I lost 12 pounds in 8 weeks! Good Pace?

Options
I still have 24 more pounds to go. I'm a 6'0 male and currently weigh 214 Ibs. Trying to get down to 190 Ibs. I lost a lot in the beginning, but around the 3-4th week, the weight loss started tapering off and not as great as it was initially. Is this normal? Thanks

Replies

• phillyeagles9358
    phillyeagles9358 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    One to two pounds a week is a near perfect place to be when losing weight. It is quite normal to see a slowing down in weight loss but that just means you may need to revaluate your current diet. How many calories are you taking in per day? A good rule of thumb for weight loss is to create caloric deficit of 250 to 500 calories per day to lose a pound or two per week.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,743 Member
    Options
    250 to 500 Cal a day deficits would result (under ideal conditions) to the loss of 0.5 to 1lb of fat a week, not 1 to 2lbs!

And with that caveat a 500 calorie deficit is probably more appropriate for the op than the probably higher than 750 calorie deficit they are currently achieving....

Or even more appropriately how about not exceeding 20% of TDEE as your deficit...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How much have you lost in the past six weeks? Discounting the initial water weight loss, it sounds like you're doing fine.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I think what's good is whether you can stick with your program. It's not impossible to regain 12 lbs. in a few quick weeks. So if what you're doing is comfortable for you, and you're healthy, then that's probably the right pace for you. It may slow down (it doesn't have to, but it may); if so, don't panic. These things aren't necessarily linear and some people drop quite a bit at the very beginning, then go more slowly.
  • neely47
    neely47 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One to two pounds a week is a near perfect place to be when losing weight. It is quite normal to see a slowing down in weight loss but that just means you may need to revaluate your current diet. How many calories are you taking in per day? A good rule of thumb for weight loss is to create caloric deficit of 250 to 500 calories per day to lose a pound or two per week.

I eat around 1800 calories a day which I find works well for me.
  • neely47
    neely47 Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How much have you lost in the past six weeks? Discounting the initial water weight loss, it sounds like you're doing fine.

9.5 pounds in last 6 weeks.