Meeting calories

Options
I would like to lower my carb intake but I feel like when I try, I don't meet my calorie goal. I also have trouble meeting my protein goal so I was goin to pick up some protein powder today to put in my smoothies. Any suggestions?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Eat more foods that are higher in protein and fat?

What is your carbohydrate goal and why are you seeking to lower carbohydrates? As long as you're getting sufficient protein and fat, there's no reason to limit carbohydrates (assuming you don't have an underlying medical issue that requires it).

It's hard to offer specific advice without really knowing what you eat, but generally when people struggle to eat enough it's a sign that they are either restricting too much or they may be eating more than they think they are (either from using things like measuring cups or estimates to tell how much food you're eating or by accidentally choosing faulty database entries).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Siggi's Icelandic yogurt. You can eat all the protein with almost none of the carbs or calories.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why would you like to reduce carbs if you are coming in under your calories? How much protein are you getting now?
  • ashmazuro6161o
    ashmazuro6161o Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am a carby. I love carbs. Addicted to them probably. ;) I'm trying to break this cycle within myself. I looked into keto but its extreme and i dont think i can manage 20g or less of carbs every day. I have lowered them a bit. Trying to keep it around 100g or 150g (high end for me). I feel satisfied after eating whole grain bread etc. I'd like to lower them a tad more. But meals feel empty without it. Whats a tuna fish sandwich without the bread?
    I can meet my calorie goal WITH bread, bars, granola. But I feel like I can't without it. I eat eggs, bacon here and there, salsa, hard boiled eggs, romaine salad with cucumbers, ranch, i add olive oil to my foods for my fats, mayo, Plain greek yogurt with granola. Chicken breast, tuna for protein and a protein bar (that i bought for the chocolate on it, ugh) i eat cheese, crackers, raspberries, grapes, strawberries. Maybe i need to revise my macros? But i dont know what to set them at. I can easily go over on carbs and not meet protein.
    I pre plan my meals for the next day the night before or morning of because if I dont I know I'll just mindlessly binge, and it gives me room to adjust my meals if want. I do meet my calorie goal with carbs. And i don't really restrict myself with food except just making healthy food choices. 2 weeks ago i was eating chips and ice cream when i got home after work at 11 pm. Now i eat cheese and something sweet. I am satisfied every night and almost never hungry because i eat 3 meals and snack through out the day.

I weigh 212 lbs. And my UGW is 130 which is what I weighed 2.5 years ago. Right now I'm just trying to get to 160. :)
  • keto_strong
    keto_strong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Keto can be a great way to lose weight, increase energy and reduce cravings but it’s not for everyone. You’re right about it being strict .. not a lot of wiggle room and once you’re out of ketosis it takes time to reset. A lot of people choose Keto because you can lose more weight, more quickly (and you’re rarely hungry). It’s a commitment though and worth figuring out if it’s something that can work for you before you begin. It takes about 4-6 weeks to become adapted but imo is well worth it!

Choosing a traditional method of setting a reasonable calorie limit and increasing activity is a healthy alternative. It sounds like you’re already making good choices with the foods you’re eating. I agree that it’s important to log what we eat carefully. It’s easy to underestimate!!

Whatever way you choose to go about it is all personal preference. My only advice is to be kind to yourself (your body hears what your mind says), ditch the scale and work toward becoming healthier and happier. That’s always the ultimate goal!

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter? High in protein, fat, and calories.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I am a carby. I love carbs. Addicted to them probably. ;) I'm trying to break this cycle within myself. I looked into keto but its extreme and i dont think i can manage 20g or less of carbs every day. I have lowered them a bit. Trying to keep it around 100g or 150g (high end for me). I feel satisfied after eating whole grain bread etc. I'd like to lower them a tad more. But meals feel empty without it. Whats a tuna fish sandwich without the bread?
    I can meet my calorie goal WITH bread, bars, granola. But I feel like I can't without it. I eat eggs, bacon here and there, salsa, hard boiled eggs, romaine salad with cucumbers, ranch, i add olive oil to my foods for my fats, mayo, Plain greek yogurt with granola. Chicken breast, tuna for protein and a protein bar (that i bought for the chocolate on it, ugh) i eat cheese, crackers, raspberries, grapes, strawberries. Maybe i need to revise my macros? But i dont know what to set them at. I can easily go over on carbs and not meet protein.
    I pre plan my meals for the next day the night before or morning of because if I dont I know I'll just mindlessly binge, and it gives me room to adjust my meals if want. I do meet my calorie goal with carbs. And i don't really restrict myself with food except just making healthy food choices. 2 weeks ago i was eating chips and ice cream when i got home after work at 11 pm. Now i eat cheese and something sweet. I am satisfied every night and almost never hungry because i eat 3 meals and snack through out the day.

I weigh 212 lbs. And my UGW is 130 which is what I weighed 2.5 years ago. Right now I'm just trying to get to 160. :)

Carbs are not the devil :) From what I am reading, it really seems to me that you are (1) eating within your calorie range (2) eating a range of food that will meet your need for micro nutrients (3) enjoying chocolate here and there. If you really want to sub out something, ditch the granola with your yogurt and top it with something else crunchy (salted soy nuts or pumpkin seeds, for example). Ditch the crackers altogether, and have a handful of nuts. But really it looks like you are doing fine.

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If you are within calories and are satisfied your %ages of the macros can be what satisfies you most. Don't fall for the false "carbs need to be low" thing. Hit a good amount of protein and fat, and then let the rest fall where they may. I am maintaining below goal weight at ~50% carbs, and have done so for 15 years.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about trying to limit carbs. I'd focus on getting "enough" protein, 80 to 100g and then let your calories fall where you are most satisfied. I like fat, and don't feel full without it. I'm usually over fat and under carbs.
  • ashmazuro6161o
    ashmazuro6161o Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the support. :) for now I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing! :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Straight up sounds like you enjoy carbs and they satisfy you. Eat the carbs. Good majority of my diet is carbs id put them in as anywhere from 60-80% of my calories ...Because they are what my body likes. Sometimes you need to listen to your body more thn what you read on the internet you need. just keep that in mind if you want some yummy bread carbs are just fuel :p
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Siggi's Icelandic yogurt. You can eat all the protein with almost none of the carbs or calories.

And Skyr Icelandic yogurt—I have the vanilla bean for dessert!