Afternoons snacks are the worst time for me.

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
Seems like no matter what or how much I eat for lunch I'm always hungry an hour later. I ended up having 3 or 4 "snacks", pretty much eating constantly from 2-4:30 if I am at home. If I am at school, I hit up the vending machine for bad bad things following the healthy snack I brought. It often adds up to 500 calories, which isn't that bad considering the calories I eat (about 2000) but it still isn't good to be "grazing" like this.

Additionally, I am always under on protein....

So what's the solution? A "second lunch". Protein shakes? Some kind of protein bar? I usually try cheese and/or nuts first and that doesn't stop the "afternoon munchies".

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Rachel since you're usually low on protein throughout the day, drink a protein shake in the afternoon and it should fill you up until dinner. Optimum Nutrition makes a great one.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with afternoon and evening snacks. When I get hungry, I have almonds and string cheese, then chew on a big wad of mint gum the rest of the afternoon:ohwell:
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I go for almonds or a fiber one bar. Tends to keep me full. I also drink a ton of water all afternoon.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I normally do breakfast, lunch, a granola bar, and then a fruit if I'm still hungry, and then dinner and dessert at home. :) I always try to carry something healthy with me, just incase!
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think the consensus is nuts and cheese.
    I usually have almonds (10-15) and a grilled cheese sandwich with water. It usually fills me up, it's a great snack:)

GOOD LUCK!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Are you sure you're really hungry? Are you hydrated? I got myself in the habit of snacking at work and thought I was just extra hungry in the evenings. I started packing less to bring to work, having a solid lunch and then a 3-4pm snack and I'm amazed that I'm not actually hungry. I was just getting bored and had trained myself that work was a time to munch.
  • dbower18
    dbower18 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    get yourself a six ounce container of non fat plain Greek yogurt. Add some Stevia or some such sweetener, throw in some blueberries or strawberries or whatever. A little over a hundred calories and high in protein. I have one every day at 10 or 3. The other snack time I have an apple or plum with a handful of almonds or pistachios. That should hold you.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, boredom could definitely be a part of it, but that's not going to change. I'm a grad student and while I find my research interesting it's not terrible exciting... The nuts and cheese don't help and I don't like yogurt very much (it's a texture thing). I think I'll try the protein shakes. I've been thinking about that as an option for more protein anyway. Even if it's 300 calories (I haven't looked) it'll be better than what I'm doing now.
  • teachermegan
    teachermegan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you put some complex carbs w/ your protein that could help. So instead of JUST string cheese, apple and string cheese or whole grain crackers and cheese.
    Protein shakes DO keep you full.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    if i feel like snacking (because i'm bored) but can't afford the calories, i break open a bag of baby carrots.. sometimes i have them with hummus. you can eat a lot of them - few calories, super healthy. i also make some tea - green tea wakes me up, and fills me up.

sounds dorky, but i also make a game out of it.. i challenge myself to see if i can make it one more hour without mindlessly snacking.
  • shopgirl192
    Options
    I've been snacking on yogurt the past few days when I'm hungry and it's getting close to dinner time!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Seems like no matter what or how much I eat for lunch I'm always hungry an hour later. I ended up having 3 or 4 "snacks", pretty much eating constantly from 2-4:30 if I am at home. If I am at school, I hit up the vending machine for bad bad things following the healthy snack I brought. It often adds up to 500 calories, which isn't that bad considering the calories I eat (about 2000) but it still isn't good to be "grazing" like this.

Additionally, I am always under on protein....

So what's the solution? A "second lunch". Protein shakes? Some kind of protein bar? I usually try cheese and/or nuts first and that doesn't stop the "afternoon munchies".

Almonds. Can find some in a 100 cal snack size, Emerald makes them.
  • Kristinapedia
    Kristinapedia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How about popcorn? Air popped is the healthiest of course, but a microwave mini bag of light butter should be about 250 calories. I LOVE popcorn and so far it's the only snack I've found that satisfies a craving for "junk food". Nuts and cheese -- for me-- have too much fat and calories. If you're on a 2,000 cal diet, you'll even be ok with the salt content. I'm on 1200 cals and I hardly ever go over my salt. Oh and if you air pop it, you can add some Kernal Season's flavour. They have only 3-5 cal's per 1/4 teaspoon and 35-70mg of salt. The Caramel, Chocolate Marshmallow and other "sweet" ones have more calories, but NO salt or just a trace. (If I'm going for your sweet tooth, you can use confectioner's sugar. 60 cal's in 1/8 cup and you don't need much. Sprinkle it on with a mini strainer. Use no fat/no cal Pam or similar to make it stick.