Period weight masking weight loss?

I get so frustrated because every 2 weeks, I gain water weight like crazy and it makes me feel like I'm not losing anything. Even though my eating is on point, my weight goes up and down all the time and it's hard to see a general trend this early on. Anyway, I just needed to vent because this is extremely frustrating.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    It is frustrating, but as you get more time and more data points you'll see your body's trend. Then you'll know to expect it, and have more confidence that its only temporary.
  • acarpenter6
    acarpenter6 Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks! I currently use Happy Scale to track my weight daily and I always know when it's coming but it's still annoying to see that gain on the scale even though it's only temporary
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Yeah it's normal but a pain in the butt :p Look at monthly trends vs daily or weekly, to get a better idea of where you're at.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    I've tracked enough that I know about two weeks before my period, my weight will go up, and then one week before, I'll drop like 3 lbs. It's normal. Once you get used to the trends it won't bother you as much!! Just keep at it!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Its normal around TOM time, but as long as the general trend is down over the months you know that all is well. I bounce up around 2lbs on the scale for the week of period, even in maintenance this happens but its temporary.
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Period weight is why I started weighing myself everyday. Now I understand the trends better I actually look forward to seeing how big the fluctuations will be. This time around I gained 2.5lbs on day one and was 4.1lbs lighter on the last. I love seeing that last number...even though I know it's not "real" and I'll see two of those pounds back within a day or two.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Good to know
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Ovulation=a few LBS of WATER
    Period=a few LBS of WATER

Wrap your mind around it, come to terms with it, and move on. Trendweight and other tools are great for realizing that.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Also, be prepared that if you have lots to lose (like I do) your trends may change over time. At the beginning of my weight loss my monthly cycle did not affect my weight loss at all. However, the more I lose, the more I see those ovulation and period week water weight gains.
  • acarpenter6
    acarpenter6 Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Im about 20 pounds away from my healthy weight so water weight makes even more of a difference than before for sure
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Mhm amen sistas! Im at that point right now.. 5 pounds ugh. Best part is im taking fertility drugs so my hormons are like ×10.. it SUCKS
  • helio23
    helio23 Posts: 6 Member
    Yep. I vow not to get on the scale when I know it's coming because it only frustrates me lol. That doesn't mean I give myself a free pass to fall off the wagon; I still try my best to stick to my fitness plans while I wait for it to be over, though cravings can make that more difficult.
  • katetelf
    katetelf Posts: 6 Member
    I get so frustrated because every 2 weeks, I gain water weight like crazy and it makes me feel like I'm not losing anything. Even though my eating is on point, my weight goes up and down all the time and it's hard to see a general trend this early on. Anyway, I just needed to vent because this is extremely frustrating.

yep. It has freaked me out. I am up about 2 kilograms! Which is what I lost! I did alter my calorie intake to a slighty higher amount, but it is still under my TDEE and I work out hard 6 times a week as well as walk lots. Here is hoping this is all period bloat, as I will restrict calories for a few days and see what happens :(:(
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2017
    Yep! It's the trend over time that you need to look at. Plus, if you know to expect it, that should take some of the sting out. I know it's no fun to see a "gain" on the scale no matter what - even if you know it's not actual fat gain and will go away in a few days - but I mean, you know to expect it, and you really can't avoid it apparently, so don't let it derail you.

When I used to get periods I wouldn't lose, but would stay (per the scale, that is) about the same for a week and a half, so the illusion was no weight loss. However, when my period came I would shoot down a couple of pounds. That showed me that it really was water gain masking loss, especially since it was so consistent.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    ng7aivkn14rx.jpg
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    I'm right there with you! I lose the first two weeks of my cycle, stall for two weeks, and usually drop 3-4 pounds right away after the water weight goes away. I've been at this a year now though so I totally expect it and always know it's gonna happen
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    It's annoying and frustrating and totally normal! You'll get used to seeing it every month and you'll start to begrudgingly accept it haha. My weight loss stalls around ovulation for a few days to a week, then I lose, then stall again at TOM for a couple of days, sometimes gain a couple at start of TOM. Joys of being a woman?!?
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 164 Member
    Oh gosh yes the joy of being a women!! Then when you eat anything salty during that time I retain even more water.