Feeling discouraged

Options
I have lost 29lbs since December but it feels like nothing has changed. People make commentary about how good I look but when I look at me I just see more fat. I have 36lbs to lose to reach my goal. Any suggestions on how to get out of this negative mode?

Replies

• edward1973
    Options
    First well done 29lbs is a heck of an achievement. Why do you think your feeling negative? You should remind yourself of how far you've come and persevere. Add people on here for motivation and support ( add me ) and see what we can do.

Off to bed now so won't reply for a while lol
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Be positive counter those negative thoughts

I mean look what you have accomplished thus far!
  • mikeyg1975
    Options
    First of all congratulations on the 29 pounds lost! It's great that people tell you how good you look because we are our own worst critic! Go and buy yourself a new outfit and realize that back in December you would have had to buy a larger size! Sometimes we all just get in a funk and it's difficult to get out of it....do something fun for yourself as a reward for your hard work....just NOT food! LOL
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    29lbs is nothing to scoff at. You have done an amazing job. It may not seem like it but it takes a long time to get fat. So it will take a while to get rid of it. Just hang in there....anything worth having is never easy to attain.
  • Clw927
    Clw927 Posts: 26
    Options
    You really need to focus on the fact that you dropped 29 lbs! That is awesome! Take one day at a time and be proud of yourself for the accomplishment. Stop looking at your flaws and look at how far you have already come. I know...all easier said then done of course... but you can do it... You're almost half way there!
  • Sirskot00
    Sirskot00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The mirror can be an enemy sometimes. It is for me. So try to ignore it and listen instead to the good folk on MFP that will motivate you and lift you up. This is one of the few places where losing is a good thing.
  • carlarikin
    carlarikin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I get discouraged, I remember that stress is not good for my health so I tell repeatedly tell myself positive phrases like: "Pfff...this exercise is a piece of cake" or "This 'grass" is delicious!!!" or "My goal is not that far away (even though I'm 70-80 lbs away)", etc. When you continually feed your mind something, you start to believe it and do it. Mind over matter, baby!
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    29 lbs, that's awesome! That's a great achievement, and you just have to remind yourself that weight loss is time consuming. It's not going to happen as fast as you'd like, and you're not going to see the results you want to see when you want to see them, because lets face it, we all secretly desire immediate results. But we know that's not possible (except in the case of liposcution but i wouldn't recommend it loll). Try not to think about what you haven't lost, or how much you have left to go. That's unimportant, and irrelevant. What is important, is how far you've come, and how well you're doing. It's going to feel like a very long and slow journey, but as long as you keep up the weight loss, however slow it may be, you're GOING to reach your ultimate goal. Even if it's a year from now, it would still be worth the wait, and effort. You're doing it, and thats what's important. You're not going to see a difference on yourself for a while either, we rarely do, which is very discouraging, I know. But soon you're going to look at some older picturees and you're gonna be like WHOA when the heck did that happen?! =) Just keep at what you're doing, because you're doing great and you're on the road to success!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Go girl go! 29lbs is AWESOME. You must have dropped some clothes sizes, try on some of your old clothes see the difference? Maybe write a blog on MFP of how it has gone for you since December, give others inspiration?

Most of all you have changed on the outside, you will always be the same on the inside.....UNLESS you love the new you and how much you are ACHIEVING in your goals!

Others are seeing the difference in your shape...hey that has to be a good thing?

Well done you, keep up the good work x
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    When we're getting bigger we never really see it about ourselves. I mean, we see it. But don't SEE it until whatever moment makes you turn around and realize you need to make the change. After that moment, no matter how much we improve, we never see that either. We nay-say the compliments and don't believe other people's observations.

Not long ago I got in line at the store behind this guy about my height. And, I thought "Hey, here's a nicely proportioned guy. It would be good to get to that shape." A moment later I notice the sewn-on Levi's tag that shows the pants size. And I realized, I had already been to that shape - one whole size ago. I am narrower than a guy I had just thought was well-proportioned. And yet I STILL see a chubby guy in the mirror.

Tell the voices in your head to be quiet, and listen to the people in your life. Seriously, none of us can trust ourselves to be a fair judge of how we look.

Keep on going. And good luck.
  • blowmeaway
    Options
    AWESOME job on the 29 loss! You did great! Remember this -- "you bring about what you think about". So if you think negative results, you bring negative results, think positive results, you bring positive. This works in business as well as personal life. I use it everyday and live by it in my business but never even thought about it with my health. All my fam are overweight so that's how I've always pictured myself....thus, I am! Now I have this hot and sexy size 4-5 in my constant vision.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! 29 pounds is incredible!

If you haven't already taken measurements, start now! I wish I'd had them done when i started my weight loss journey because they're a great way to see your progress. I had Mom take them for me about a month ago and can't wait until I get measured again!

Aren't your clothes fitting different? That should tell you right there that you've already changed quite a bit. It's no small feat to drop clothing sizes!

Maybe it's time for you to change your priorities a little? Find joy in something else... For me, focusing on fitness goals was the key. I started challenging myself to run more and try new things all the time (new fitness DVDs, etc) and if you're exercising regularly and watching what you eat, the weight loss will follow naturally so it's not as much of a concern.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's an awesome milestone so far. As far as your appearance, like so many other things in life, we are often our own worst critic. No doubt you'll notice little things that no one else would. While yes it is good to try to correct those things it is not healthy to obsess on them. You've improved your body, no doubt. Do you have any Before and current pictures, compare the two and you'll see the results of your effort so far. Like others said, make a very concious and deliberate effort to remind yourself multiple times per day how much progress you have made. Dropping that much weight is not easy and there are a lot of people out there that don't have the knowledge, will power or desire to do it, so you should be very proud.

Be careful how critical you are of yourself. When you start obsessing on things like that rather than seeing the good, that can lead to some very unhealthy habits. Just stick to what is working for you and you'll be great. And for crying out loud, enjoy those compliments each and every time you hear they. They are genuine so take them to heart and let them prop you up.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    29 pound loss is awesome. I also think it's pretty normal to feel a bit discouraged at times. You can do this.

Next time you are at a grocery store, put a 25 lb bag of flour in your cart (or even better, a hand basket) and add four pounds of butter. Take a couple laps around the store. Maybe that will help you sink in what you've accomplished.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You're already in the right mindset. Most people say "Man, I'm discouraged cause I look in the mirror and I'm fat but I want to be skinny" , you say "How do I address these negative thoughts?".

Recognizing that living healthy is a lifestyle, that it doesn't end, that it's not a race, etc. goes a long way towards addressing negative feelings. You know what it takes to lose the weight and you know how long it takes. Just remember you are exactly where you need to be right now.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=181676941899695&set=pu.181625878571468&type=1&theater
  • armacd
    armacd Posts: 95
    Options
    29lbs is Amazing! That is definitely nothing to be discouraged about!!

I think that it is hardest to see the changes in ourself because they happen so gradually. One of the other commenters mentioned taking your measurements, and I completely agree. In addition, take a look at some old pictures, and take some new ones...I'm sure you will be shocked at the difference, because it happens so gradually you don't notice the changes.

Also, look at other positive effects of your weight loss....are you feeling better, do you have more energy? Celebrate the small successes and know it is a journey :)

We are here for support!