Fighting B.E.D

Options
Im Sabrina, and I have struggled with Binge Eating Disorder for as long as I can remember. I was too embarrassed to tell anyone, so I steuggled alone. A couple of years ago, my mom passed away at the age of 49, due to complications with diabetes. My grandfather passed away the same way when I was 16. I am 34 now, and terrified that I will suffer the same fate. I weigh 222 lbs. at 5 ft tall. I feel sick all the time. My immune system doesn't work as well as it used to. Finally, I told my doctor about the binge eating. He prescribed Vyvanse for it. I know it's a crutch. I have to learn to live better, and exercise my willpower. The medicine helps though. I've taken it for a month now, and I don't live to eat as much. It has helped me focus my efforts into losing weight and research a healthier lifestyle. I never knew what nutrition meant. I won't lie; I stil struggle daily. The vending machine, taunts me on my way to break. My family can't bring any snacks into the house without the threat of me eating all of them overnight. It's horrible, and still a bit lonely. However, I have lost 6 lbs in a month. I expect to lose more. I don't go into the store on certain days, mostly because I can't really trust myself. Hopefully, I won't fall off the wagon again because I really do not want to die like my mom did. It was traumatic. I want to live and be healthy. I want to see my boys grow up and have kids, or whatever they choose to do. I still need my mom, and I know they will still need me. I don't want to break my husbands heart the way my mom broke my dads heart. So for now I will talk to you guys and get it off my chest.

Replies

• egwinnnn
    egwinnnn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Sabrina! I am also struggling with BED, but unlike you, my doctor is no help. I'm so glad to hear that you have a supportive doctor who is willing to help you. My doctor just talks about portion control and exercise. Spamafote.gif

I'm proud of you for joining MFP, it's my first day back on the website! Please feel free do add me-I'd love a support buddy.
  • sabrinaoverbay
    sabrinaoverbay Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys.
  • Teallaquin
    Teallaquin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a prescription for BED. I thought it was... I don't know, something you had to go to counseling for. I don't know if I meet the criteria for BED but I've had my suspicions, so this is kind of interesting to take into account.

Regardless, I admire you for sharing your story, and I'm sorry you lost your mother so soon. I believe in you -- you're stronger than you realize. :)
  • MezArcher
    MezArcher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    WOW >>>> so other that have BED... but as with egwinnnn my doc doesn't help at all just tells me to keep doing what I am doing which is "overexercise, stave, binge... repeat"
  • sabrinaoverbay
    Options
    Vyvanse has only been approved for B.E.D for a couple of years. It was originally just for ADHD. Try mentioning it to your doctor. Maybe they don't know yet.
  • shyarachinmay8
    shyarachinmay8 Posts: 10 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You started eating healthy and focusing on nutrition and you lost 6 lbs. I'm proud
  • sabrinaoverbay
    Options
    I'm not in therapy. I have never had a good experience. Most of the therapists in my area just use you as a test rat with a bunch of psych meds. I can't do that.
  • sabrinaoverbay
    Options
    I have. They keep LPN's on staff. I don't want to discourage anyone from going, but personally I don't care for them.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel that your medication is a crutch - it's not, any more than taking antibiotics for an illness is a crutch. There are real physical issues with brain chemistry associated with binge eating, and medication really does help some people. I have a friend whose entire life has changed for the better after being on Vyvanse. Hopefully you will see a positive change too. Just taking the step of asking for help is huge and you can be proud of yourself!