Protein Shakes

A protein shake for breakfast fits my lifestyle. The issue right now is the one I'm using is too high in calories, carbs, and sugar. What's your favorite and why? Please, no mention of MLM products!

Replies

• sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    edited November 2017
    I like six-star whey isolate plus... 150 calories, 30 grams of protein, 3 grams total carbs. It's not expensive, and you can pick it up at wally world. That's pretty solid on calories since 30 grams of protein have 120 calories alone. I haven't found anything better. That French vanilla cream tastes really good too. It's like that vanilla muscle milk to me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Mine is from Costco. Kaizen Whey IsOlathe, vanilla.
    35p, 2c, .5f, for 150 cals.
    Sweetened with 40g sucralose and stevia.
    (I pick it up when it is on sale)

I just glug it down with water. It tastes fine, and gives a good amount of protein for the calories.

I use this because I am small so don't get a lot of cals even in maintenance and prefer getting most of my cals from food.
    This fills protein gaps where needed.

Cheers, h.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If you want a lower calorie / low carb protein shake then don't choose one sweetened with sugar.

My favourite is Naked Diet Whey Protein 90 by The Protein Works, it's sweetened with Stevia (I don't like the taste of sucralose).
  • EternallyTom
    EternallyTom Posts: 3 Member
    I've always used ON's Gold Standard Whey: 30g scoop = 110cal, plus almond milk for even fewer calories (and less sugar than cow milk!)

250mL unsweetened Almond milk = 30calories (0g sugar)
    30g ON Chocolate Whey = 110 calories (1g sugar)
    (I also used powdered peanut butter for a delicious taste but a sugar/calorie hit!)

https://www.onacademy.co.uk/gold-standard-100-whey-1-0e095e054ee94774d6a496099eb1cf6a
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    I like six-star whey isolate plus... 150 calories, 30 grams of protein, 3 grams total carbs. It's not expensive, and you can pick it up at wally world. That's pretty solid on calories since 30 grams of protein have 120 calories alone. I haven't found anything better. That French vanilla cream tastes really good too. It's like that vanilla muscle milk to me.

Same here, I use that brand/type almost exclusively. Flavor is decent, a little on the sweet side but otherwise good. Another good one with almost the same stats is Body Fortress. Around the same price, mixes a bit thicker (not sure what they put in it to make it thicker).

• reevess113
    reevess113 Posts: 29 Member
    I use 1 cup soy milk, a banana, a peach, spinach, a tablespoon of chia seeds and a scoop of the whey protein from Whole Foods. It is about 375 calories but keeps me full until lunch and is full of real food.
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    I have used premier protein. 190 or 160 calories. I cant remember. And 3 grams of carbs depending on flavor. And 30 grams of protein.
    Right now im hsinv atkins until my next order is shipped of premier. (Insurance pays for them)
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    another vote for ON Gold Standard here
  • sbedwards1077
    sbedwards1077 Posts: 32 Member
    Another vote for ON Gold Standard. My favorite is the Chocolate Malt. I will also drink GNC's Wheybolic, it's a lower calorie shake for one scoop.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    I've always used ON's Gold Standard Whey: 30g scoop = 110cal, plus almond milk for even fewer calories (and less sugar than cow milk!)

250mL unsweetened Almond milk = 30calories (0g sugar)
    30g ON Chocolate Whey = 110 calories (1g sugar)
    (I also used powdered peanut butter for a delicious taste but a sugar/calorie hit!)

https://www.onacademy.co.uk/gold-standard-100-whey-1-0e095e054ee94774d6a496099eb1cf6a

I use ON also. I have their milk chocolate (120 calories) and the birthday cake one. And I mix with almond milk as well. the Chocolate is my favorite.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    ON is super tasty. I've found Naked Pea to not be too bad if you want a blank canvas, but you definitely need to add something to it for flavor or it's not a great experience.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Lately I've just been using plain pea protein powder -- it's just 80 calories for 20 grams (that's about 17 grams of protein), hardly any carbohydrates (less than 1 gram). Since I'm mixing it with coffee and almond milk, I don't need it to be sweet. You could probably find similar stats for any "plain" protein powder, not just plant-based ones.
  • Mrs181
    Mrs181 Posts: 36 Member
    I use the Premier Protein ready-to-drink shakes. 160 cals, 5c/3f/30p.
    It's not enough for me to consider breakfast though, so I usually pair it with a greek yogurt or something.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited November 2017
    I use MyProtein Impact Whey in the "natural" flavours (NOT unflavoured!).

Also Grenade Carb Killa shakes when I get them free with an order.
    U Fit or Upbeat for when I'm out and about, as I can find both of them easily (I'm in the UK... stocked in Boots, Tesco, Sainsbury's etc)
  • shaunalaw
    shaunalaw Posts: 1 Member
    Top your shake with thin sliced almonds adds a great crunch
  • I like Six star Whey for Her it is only 90 calories per scoop. I also like Designer Whey which is 100 cal per scoop.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    MyProtein Whey Isolates - it’s good and cheap. They have the highest ranking on Labdoor.com

I’m using Cinnamon Roll now:
    - 90 Cals
    - 0g Fat
    - 2g Carbs
    - 20g Protein
    - 0g Sugars

Bought a kilo for $18.99... I thought Glazed Donut was waaayyy to sweet.
  • WatchitBeginAgain
    WatchitBeginAgain Posts: 41 Member
    I used Vega Vegan Choco-lot Protein Smoothie. It nutritionally sound and not horrible.