Former WW. Does MFP help with binges and balance?

Options
theyoginurse
theyoginurse Posts: 82 Member
edited November 2017 in Getting Started
I am new to MFP. I was on WW before, and the Points Program used to leave me feeling confused, obsessed, deprived, so I would binge by the end of the day. What prompted me to join MFP was on my birthday, I couldn’t eat cheesecake because it was 48 Points. So if I tracked calories, like on MFP, I could have fit it in my day. Here I am!

Has MFP helped you stop binge eating? Please explain how. And has it helped you find balance and eating in moderation?

I feel MFP is more empowering and takes the control away from food, and leaves it up to us.

Replies

• Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The thing that stopped binge eating for me, was finally figuring out at a too-aggressive cut in daily calories from my maintenance amount made me crave.
    Cravings --> running out of the finite resource of will power --> binge.

So yes, tracking calories is a part of the equation, because I can monitor the amount of energy I'm putting in to my body. But if I set my calories too low, no amount of tracking or will power makes a difference. The binge happens because I've let myself get really, REALLY hungry over the course of days/weeks/months.

I also find getting enough protein and fibre make a difference for me. Days where I hit these targets make being in a deficit much much easier. Days where I don't get enough and I'm having to rely on will power again when I start standing at the open fridge door, staring like a startled deer into the light.

So if you put your stats in, set it to lose 1lbs per week, and you are given 1800 calories (with the expectation that you will add back exercise calories) THEN EAT 1800 plus some exercise calories per day. If you only hit 1600 per day and don't add anything back - sure, weight loss happens but I find I set myself up for hunger....which ends with a whole pizza, a loaf of garlic bread, a litre of soft drink, plus dessert.
  • theyoginurse
    theyoginurse Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply. It makes total sense to me and happy you stopped binge eating.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    For me it's helped knowing what foods are hard for me to stop eating, and then limit those in my house. I do not cut them out completely though. Eat what MFP gives you for 1lb weight loss per week and eat back at least half your exercise calories as @Firefly0606 said. Trust the process and be patient with yourself.