Just started strength training and in a lot of pain

Options
Hello - Wondering if this is common or not. I just started bodyweight strength training using the Body by You book, I've done 3 sessions. For most of the exercises I'm at about level 5 out of 25, but in bending I'm at 25. I've done a lot of yoga and took up running this summer, so I'm familiar with muscle aches and have a pretty sturdy core.
The morning after I did my second session, I woke up with a terrible headache, it throbbed when I stood up, and my spine was really sore, too. It has gotten a little better but I still get a headache when I stand up. When I run on alternating days I get a pain in the middle of my back. I feels more like nerve pain than muscle soreness. The Internet tells me I should get an MRI, but that seems excessive. Has anyone heard of or experienced this? Could it be an exercise / exertion headache? Thanks!

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I would not be messing around with potential nerve pain. Get thee to the doctor.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I would call your doctor. I've had exertion headaches before, but usually during the workout, not the next day.

Are you drinking enough water/eating enough? And if your spine is sore, it might mean you're doing the workouts incorrectly...maybe try filming yourself and see how it looks?