Travel Tips-Pls

Options
I just started using this App and have done great for the past 4 days, however, I have an out-of-town wedding this weekend and am really concerned about the meals. I'll be traveling with a few co-workers, who, let's just say, aren't watching their weight like I am. Any suggestions for a 6 hour road trip and wedding-and no, I really don't want to splurge this early in the game :)

Many thanks!!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Almonds, bananas, apple and PB, granola bars, rice cakes, edamame, carrots! :) Those are my favorite snacks!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If you end up stopping for fast food and the like, try to stick with the basics -salad, grilled chicken. Do you have the app on your phone? I try to plan ahead for known crappy meals and know what to order before I get there.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    A trick that someone told me that always helped me in a buffet setting which I'm assuming the wedding might be...is to limit yourself to 3 items on the buffet...that way if you really want a dessert than you only have 2 more things to choose instead of putting everything on your plate.

That seems to work for me in a lot of situations...especially at the chinese restaurants!! =)
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm on the road.. right now actually, but pretty often. I got lazy and organized my tips into blog posts.

Travel Tips
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sister_bear/view/sister-s-tips-tricks-for-hotels-travel-124221

Restaurant Tips
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sister_bear/view/sister-s-tips-tricks-for-restaurants-124209

A few folks have posted replies adding their own tips.
  • SweGuy
    SweGuy Posts: 78
    Options
    Dont eat between meals..
  • KimDis
    KimDis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I travel quite a bit for work by plane & car - lots of rest stops have healthier options. Look for things like fresh fruit, low cal string cheese, & even salads.

Don't forget your water! It's easier than you think to get behind when you're traveling.

I agree with the person who said plan ahead. I use the app all the time to help me decide what I'm going to have before I enter a restaurant.

You may also want to pack a few safe choices that are easy for you to tote around in case you have no options.

Good luck - you'll feel like such a rockstar when you've got this trip under your belt!
  • deborahcotton
    Options
    i would just take some good snacks for the road trip in your bag like flavored rice snacks, vitamin waters, fruits and nuts and when it comes to out to eat just eat the salads and grilled meat and at the wedding i would hope they have salad and some grilled meats as well if they dont just watch your portions and walk afterward or dance it off at the reception....lol...hope that helps...hope you have a great time and good luck....
  • lsiegel78
    Options
    Yes, great suggestion, just started with the phone app and love it!!
  • lsiegel78
    Options
    A trick that someone told me that always helped me in a buffet setting which I'm assuming the wedding might be...is to limit yourself to 3 items on the buffet...that way if you really want a dessert than you only have 2 more things to choose instead of putting everything on your plate.

That seems to work for me in a lot of situations...especially at the chinese restaurants!! =)

That's an awesome tip, I love it! Thanks! Sometimes your eyes get carried away at the buffet!!
  • lsiegel78
    Options
    I travel quite a bit for work by plane & car - lots of rest stops have healthier options. Look for things like fresh fruit, low cal string cheese, & even salads.

Don't forget your water! It's easier than you think to get behind when you're traveling.

I agree with the person who said plan ahead. I use the app all the time to help me decide what I'm going to have before I enter a restaurant.

You may also want to pack a few safe choices that are easy for you to tote around in case you have no options.

Good luck - you'll feel like such a rockstar when you've got this trip under your belt!

So true on the water suggestion, my travel buddy and I are both using this App and plan to stock a cooler full of waters and propel zeros to keep us hydrated! I appreciate the input!!