Feel fatter than when I started

Options
I've lost 40 pounds which I'm extremely happy about. I still have about 13 to go to my goal. My problem is that I think I look pretty darn good with my clothes on but when I look in the mirror without my clothes on, I feel so disgusted. I still look so fat. I know I have some toning to do which I'm working on now with some weights, hiit workouts, and yoga. Do you all think it's just a mind game and that I am still seeing the person I was? It's just frustrating. I've been working so hard and I feel great. I just wish I liked what I see in the mirror.

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I dont have any advice, but im interested in the responses because I feel the same way. And some days even in clothes I feel like I look the same as when I started.
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It is all in your head!! You have to feel good on the inside before your mind allows you to love what is on the outside. I read somewhere that people who had gastro-bypass or who were on the biggest loser still felt that they were fat even after losing 60 pounds or more because they didn't change the way that they saw themselves.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Sorry you are going through this, I know how frustrating and depressing it can be. The more weight I lose, the more I seem to fixate on my flaws wheras when I was overweight I think there was an element of denial. What has been helping lately is taking a TON of pictures and comparing them to my old ones. I cant help but feel a little proud when I see the progress :) 40lbs is an amazing acomplishment and Im sure you look a hell of a lot better now. Try to remind yourself daily of all the progress you have made and celebrate all of the amazing changes you have gone through to get to the point you are now :)
  • klkc2005
    klkc2005 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I know I've come a long way and i see it in pictures but sometimes when i look in the mirror, the old me creeps in. I need to start taking pictures again.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Mind games - it's irritating, huh?!

Also, when do you normally see yourself with no clothes on? If it's in the evening, when you're full of food and drink from the day, and maybe a bit tired and grumpy, I find it's always the worst point to look!
    Try having a look in the morning after you've been to the bathroom (as long as you didn't have a crazy high salt day the day before!). I always find that helps me feel better.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Our brains are jerks. Reeeeeal jerks.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    If I may... I skipped on through and did not read any other replies so if I repeat anything... that is why. I started my journey on January 11th of this year. I weighed 260 lbs. I found MFP on January 13th. Between changing what and how much I ate and getting up from the couch and active in the gym I lost over 100 lbs in exactly 8 months and 4 days. With that said, your mind does have to play catch up to the changes your body has made and it is on-going for a while. There are still times I have those 'moments' even now and I have been in maintenance for almost 2 months. In addition, you are correct... the firming and toning that you can achieve from Strength training will make a world of difference too. It is certainly a combination. Don't let your head get in the way though... You KNOW you weigh less and you have made changes that have improved your health already. Just stay positive. Don't let yourself feel defeated. Keep pushing and moving forward... there is more change ahead for you!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    40 pounds is a LOT of weight. so your body has changed shape pretty fast and as people say, your brain needs a while to catch up.

the strength training i do has been a real distraction from that kind of 'i look weird' thing. i've gotten so caught up in admiring my new [fill in the blank] at times, i totally forget to go hate on [fill in the opposite blank] somewhere else. if it's denial, i'm happy with it.
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Buying new figure fitting clothes help and as funny it might sound, wearing almost nothing when at home, looking in the mirror, measuring myself, to make the mind catch up that I'm not THAT fat anymore. Also decrease sodium intake, so I don't feel and look bloated aka fatter.
    And then there's always 'you are not fat, you have fat'. If it jiggles, it's extra, so needs to be lost, it's still a process, as you said, you still have 13lbs to go, that will make a difference.