‼️HELP‼️Macro’s for a lean bulk

Options
williambelec
williambelec Posts: 2 Member
Hi everyone! My name is Will and I am new to the MyFitnessPal forum! I like the community here. People trying to change their life through fitness and nutrition! I *kitten* love it:) to give a little background, I am 19 years old, 160 lbs and I for the past few months hit a plateau in my fitness journey. I suffered from depresssion and I’ve stopped training as hard and eating as clean as I did for the past year. I’ve always been that chubby cute kind of kid you know... I was fat when I was youger but that changed when I started to go at the gym for 2 years or so... I trained mostly with heavy weights with an average of 8 reps for 4 rounds type of work out! I’d say that I lost a lot of body fat and gained a lot of muscle in the past few years (1-2) now I am around 11-12% body fat( even tho the tests says I’m at 10%) I still do not believe that my physique reflects the 10% body fat male body... furthermore, I decided to become fit as *kitten* because I like the confidence that it gives me overall! I used to go out and girls would ask me my name for no reason and *kitten* and I kind of miss that confidence boost the endorphin gave me... Sooooo ! I am looking to gain lean muscle mass! I met a professional trainer and nutritionist and we concluded I would be doing a certain type of workout which includes heavy lifting and hard CrossFit type of stuff;) my doubt are on the nutrition side of the program and I hope some of you could help me with my questions. My trainer wants to start me at 5 work outs a week. With a macros split of 45% prot- 25% carb- 30% fat! For a grand total of 2400-2500 calories each day!! That comes around 270g of protein, 150-160g of carbs and 80g of fat or so... His methodology recommand that exact macro split for the following reasons: 1st: I need a lot of protein in order to give my muscle no choice but to grow. The carbs are as low as this because I try to lean bulk, so carbs are low at the moment b cause of that. I still get enought to give the energy needed to my muscle in order to workout properly! It’s not a low carb diet. That’s what he said! And fats to fill the missing calories and to make me feel full... he’s saying that we will arrange depending on the way my body reacts to this macro split. And like what we will mess around with carbs and fats depending on my body fat fluctuation... he explained me that one day, my muscle will be big enought so that They will need way more energy that they need right now, which leads to a higher calorie diet in order to only maintain my weight... the goal is to build as much muscle with the less body fat so that one day I could stay lean on a “normal” 40carbs-30protein-30 fats IIFYM diet... and that to get their I need my muscle to grow to make my actual 2300 calories maintenance go up to as much as 3000 y’all know what I mean! I however feels like the protein are way to high in terms of grams... I feel like 230 g would be more than enought but If I did dropped my protein intake by 50g or so, Would I need more carbs?? That’s where I’m confused!! I will of course try it for a few weeks to see how my body reacts but I would like to know what you fitness gurus think about that specific macro split ? ;) what are your experiences? What works best for you? What macros split helped you best to lean bulk? Thank you very much to the ones who will replie! See ya people of MyFitnessPal

PS: I l know that what truly matters at the end of the day is consistenssy, and calories deficit! If I wanna gain weight, I need to eat 250-500 cals over my maintenance, and the inverse is true if I wanna lose weight... but the thing is that I don’t give a *** about weight! I give a *** about my physique and the way I feel... sooooo yeye! And I’ve tried a lot of different routines in the past, like intermittent fasting until the afternoon but that stratedgy does not work for me! I tend to overeat salty foods due to craving from not eating for 16+ hours... I also hate the feeling of eating big as** meals and the feeling of bloating it gives me afterwards... Sorry to my kinobody bro’s ;) so no need to explain the basic calories deficit thing! My buddy Greg O’GALLAGHER already brained washed me with it so I’m good! I juste want tips for macro split to get lean and In shape, thanks folks

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So lean bulking comes from a little surplus of calories over maintenance (250 to 400) to help minimize fat gains. It has absolutely nothing to do with macros. Being that you are young and lean already, you definitely have the benefit to gain muscle while minimizing fat gains.

For macros, I'd put you around .8 to 1.2g/lb of body weight, fats around .4g/lb and the rest carbs. Carbs actually support muscle growth and recovery.

