  • unfair_mom
    unfair_mom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used to just split a "normal" size meal with my toddler then snack during her nap. Worked well for a while - but by the time she started school she wanted her own food. Now my kid is a teenager and makes such delicious stuff and offers me a taste! Lol, I think it's even harder to resist now.
  • ree2lose
    ree2lose Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My children would just routinely hand me their crusts (the best part IMO).

I could have wrote this
  • ree2lose
    ree2lose Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ree2lose wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My children would just routinely hand me their crusts (the best part IMO).

I could have wrote this
    It’s been a real eye opener seeing how much I used to eat