The bigger question is, what does your lifting program actually look like and how much experience do you have following a structure plan?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    If bulking, 1gm per pound is more than enough. So 160gm protein is sufficient. Let the carbs and fat fill the rest of the calories naturally. It wont matter for your bulk.
  • SiddharthaGautama
    SiddharthaGautama Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Lean bulk is like 150-200 cal over maintenance. The best option for those cal is protein ( because its safer for your body to bulk on protein and fat than on protein and carbs - insulin )
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Lean bulk is like 150-200 cal over maintenance. The best option for those cal is protein ( because its safer for your body to bulk on protein and fat than on protein and carbs - insulin )

Its better to bulk and safer to bulk on carbs and protein because carbs prevent protein breakdown. Less protein breakdown, the better the protein turnover.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    And to expand on what @psuLemon stated - if your body does not have enough energy in the form of glucose, but has has amble protein then your body will turn protein into glucose. This process is very expensive, in terms of energy used, and is called gluconeogenesis. Something of which I am acutely aware in my experimentation (but I do not want to detract from this post with my stuff....).
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Advice: get a new trainer.
    1. This guy thinks lean bulks require low carbs. No support for this in the literature. No idea where he got this. Sounds like bro science. The splits that @psuLemon gave you are accurate and supported by the literature.
    2. You already don't trust his nutritional advice or you wouldn't have posted. When you don't follow his nutritional advice, that is just going to strain your relationship. Either you will lie to him about doing what he recommended, or you will tell him that you are doing something different because some anonymous people on an internet forum told you he was wrong.
    3. If his nutritional advice is off, should you trust his training advice? You haven't asked about that but just based on what you have posted, I am equally skeptical that he knows what he is talking about there.
  • williambelec
    williambelec Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    edickson76 wrote: »
    Advice: get a new trainer.
    1. This guy thinks lean bulks require low carbs. No support for this in the literature. No idea where he got this. Sounds like bro science. The splits that @psuLemon gave you are accurate and supported by the literature.
    2. You already don't trust his nutritional advice or you wouldn't have posted. When you don't follow his nutritional advice, that is just going to strain your relationship. Either you will lie to him about doing what he recommended, or you will tell him that you are doing something different because some anonymous people on an internet forum told you he was wrong.
    3. If his nutritional advice is off, should you trust his training advice? You haven't asked about that but just based on what you have posted, I am equally skeptical that he knows what he is talking about there.

Yeah bro thanks for your advice! It’s so overwhelming because everybody contradict other people’s opinion but I feel like their is no better way for me to test a lot of different work out and nutrition until I find what really works for me you know... I went for a trainer because I was overwhelmed at first... but I réalised that every body have different work outs that suit best their body types and goals and I found that this trainer has the same genetic has me ( big bones ) put on fat fast, slow metabolism etc. And he’s transformed his body like what the** naturally so I kinda want to at least try what the guy suggest me... afterwards, After a few weeks/months, I will play with my macros trying to find the sweet spot... but I feel like I got to try 100% intensity and see what the results are... after that, if I’m not happy with progression I will know that their is a problem and I gotta move on but for the moment, I will give everything I have to the gym and follow the macros sugesdted you know... I just wanted a point of view from experienced gym dudes to see if it made sense to eat a lot of protein like that... but I gotta say I do not feel like it’s a low carb diet... I eat fruits before and after work out and oatmeal in the morning and rice or quinoa and sometimes even god daym popcorn if it fits in their... I don’t feel deprived from food so that’s good to me... further more thanks a lot for your instructive comment bro! I have a question for you! ‼️With all of what you’ve tried, what was the sweet spot nutrition and training wise?? Like what did you start doing that got you like, daym this really works!!?? In other words, what would be your tip to the younger you??? Thanks man
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I understand your affinity for following the advice of a guy with the same body type who has had success. You are young, and if you simply go to the gym consistently and progressively increase the weights, you will see positive results.

There is no magic approach that really works. If you want to lose weight, eat consistently fewer calories than you burn. If you want to gain weight, eat consistently more calories than you burn. If you want to build muscle, progressively increase the work you ask your muscles to do.